Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    Love the optimism but the general consensus (if there ever is such a thing on boards) on the technical thread coupled with Met forecast seems to indicate this one is done. Again hope that's inaccurate. Time too log off methinks and just see what happens!

Auntie my fellow East Coast stavationalised snowbie. I promised you some snow pics.

Normally when I say "I hate to say I told you so... but I told you so!" I normally mean it in a smug way and am actually glad to say I told you so. But in this case - am not at all. Gutted!

Nothing all week on East Coast central Wicklow. Nothing predicted by the so called chocolate teapot weather apps...

Weather Apps 1:0 Boards.

:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This would have been perfect weather for Christmas Eve evening.

Don't forget to turn the lights out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yeah I get it was very localised but it was still
    5 hours of solid heavy snow with perfect powder and lasted a number of days. It was a winter wonderland for this area of Dublin. It was like walking in a snow globe for 5 hours
    That was very localized snow, we got barely a cm. Until 2018 is a distant memory then all snow events within a few years of it will be compared to it unfortunately. Roll on the spring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Snow has finally stopped here, time for a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Westport to Castlebar Rd. Tricky driving condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Don't forget to turn the lights out!

It's that kind of snow!
    The beauty of the fox in that ad give sends chills down my spine.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snowing for past 2 hours in Sligo.....on radar only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Wow great pics of the west. Looks like a different world. So weird to think it's only 200km away from me. That seems rare doesn't it, snow in the west but not Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Still very windy here. If we had managed to get some heavy snow it would have been blizzard like, but i guess it was not meant to be. It's good to see places that usually miss out got hours of heavy snow today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pauldry wrote: »
    Snowing for past 2 hours in Sligo.....on radar only

Same. M.T. Cranium explained the reason why earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Its mad to say nearly up to the hour we couldnt predict where was going to see snow. Nature still rules and amazes.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Snow has stopped here too despite the radar showing the best returns for this spot all day!
    5k south of Tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yeah I get it was very localised but it was still
    5 hours of solid heavy snow with perfect powder and lasted a number of days. It was a winter wonderland for this area of Dublin. It was like walking in a snow globe for 5 hours

This image shows just how localised that snowfall was

Capture.png

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/?zoom=12&lat=53.41741&lng=-6.20487&themeId=DEFAULT-THEME&datasetId=S2L2A&fromTime=2021-01-25T00%3A00%3A00.000Z&toTime=2021-01-25T23%3A59%3A59.999Z&layerId=1_TRUE_COLOR&visualizationUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fservices.sentinel-hub.com%2Fogc%2Fwms%2Fbd86bcc0-f318-402b-a145-015f85b9427e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Also shows why our friend in Coleraine was unhappy with that event :pac:

Capture2.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Wow great pics of the west. Looks like a different world. So weird to think it's only 200km away from me. That seems rare doesn't it, snow in the west but not Dublin?

Weather can change quickly in a short distance. I'm only 120 miles from the parts of Scotland that fell to <-10c last night but I had a min of only -1c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1359933679045402624/photo/2

Just when I got off the snow train
    "Met Éireann have updated their snow warning for tonight to only include Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Clare and Tipperary now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

Same. M.T. Cranium explained the reason why earlier.

How many posts back nacho?

Is it to do with heights?

Every day is a school day even for the weather obsessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/six-one-weather/SI0000003608?epguid=IH000394206

Rte mentioning southern half of Leinster. If this gives me more than todays system, but melts before the morning - what a waste

I need JS around to stop making me look like a mad man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I don’t have the patience to read through 450 pages. Can someone tell me if it will snow in Dublin tomorrow? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 themiddleman

Can't wait. Seems like its been up there forever.

• Advertisement

Hearing people talk of power cuts indicates how much we would rely on solid fuel in a situation like this. If you have a new build with no stove & no open fire and the power goes, how do you turn on the heat or cook your food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Now I know how Louth felt in the 2010 Leinster Final. An hour of light snow with moderate bursts and the wind drying it all up. Most unusual easterly ever experienced in these parts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hearing people talk of power cuts indicates how much we would rely on solid fuel in a situation like this. If you have a new build with no stove & no open fire and the power goes, how do you turn on the heat or cook your food?

You don't! However vote green and the nasty storms will go away! :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

I don’t have the patience to read through 450 pages. Can someone tell me if it will snow in Dublin tomorrow? :)

Maybe have a look in the technical thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

ughhhhhhh, done.....Its time for wine!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Invest in a generator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Will there be a counselling thread for those who haven't received the white gold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

As konman said, maybe have a look in the technical thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I think West Dublin wil get a few cm overnight or tomorrow morning but I just cannot see it going any further... Even West Dublin could be a stretch... I think Saturday morning is more promising...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

highdef wrote: »
    As konman said, maybe have a look in the technical thread.

Are they really still looking at models over there and talking about what might happen? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement