Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

NW of Galway at 4 pm, still snowing here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

All things considered we done well in the west.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Looks like it might actually top up some of snow starved people in Laois/Kilkenny/Wicklow/Carlow

It might also fizzle out before it reaches that far inland, like today :mad:

This has been over me the last hour
    Bone dry underneath it
    Not a flake
    The air is too cold and dry in the east for the fronts precip to reach the ground

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    More rain than this morning or has it eased off?

It's never been particularly heavy, like a driving drizzle, looks worse cos of the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Phantom snow here in Donegal atm going by the radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Almost 2cm here in the last hour and still going. Another couple of hours left going by the radar, although I've said that a few times already today.
    5k south of Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Delighted for all who got snow today especially those who hardly ever get any!

However I'm bitterly disappointed about the lack of snow in Dublin.

I was really looking forward to a distraction from all the other sh**e going on as well as fun with the kids.

Instead a bone dry bitter cold wind and an unused sled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I do have to say the snow here a few weeks ago in parts of Dublin was very impressive and the best we saw since 2018. I know 6cm is hardly huge but was enough for big snowmen, sledge out and snowball fights for kids for a few days
    Gonzo wrote: »
    and for once it isn't the UK taking all the snow. Great to see somewhere in Ireland getting proper snow which is the first real snow since March 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

I was really looking forward to a distraction from all the other sh**e going on as well as fun with the kids.

Met Éireann still giving snow for tonight with some accumulations, is that not going to happen now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It's really hard to tell but hopefully what seems to be a slightly invigorated front down here will make it up as far as you soon before it dies away completely. Just keep an eye on the radar.

I will indeed thanks so much, I just want some snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

I do have to say the snow here a few weeks ago in parts of Dublin was very impressive and the best we saw since 2018. I know 6cm is hardly huge but was enough for big snowmen, sledge out and snowball fights for kids for a few days

That was very localized snow, we got barely a cm. Until 2018 is a distant memory then all snow events within a few years of it will be compared to it unfortunately. Roll on the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

watlantic wrote: »
    Below the image promised. Compare that with the image posted previously (at 15:00 hours, page 341) and you'll see what has accumulated.
    Still snowing and blowing here near Westport and nice drifts developing.
    Current humidity is 97% , the temp. is minus,[B-0.5ºC[/B] with a dp of -4.8ºC, wind chill is -8.0ºC in the E wind gusting between 20 and 30 knots.
    Snow intensity has just increased as I write.
    I was hoping for that front to stall around here, and apparently it just did that, leaving Westport in winter wonderland.
    MT, the braincase (= Cranium) had some gut feeling there, too, if I read right between the lines. :D
    Note: MWR local radio just warned that the N5 between Westport and Castlebar is getting dangerous because of the snow despite repeated gritting.

543063.jpg

All the obove parameters remain almost unchanged, except that I 'sniff' more wetness in the snow, even though the data don't support that :P
    Below is the final picture for today (snow around here doesn't like flash photography. It melts if you flash it :eek:)

Very difficult to measure the amount as the 'white gold' was going up and down all the time, drifting, lifting, etc.. The camera angle for the three images was always the same towards a spot around here which would show an average accumulation (but I also got a drift behind the house well in excess of a foot (30 cms) deep, but there's another place where the wind swept it all away).
    Snowfall decreasing as I write, yet I'm hooked now and want more:o

543077.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Clare and Tipperary

Met Éireann Weather Warning

UPDATE: A slow-moving band of sleet and snow will continue to give some further snow accumulations overnight.

Valid: 17:00 Thursday 11/02/2021 to 08:00 Friday 12/02/2021

Issued: 17:11 Thursday 11/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

With exception of the BFTE I doubt we have had 9 hours of continual snowfall [and still falling] in Galway city since December 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just a quick post between power cuts..

Snow here! The wide fields are white as far as I could see before dark. And a centimetre or two on the path at the door but drifting so uneven and I did try to measure it just now and all but got blown over!

The cold is stultifying and takes the breath away. And still snowing lightly. Who knows what it will be like in the morning... Wonderful thought as the vista of snowy fields I got a glimpse of was breathtaking..

Hope all are safe and happy.. and warm! will try for photos tomorrow.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

Nothing here in North Kildare.

Very disappointed. :(

Still there's more time left in this one, and the winter!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

An example of the near constant intensity of the snow here. Not in anyway heavy by any means but started to stick about an hour or so ago, my guess is that was due to the ground and surfaces in general cooling down due to the effect of 'evaporative cooling' due to the nippy wind early. Temp continues to flit around the zero mark but winds have eased considerably.

https://streamable.com/fn2dbs

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes, second this.
    Unused sled and all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Weather in this country sucks!
    Charts are like roulette.
    We pine for sun and pine for snow and get practically neither of both..
    Who else is feeling dejected? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Brz555

Definitely not a let down here, almost 7 hours of constant snow and it's still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Mafra wrote: »
    Weather in this country sucks!
    Charts are like roulette.
    We pine for sun and pine for snow and get practically neither of both..
    Who else is feeling dejected? Lol

Me!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

davidsr20 wrote: »
    All things considered we done well in the west.

We usually dont so we'll take it. I have never seen so much snow in my location in west Galway, near Lough Corrib. I always blamed the lake.
    Today was great fun. Sorry no pictures - I don't know how to post them!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

Brz555 wrote: »
    Definitely not a let down here, almost 7 hours of constant snow and it's still going strong.

Where are you based ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We've gone from grains back to a few flakes. I just hope the front bringing Saturday night and Sunday's rain stays intact. I really miss the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cfresident

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Bitterly cold here in Dublin 8 and extremely windy however fortunately enough it is staying dry despite it being very cloudy...looks like Dublin is going to avoid the worst of it...

C U Next Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Brz555

iagreebut wrote: »
    Where are you based ?
    5k from galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Like a few other posters,disappointed Dublin never got a belt, I hope before we get to Spring there is a fair dumping,hand on heart,it would give the kids a right good lift,only so much they can do in between homework etc,come on big man up the stairs,give us a dumping soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo has had snow showing over it on all radars for past 2 hours but nothing just wind wind and wind

Is there anywhere you can see where precipitation is ACTUALLY falling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes quite pleasantly surprised with that we've gotten so far in West Mayo given yesterdays forecast, but not surprised based on how cold it felt this morning before it reached us around noon. Never felt like it was going to warm up.

P.S. Finally a use for those bloody face masks. Just back from a hour long walk and the mask made such a difference. How did it take a pandemic to realize how easy it is to keep ones face warm without wearing an unconformable balaclava. More effective than a scarf too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

We usually dont so we'll take it. I have never seen so much snow in my location in west Galway, near Lough Corrib. I always blamed the lake.
    Today was great fun. Sorry no pictures - I don't know how to post them!

Use an image embed site like Imgur and copy/paste link using the "insert image" embed tool on Boards or in the case of Imgur, press the 3 dots on your image, get share links and copy BBCode and paste directly onto Boards.

Or just simply attach the images to post provided they're 4MB at most.

No excuses now :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement