Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Some great photos so far from Galway and Tip in particular.
    Nothing so far up this side yet as expected, maybe later, but its bitter out.
    The only thing blowing about in the wind here is the birds including this chap that knows to go somewhere warm for its food.
    nor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Bitterly cold here in Dublin 8 and extremely windy however fortunately enough it is staying dry despite it being very cloudy...looks like Dublin is going to avoid the worst of it...

Freezing cold south-easterly wind in D16. Grey but dry. Around 2c. Such a pity the snow is not making it to this area. If it was rain it would

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

And parts of West Cork are already starting to flood. Looks like its gonna be a bad weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Still just wind and rain in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Pretty decent event here overall, has transitioned to hail now so I’d imagine the Atlantic will come a knocking soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Bitterly cold here in Dublin 8 and extremely windy however fortunately enough it is staying dry despite it being very cloudy...looks like Dublin is going to avoid the worst of it...

A light dusting at the very best, I sense. Pity given all of the positive forecasting and predictions.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

More rain than this morning or has it eased off?

Brought the dog for a walk in a wood near Westport, he enjoyed the snow and I got to pretend I was in the Revenant. The icy flakes blowing into the face were quite painful. Beautiful as it is I'm hoping it won't last the night, a lot of quite shocked looking birds on the branches.
    I would post a few pics but last time I did the dog sued me for a GDPR breach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Two little pot plants I bought only yesterday. don't think they are going to survive.

RWKDroa.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Yep we were unlucky today, travelled back from Dungarvan to Waterford approx 4pm and very heavy wet snow the whole way until I reached Kilmeaden very poor visibility. 1c temp in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

2 big snowmen, kids very happy.

Arthritic dog gone mental, very happy.

Herself just after getting whitewashed, not ****ing impressed.

whitewashed=unexpected batch of snow to gob

Golfman64 wrote: »
    A light dusting at the very best, I sense. Pity given all of the positive forecasting and predictions.....

Nothing much was predicted for this front for Dublin. The west has done better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

got some lovely photos gotta get baby cretin to bed she's wrecked. what a magical day.
    I went for walk on land soft quite sounds crunch of snow. just amazing. so special, the complete opposite to covid quietness. an amazing day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam co galway 11/02/21
    fJrcfBd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I seen the Scottish Highlands got down to - 22.9c last night coldest since 1995

This would have been perfect weather for Christmas Eve evening.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

But people want Snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

johnny45 wrote: »
    But people want Snow.

Ignore. He’s been trolling the forum all week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Just started snowing again 5 kms NW of Galway city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Can anyone Confirm what time roughly it will be snowing here in mohill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Time for a beer.

[IMG][/img]IMG-20210211-175235.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

AuntySnow wrote: »

Nay bother ...sure i was following Billy Connolly home and I dinnay want him to see me! :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I was thinking the same earlier! It’s stopped a good while now in my locale and we only got a dusting even though it fell for 5 hours. Beautiful though. Hoping we’re in for a bit more overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Looks like it might actually top up some of snow starved people in Laois/Kilkenny/Wicklow/Carlow

It might also fizzle out before it reaches that far inland, like today :mad:

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Can anyone Confirm what time roughly it will be snowing here in mohill

It's really hard to tell but hopefully what seems to be a slightly invigorated front down here will make it up as far as you soon before it dies away completely. Just keep an eye on the radar.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I've reported your post for cruelty to Aunties :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Time for a beer.

[IMG][/img]IMG-20210211-175235.jpg

Must resist jibe that Coors light is not a beer................ Nice dude, enjoy the beer and the snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Latest guidance seems to have removed any further chance for snow in some parts of the southeast, while suggesting that other areas may start to see snow reaching the ground this evening and overnight. In some cases it appears that snow is evaporating in the dry lower levels across the inland southeast and also in Wicklow at present, therefore radar echoes but no snow (of consequence) reported yet. Mind you it wasn't really expected to start in Wicklow or to answer the question of snow/snow shadow in Kildare-Dublin until about now anyway, so that leaves the snow-free outcome in counties like Kilkenny, Carlow and Wexford (perhaps Laois although some chance it will start up there) as the main bust of the event so far (there could in time be a wider bust however model guidance still shows that some snow is going to happen in Laois, Offaly, some parts of Kildare/Meath and east Wicklow. Dublin was always a bit iffy and I think eventually it will turn out hit or miss there later tonight.

The Connacht snow was not unexpected but perhaps the duration and the fact that it outperformed other portions of the frontal band can be seen as unexpected. The fact that snow is falling right out to the coast around Westport and even Belmullet has a mix shows that cold air has won a battle today, also the prolonged 1-2 C readings around Cork indicate that the milder Atlantic air has little push on it but perhaps a weak wave formed within the frontal structure and advected a slight amount of warmth into the south coast further east around Waterford. That should however become a positive factor later on for the chances for snow in Wicklow, possibly even north Wexford.

Relative humidity values around 65% both ahead of the snow and in lighter portions of the snow band (earlier noted this at Gurteen) indicate that the falling snow is evaporating at some level probably about the height of the Slieve Bloom and upper parts of the Wicklow mountains. That won't suddenly change but the rates may improve later on, although eventually then we run up against the end of the entire phase one of this two-phase breakdown event (here comes my nineteenth nervous breakdown could be the soundtrack perhaps).

water flowing under ... same as it ever was ...

I think the Connacht snow will continue for a good while yet and taper off later tonight, some mixing with rain could occur just right along the Galway shoreline but there's no strong push left to the mild air for now, we await the lull for tomorrow followed by the second wave Friday night into Saturday.

Best estimate at this point, another 5 cm or more possible in Connacht where already snowing, 1 to 3 cm may develop in some but not all areas between that snow and Dublin, 3 to 8 cm may develop in Wicklow if the lower levels saturate more. Nothing expected in most of Ulster and north Leinster unless they get remnants later overnight, would likely be towards 0300h if that happens at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement