Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

barney 20v wrote: »
    Genuine question here.,

If, as I suspect this front has broken up and there's nothing of substance coming along behind it in terms of precipitation.. How did so many forecasters get the detail so badly wrong regarding snow into South leinster?

I'm not saying we didn't get the 20 cm estimated at the higher end.. We got nothing.

Genuine question and not a moan.
    Just curious as to how something so widely forecast was 100% wrong.

I don't think the forecast has been all that wrong, so far, I do think the threat of a little snow was hyped up to bejaysus particularly by Virgin Media, who keep showing library pictures of proper snow events as they try to hype up this - their weather man even had a legend showing how much snow is predicted. Silly stuff really - it was always a yellow warning and even then not for the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

You could almost call it a blizzard here in the Westport area - well not by international standards, but it would count as such in the west of Ireland I reckon ;).
    The snow is now being dumped and whipped about by SE winds gusting around 25 knots, sometimes being lifted off the ground to be dumped in another mini drift. Not great accumulations yet, but all sticking now.
    With the he situation and the data I'm getting my (private) predictions are confirmed, and yet I'm surprised :eek:
    Rel. humidity now is 97%, the temperature has held steady for nearly an hour at minus -0.4ºC, dew point -7.9ºC, and the wind has suddenly backed E with an 18.5 knot gust.
    I'll post another image later - weather permitting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Looks interesting out west.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I think what we can take out of this event is don't use the models as gospel but just a guide of what could happen.
    Also if anything can go wrong it more than likely will go wrong in these type of marginal set ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Do Mayo and Galway people own cameras?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Back in Galway city, very light snow, drip drip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Pitiful attempt at snow here in Galway.
    To look outside you'd say "oh wow it's snowing" - but then you look at the cars, look at the driveway / road and nothing sticking. Bit sticking in the grass alright, but other than it hitting you in the face it's like a damn rainy day.

She's hammering down now and sticking alright. North Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not really. About 100m to 150m is my guess. I live nearby.
    That's still very high though.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

precipitation seems to be intensifying over Wicklow near Arklow, anything to report from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Parts of Connacht the place to be today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

pad199207 wrote: »
    Do Mayo and Galway people own cameras?

😂

I’m in north Mayo. It’s snowing lightly, nothing sticking. So windy that the snow is horizontal and there’s nowhere near enough of it to stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Whatever about snow it's bloody cold out here in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Gonzo wrote: »
    precipitation seems to be intensifying over Wicklow near Arklow, anything to report from there?

I'm in Arklow at the moment. No sign of anything yet but the skies to the south look like there might be something cooking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

typhoony wrote: »
    wasnt someone here calling a red warning for north Cork, although i think he\she was discredited. and next day was no mention from that person except to say that some other area would get a severe dumping of snow

its almost as if you cant really 100% trust everyone on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

I am just down the road in Gorey and nothing here yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

Going forward, no forecaster should call snow in this country until there is already a foot of it on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭adocholiday

South of Rathdrum here, nothing falling at the moment but the skies are a very dark grey

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The netweather radar looks interesting between Rathdrum and Wicklow town. Precipitation looks reasonably heavy there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

glack wrote: »
    ��

I’m in north Mayo. It’s snowing lightly, nothing sticking. So windy that the snow is horizontal and there’s nowhere near enough of it to stick.

The same here in foxford.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Going forward, no forecaster should call snow in this country until there is already a foot of it on the ground

As someone said several tens of pages back, boards for chat, met for forecasts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That's still very high though.

42m according to my research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Athenry

543043.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Pretzill wrote: »
    I don't think the forecast has been all that wrong, so far, I do think the threat of a little snow was hyped up to bejaysus particularly by Virgin Media, who keep showing library pictures of proper snow events as they try to hype up this - their weather man even had a legend showing how much snow is predicted. Silly stuff really - it was always a yellow warning and even then not for the entire country.
    Fair points, that said, it was a yellow for South leinster counties and 5cm upwards was forecast.

0 cm was recorded

The SE was forecast to be one of the worst areas but its unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The netweather radar looks interesting between Rathdrum and Wicklow town. Precipitation looks reasonably heavy there.

The UK's Met office radar has Wicklow under far more heavy stuff than met.ie suggests

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1613015700&zoom=7&lon=-5.12&lat=53.09

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Would say about 2cm here and still coming down nicely.
    Outside Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Grogu1983

Nothing here now in Tinahely and I'd be near carlow/arklow.

Fingers crossed we get something soon

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

Nothing here in Wicklow yet. Webcam below (looking north towards Dublin).

http://www.wicklowcam.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

We haven't had an ounce of luck with this so called cold spell. With all the synoptics we had, it should have delivered but didn't. If it's climate change at play, good luck, we'll never get a severe winter more than one a century if that. Snowfall is getting rarer. Frosts are not as severe or widespread generally anymore. We're reduced to squinting for gnat sized snizzle or whatever some poster called it earlier. Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

barney 20v wrote: »
    Fair points, that said, it was a yellow for South leinster counties and 5cm upwards was forecast.

0 cm was recorded

The SE was forecast to be one of the worst areas but its unaffected.

Yeah I can't recall anyone or anything suggesting 0cm in Carlow. Mad stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Seymour20 wrote: »
    Would say about 2cm here and still coming down nicely.
    Outside Westport.

Whats the beautiful scupture for in the middle photo...the famine? Looks like a ghost ship from the Artic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement