Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Tiny snowflakes dancing in the wind here in Firhouse Dublin 24.

The song they are dancing to is "Cruel Winter" by Snowmamrama

(Apologies to all you 80s kids out there who know the original)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Whisper snow here - kissing the wind.

Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Tiny snowflakes dancing in the wind here in Firhouse Dublin 24.

The song they are dancing to is "Cruel Winter" by Snowmamrama

(Apologies to all you 80s kids out there who know the original)

Also in Dublin 24 with the dancing tiny snowflakes - I think the wind is picking up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Some great photos being posted, keep them coming !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

I thought the Wicklow mountains would have taken all me snow today, turns out it was Galway and Mayo! Fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Flakes getting bigger here with a purer quality about them. They are not so much falling as floating. One flake even came up to the window, stalled for a quick peek in, then flew off again to continue to do its thing.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Gonzo wrote: »
    you have to wonder will Friday night/Saturday morning even deliver now, the same thing could happen again but the models do look a bit more hopeful for the next event however that snow shadow is still there for the Dublin/Meath/Kildare regions to some extent.

I can't see the event reaching Dublin. Odds are against us here.
    At least it be dry if it doesn't reach us and we can get out for a walk etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Snowing again in west Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭John mac

Sticking here ,, (for those on mobile foxford) still a savage wind , proper big flakes now .

just noticed the location isnt displaying under the avatar ,, it used to ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Flakes getting bigger here with a purer quality about them. They are not so much falling as floating. One flake even came up to the window, stalled for a quick peek in, then flew off again to continue to do its thing.

Love that description! I'm in my 50's and love the snow as much as I did when I was 5! Maybe even more so.
    (Maybe I've enough hot whiskies : )....)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Fair dumping today in Loughrea Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

A light dusting here despite 5 hours of snowfall. Better than none I suppose. Also its the longest snowfall I've witnessed since I lived in wexford in the 80's.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1NIJFLL

When is the snow due to finish in Galway? I thought the precipitation was only going to last a few hours. I reckon we have 4-5cm already.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Below the image promised. Compare that with the image posted previously (at 15:00 hours, page 341) and you'll see what has accumulated.
    Still snowing and blowing here near Westport and nice drifts developing.
    Current humidity is 97% , the temp. is minus,[B-0.5ºC[/B] with a dp of -4.8ºC, wind chill is -8.0ºC in the E wind gusting between 20 and 30 knots.
    Snow intensity has just increased as I write.
    I was hoping for that front to stall around here, and apparently it just did that, leaving Westport in winter wonderland.
    MT, the braincase (= Cranium) had some gut feeling there, too, if I read right between the lines. :D
    Note: MWR local radio just warned that the N5 between Westport and Castlebar is getting dangerous because of the snow despite repeated gritting.

543063.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

In the Glen of Aherlow this evening just a couple of inchs but nice fresh crunchy snow where we were. Less than a mile down the hill in any direction there was very very little snow. Nice to throw a few snowballs think I enjoyed it more than the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

When is the snow due to finish in Galway? I thought the precipitation was only going to last a few hours. I reckon we have 4-5cm already.

Look at the rainfall radar on met .ie.

It gives you a fair idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

watlantic wrote: »
    Below the image promised. Compare that with the image posted previously (at 15:00 hours, page 341) and you'll see what has accumulated.
    Still snowing and blowing here near Westport and nice drifts developing.
    Current humidity is 97% , the temp. is minus,[B-0.5ºC[/B] with a dp of -4.8ºC, wind chill is -8.0ºC in the E wind gusting between 20-25 knots.
    Snow intensity has just increased as I write.
    I was hoping for that front to stall around here, and apparently it just did that, leaving Westport in winter wonderland.
    MT, the braincase (= Cranium) had some gut feeling there, too, if I read right between the lines. :D
    Note: MWR local radio just warned that the N5 between Westport and Castlebar is getting dangerous because of the snow despite repeated gritting.

543063.jpg

Brilliant. Enjoy.

Look at the rainfall radar on met .ie.

It gives you a fair idea.

I am watching the radar all day but it doesn't seem to end.
    The radar only has a certain range to SW.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

In the Glen of Aherlow this evening just a couple of inchs but nice fresh crunchy snow where we were. Less than a mile down the hill in any direction there was very very little snow. Nice to throw a few snowballs think I enjoyed it more than the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Flakes have increased in size here in Athenry, just before it stops by the looks of the radar. Roughly 6 hours so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye when am I to get snow I'm in mohill

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭teddybones

Mad. Absolutely nothing in wicklow Town.

Really have no idea but this is the latest radar animation. Just a matter of making a rough guess when it will stop:

A6qoNYe.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Precipitation has extended in to SW Donegal. I don't think it was modeled to travel that far north but I haven't being paying close attention.

Great pics from Galway and Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Really have no idea but this is the latest radar animation. Just a matter of making a rough guess when it will stop:

A6qoNYe.gif

Era Easterlies are just for the west coasters anyway. Give the rest of us a good snowy north westerly any day over this mild Irish Sea muck...:)

Place is turning white here now with a definite reduction in vis. Hope Nacho is fairing just as well if not better up there in the heart of Mayo.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Separately, any snow yet in "Blanch / D15"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Its hammering down here in tuam co galway
    wGp0hbL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Bitterly cold here in Dublin 8 and extremely windy however fortunately enough it is staying dry despite it being very cloudy...looks like Dublin is going to avoid the worst of it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement