Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

bazlers wrote: »
    As GL alluded to awhile back when you look at model runs you try to see what they are gauging and compare with models and come up with your idea of what could happen. Possibly MTCs experience tells him things might move slightly North. Thats just my take on it.
    You certainly could be right too.

Kinda like.......forecasting

(only slagging:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

KungPao wrote: »
    Been following this the last few days. But I am starting to have a bad feeling this will only amount to a soggy cool period. Some sleet where I am (Dublin), but no snow to speak of, and zero accumulation. Then back to 8 degrees soon after from the westerlies. Hope I’m wrong obviously.

based on what models or forecasts??
    there's 3 days of minus temperatures nailed on a Dublin is looking good for snow in all forecast models?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Been following this the last few days. But I am starting to have a bad feeling this will only amount to a soggy cool period. Some sleet where I am (Dublin), but no snow to speak of, and zero accumulation. Then back to 8 degrees soon after from the westerlies. Hope I’m wrong obviously.

No need to hope you're wrong, you are. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

542006.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

This is one of them rare occasions that the models are getting better the closer we get. Just like 2010 and 2018..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Eh Dublin looks like being right in the firing line from Sunday evening onwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

On what basis are you making this assumtpion?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is there a way online to get the dew point air temperature in as close to real time for Casemont, please and thank you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

The Netweather radar used to be good but it seems off these days

Met E seems to be the most exact

Looks like that was the one, disappointed to hear it's not as good. Will have an array of them open!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Is there a way online to get the dew point air temperature in as close to real time for Casemont, please and thank you?

I would usually use https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/EIME.html Updates every 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

This cold spell will end in a battle ground situation where north from Galway to Wicklow line will see some significant snow between Wednesday to Thursday. 6z gfs wants to extend the longevity of this cold spell, confidence is low on this I would expect milder by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Burts Bee wrote: »
    And then?!!

And then you're a week away from today - so the likely weather is anyone's guess.
    Any forecast for that range is just as accurate as a forecast for the second week of February 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

We have gotten very little in Gorey Weford over these last few weeks. Crazy that just a few miles up the road got some decent amounts. Im hoping this cold spell next week will see our fortunes change...

Seems to be a south easterly flow on both the GFS and ECM. Don't think that will suit me at all here in Wexford. I'd say there will be a Pembrokeshire shadow in operation but Waterford/Cork will do very well out of streamers if this is the case

06-102-ukthickness850.png

06-150-ukthickness850.png

00-144-thickuk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I'm getting giddy already. Why does snow do this to me, I'm a grown adult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

How's Cork looking TheMilkyPirate?

leahyl wrote: »
    How's Cork looking TheMilkyPirate?

See above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

YanSno wrote: »
    This cold spell will end in a battle ground situation where north from Galway to Wicklow line will see some significant snow between Wednesday to Thursday. 6z gfs wants to extend the longevity of this cold spell, confidence is low on this I would expect milder by Friday.

Well thanks a lot from the snow deprived south of that line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

The latest graduate from my school of weather pessimism. With honours I might add.
    It won't be soggy at least not for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ah...nice save ;):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I'm getting giddy already. Why does snow do this to me, I'm a grown adult

An rud is annamh is iontach.

What is seldom is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

What are you basing this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

does Dublin do okay in a SE? no shadows I can see of for us there... but im a novice at this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

The public have definitely jumped on the online ordering bandwagon for ski gear.....cannot get kids gloves anywhere! Waterproofs enroute!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

put plastic bags on their hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Sorry about doing the "will it snow in my backyard" thing but I'm working Sunday and it will affect what I will be doing.

I know that the really cold air is due to arrive Sunday evening will there likely be frost on Sunday morning North Kildare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Seems to be a south easterly flow on both the GFS and ECM. Don't think that will suit me at all here in Wexford. I'd say there will be a Pembrokeshire shadow in operation but Waterford/Cork will do very well out of streamers if this is the case

06-102-ukthickness850.png

06-150-ukthickness850.png

00-144-thickuk.png

Wait!! What!!

Where TF is my ENE gone!! ie. My 225km Sea Fetch between Bray and Morecambe Bay/Blackpool with 8ºc SST's and -12ºc Uppers???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

TTLF wrote: »
    does Dublin do okay in a SE? no shadows I can see of for us there... but im a novice at this :pac:

The Shadow is called Wales !!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

How would that SE tilt effect Kilkenny?

I have notice Mt Leinster and surrounding areas seems to a like a barrier to the heavier stuff at times :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Calibos wrote: »
    Wait!! What!!

Where TF is my ENE gone!! ie. My 225km Sea Fetch between Bray and Morecambe Bay/Blackpool with 8ºc SST's and -12ºc Uppers???

We borrowed it down to Cork for a while. Sorry about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement