Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

This is underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Saw this on Twitter - traffic cam in Maam Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Lip Out wrote: »
    Nothing here in Wicklow yet. Webcam below (looking north towards Dublin).

http://www.wicklowcam.com/

I can see my house from there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This seems to the year where Connemara, of all places, does better for snow than the rest of the country.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Starting to stick now in Castlebar but still lacking any big beefy flakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

speckle wrote: »
    Whats the beautiful scupture for in the middle photo...the famine? Looks like a ghost ship from the Artic!

Its the Famine memorial in Murrisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

speckle wrote: »
    Whats the beautiful scupture for in the middle photo...the famine? Looks like a ghost ship from the Artic!

Famine memorial directly across from the car park at Croagh Patrick (car park is in pic 3). Amazed there isn't at least 1 car there. There's always at least 1 nutjob climbing it irregardless of weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm just south of Rathdrum and it's a bit breezy with heavy slow moving clouds overhead but no sign of any precipitation at all. Now in saying that I'm in a valley in this area so only at 70m or so, it is possible that it's falling elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Wombatman wrote: »
    Athenry

543043.jpg

Snow lies the fields of Athenry!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Famine memorial directly across from the car park at Croagh Patrick (car park is in pic 3). Amazed there isn't at least 1 car there. There's always at least 1 nutjob climbing it irregardless of weather!

Carpark has been closed since level 5 restrictions were introduced in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

We haven't had an ounce of luck with this so called cold spell.

I’d hardly call it a warm spell in fairness....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I'm just south of Rathdrum and it's a bit breezy with heavy slow moving clouds overhead but no sign of any precipitation at all. Now in saying that I'm in a valley in this area so only at 70m or so, it is possible that it's falling elsewhere.

damn. thanks.

UK met and netweather have you under heavy snow right now.

what about now? is it snowing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

As a galway man living there in 2010 and in the big schmoke currently the pictures are tough to look at unless something lands here.

We haven't had an ounce of luck with this so called cold spell. With all the synoptics we had, it should have delivered but didn't. If it's climate change at play, good luck, we'll never get a severe winter more than one a century if that. Snowfall is getting rarer. Frosts are not as severe or widespread generally anymore. We're reduced to squinting for gnat sized snizzle or whatever some poster called it earlier. Bah.

As NeddyUSA said just yesterday, we are capable of getting more snow, and indeed we have gotten more snow, in far milder winters!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Croohur1

I'm just outside Aughrim, Co. Wicklow and supposedly being snowed on as we speak according to Netweather.... Nothing except an odd flake.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Croohur1 wrote: »
    I'm just outside Aughrim, Co. Wicklow and supposedly being snowed on as we speak according to Netweather.... Nothing except an odd flake.

Same in Carlow all day, the radar has snow falling since 2pm but all there is is white specs floating around in the wind

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We haven't had an ounce of luck with this so called cold spell. With all the synoptics we had, it should have delivered but didn't. If it's climate change at play, good luck, we'll never get a severe winter more than one a century if that. Snowfall is getting rarer. Frosts are not as severe or widespread generally anymore. We're reduced to squinting for gnat sized snizzle or whatever some poster called it earlier. Bah.

Mod Note: I'm getting tired of the constantly negative posts with very little to back it up. Decent snowfall/cold winters in Ireland is alot more than once per century. Sure this cold spell hasn't gone as hoped, we got unlucky this time around but came so close to a a great spell of winter weather. You never back up anything you say with the constant conveyer belt of negativity and this same tune cannot continue.

They are getting very decent snowfall right now in parts of Mayo and Galway, it may not be where you are or I am and Friday night may still deliver for a wider portion of the country. We are well aware how disappointed you are, you don't need to remind us any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mr Wood

Light snow blowing in the wind in Blessington Co. Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Redsercurran

Tiny flakes blowing around here in Naas. Is there still hope??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

'Snow Joke out there folks...

Is a photo required?

Colleagues reporting goodish snow in Galway city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

I have turned around to look out the window a total of 123457990 times so far today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Brz555

pad199207 wrote: »
    Do Mayo and Galway people own cameras?

Won't let me upload because I'm a new user..anyway around that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Cw85 wrote: »
    I have turned around to look out the window a total of 123457990 times so far today :)

I've gone from looking at a radar which had snow hundreds of km away to looking out the window straight away expecting snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Brz555 wrote: »

Do Mayo and Galway people own time machines? :D

Croohur1 wrote: »

Radar is picking up precipitation that's not reaching the ground
    Same here in Arklow
    You'll probably have better luck tomorrow evening

Brz555 wrote: »

https://imgur.com/upload

Just upload pic/vid and link image on here.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ctomas

Near headford, Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Never have I come across a person as glass half empty on this forum, it’s mind boggling. Glad to see a lot of people / counties got some great quantities of snow today, particularly counties that traditionally see less of it. Get out there and make the most of the goodness
    sjb25 wrote: »
    You must be fun at party’s......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BullBauld

This burnt out before it got going in Roscommon. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Flakes have turned to a flurry here in Kildare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement