Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭breeno

Accu Weather (I know) giving me a 48% chance of snow between 4pm and 6pm (Dublin 6W). I'm choosing to stay optimistic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temps closing in on zero degrees here now from 1 degree earlier in what seems like an ever increasing wind.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

There is minature flakes here which are about the equivalent of a gnats sneeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Graces7 wrote: »
    I lived ten years in Orkney! We had weeks of snow most winters.

Outer Northern Isles though so maybe that is the difference . I think we have spoken before and you are Stromness which is tucked in very close to the Scottish mainland whereas we were deep out in ocean and sea. It makes a climatic difference .

Have a look at a local map? eg at North Ronaldsay's position?

It lasted weeks almost every year. Deep snow. My Home Help would arrive on a tractor. And looking after my livestock in deep snow was interesting .

Lived there over 25 years and on both sides of the island , west and east

The island is a little under 200sq miles

I can confirm none of this smaller surrounding islands would get weeks of snow

Very cold weather, yes
    Very windy yes
    Wet yes
    Hail etc yes , sticking no

As well as my own experience born and bred there , a quick google will also back what I’ve said

Island of sanday had 11 days of snow in 2010 when all of Europe had a lot of snow , apart from that nothing more than 2-5 days

I’m not here to argue with you, just don’t agree with your earlier point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Ironically, about 7 hours into the event we are getting our best flakes of the day here. Could stick at this rate. Oh what could have been.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Slow progress from 4 hours of snow. My back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That heavier burst never happened. Really small grainy snow now - could easily be mistaken for rain:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Still heavy snow in west Galway. It was melting but it seems to have gotten colder again and is sticking.

Some beautiful scenes out there

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

I'm off outside now to look for miniature gnat's sneezes.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Appreciate the regular updates
    Anyone in Clonmel??

Looking at the radar I would say my chances of more today are slim

• Advertisement

Met Eireann radar. Front being eaten alive as it tries to push into central Connacht and southern Leinster:

DoL08dD.gif

The ECMWF 6z has a separate, heavier pulse moving up over the midlands later this evening so let's see how that works out.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Fragmenting visibly now. You'd be lucky to get a heavy burst or two out of that. The downgrades continue. We were hoping for 10-20cm widely earlier in the week but not to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,745 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Heard it and searched, Shannon Rescue down in West Cork. Dirty weather to be called out.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/EIICD/26ccec23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Slow progress from 4 hours of snow. My back garden.

It's just sticking around the edges of my garden now, it's a lot heavier in the air but blowing sideways with the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Persistent light flurries in Castlebar but we really need a good beefy fall for anything to start sticking, currently its all just going sideways on the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I'm off outside now to look for miniature gnat's sneezes.........

if they are being good gnats and wearing their masks you wont see any!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Temps closing in on zero degrees here now from 1 degree earlier in what seems like an ever increasing wind.

The high wins the first battle, but loses the war on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Perfect conditions almost for snow here in N Dublin beside the airport. Wind SE'ly off the sea blowing right through you, temps are at 1.6C with dew -2.1C but no moisture.......... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Fragmenting visibly now. You'd be lucky to get a heavy burst or two out of that. The downgrades continue. We were hoping for 10-20cm widely earlier in the week but not to be.

If by widely you mean localised on high ground.

Heavy and settling in Westport, but 1km out the Castlebar road there's nothing. A coastal snow event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Put on a nice dress you never know.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Carlow fella on Ray D'Arcy show....

That heavier burst never happened. Really small grainy snow now - could easily be mistaken for rain:eek:

Intensity is trying to increase here again but seems to be struggling. It's nice to watch either way but I won't weep when it's over.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I got much more and better than expected in Clare.

You gonna deny that I did? Or would that be too clear a contradiction, and you prefer more dubious statements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Our power has gone now eek.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I got much more and better than expected in Clare.

I got less than expected in Galway. We could argue about this all day but there is no point.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Just outside Galway city, still snowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just popped back for a moment to report serious horizontal snow and it is sticking well already out here. I just ventured out to inspect and was quite staggered at how much is already on the ground and this late in the day and at these temperatures..
    Going to bed with a hot water bottle and as many cats as will join me! The cold in sensational and... quite ....

says she vanishing into a snowdrift...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No matter how hard you look, not a trace of snowfall remaining anywhere now in West Clare, even the hills in Kerry are extremely bare looking, and a good northwesterly always has them pasted.

Have a friend who does night shifts, woke up about an hour ago and refused to believe it had snowed, despite me sending photos. Only when seeing plentiful social media posts did he cop onto it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

But we knew that would happen

These fronts very rarely make it to Dublin with Snow.

I'm on Meath/Westmeath border, was realistic that it would make it that far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement