Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Showers coming in off the coast around the Dungarvan/Youghal area look to be genuine and not just the cooling showing up around Wicklow.

Anyone able to confirm if sleety in nature? :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    Auntie my fellow East Coast stavationalised snowbie. I promised you some snow pics.

Normally when I say "I hate to say I told you so... but I told you so!" I normally mean it in a smug way and am actually glad to say I told you so. But in this case - am not at all. Gutted!

Nothing all week on East Coast central Wicklow. Nothing predicted by the so called chocolate teapot weather apps...

Weather Apps 1:0 Boards.

:(

I will see your weather Apps and raise you this from the 02/02/21

543087.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Wow great pics of the west. Looks like a different world. So weird to think it's only 200km away from me. That seems rare doesn't it, snow in the west but not Dublin?

Some of those 2 inch snow pics are only 20km from me and nothing on the ground at all here.
    The wind was too strong and air too dry.
    Ewes here fighting each other for water the past two days - never seen the like of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

We had a bitterly cold day here with strong dry winds feeding in off the Irish Sea - lack of snowfall was disappointing, but at least the ground is drying quickly. Every cloud and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

I will see your weather Apps and raise you this from the 02/02/21

543087.JPG

Ah yeah. Tongue in cheek. I know they're rubbish 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Still pelting down here. Would say it’s the best snow event here since 2010. Power just went out too.
    Murrisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The wind would cut the face off ya.

smart.jpg smart.jpg

Roughly up to 5/6cm on the paths not being lashed out of it by wind all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

At this stage, there's nothing for us in the east to do but...

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The wind would cut the face off ya.

Roughly up to 5/6cm on the paths not being lashed out of it by wind all day.

Great stuff redsteveireland.

No snow here near Tralee but the wind was something else. Tried to do some work out around the back and in the garage but I couldn't keep warm , gave up in the afternoon after a few attempts. High of 4.2C but around 3.5C much of the day with a wind chill reading of -3C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Would you expect tonight's showers to effect the south as per the RTE 6 o clock weather tonight?
    That kinda surprised me. I know it is of little consequence if followed by rain/sleet but interested to hear your thoughts on tonight's potential if any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Last one I swear.

https://streamable.com/q2tyy9

Damn wind covering up the crunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

No snow in mohill yet according to met Éireann radar it's here

giphy.gif

Its actually no different to people over in East and Southeast England looking at Wales or Ireland getting frontal snow fromcold that originally came to them first
    Same phenomenon eg northeast or Eastern England looking at Emma (even though they had snow but not an Emma Dump)
    So we easterners can't complain
    As I said elsewhere, it's a joy tonight only matched by what is its brevity and the size of the tease and the lies the models fed the rest of us
    Might see snow here tomorrow night but I doubt it
    Other than that I'm done at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Well, my predictions for lots of snow for swords and balbriggan on wednesday was 100% incorrect, facepalm. And when I say there is no chance of snow sticking for swords and balbriggan tonight and friday, then It will most definitely 100% snow heavy in those parts. I'm like the backwards man, when I say something will happen it doesn't happen, and when I say something won't happen it happens, hence the backwards man. I'm a walking and talking anticyclone, and the models all week were completely all over the place.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Still going in Castlebar. Tricky journey to Westport later.

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Still going in Castlebar. Tricky journey to Westport later.

Stop making me jelious haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

4pm claregalway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

4pm claregalway

You're downvoting snow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Small drift (max. about a foot deep) near Westport. Sorry about the poor quality of images today.

543091.jpg

watlantic wrote: »
    Small drift (max. about a foot deep) near Westport. Sorry about the poor quality of images today.

543091.jpg

Omg it's very rare to see such a depth of snow over there

• Advertisement

Sorry if I'm spamming the page but no snow here, yet it shows it on the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Blizzard conditions on achill earlier.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GEM0/status/1359926375059177476

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Grace may have had snow today. If the above is accurate.

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm spamming the page but no snow here, yet it shows it on the radar

I had the same earlier
    Its common in snow,its there but just not reaching the ground and won't
    The radar signals are high enough to bounce off it though so they give a return
    Its a fault of the system in snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

lol boards.ie is a mystery to me I thought I got a card!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A disappointing day for many but we came very close to something epic. 1C nearly all day here (Cork) which isn't bad going and still sleeting away so the mild air didn't actually make any progress.
    Main things for me that went wrong ( bareing in mind the West did very well)

- Onshore galeforce southeasterly meant the sea modification which might usually be coastal had an effect even 60kms inland. Almost the sole reason Limerick saw snow and Cork saw sleet.
    - We were unlucky the week before last night skies were cloudy so no frost or proper ground cold took place. If it did clear overnights would have been -6 and days would have been sub zero. The depth of cold was the real deal but the skies didn't clear.
    - Growing up in the 80s today was a regular theme with snow inland and rain in places like Cork. That was always the norm and nothing to do with GW

So onwards and upwards and folks making stabs at anyone is unfair. Most on here are amateurs and even the respected Met Office in UK had a lot of snow for us than actually transpired. A degree or two either way really is the difference between snowmen and pram shaking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Grace may have had snow today. If the above is accurate.

She went to bed

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I had the same earlier
    Its common in snow,its there but just not reaching the ground and won't
    The radar signals are high enough to bounce off it though so they give a return
    Its a fault of the system in snow

Thanks auntie snow, I thought I was losing the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Still flurrying away here but not adding anything to the earlier accumulation:

https://streamable.com/iwtqnt

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

A disappointing day for many but we came very close to something epic. 1C nearly all day here (Cork) which isn't bad going and still sleeting away so the mild air didn't actually make any progress.
    Main things for me that went wrong ( bareing in mind the West did very well)

- Onshore galeforce southeasterly meant the sea modification which might usually be coastal had an effect even 60kms inland. Almost the sole reason Limerick saw snow and Cork saw sleet.
    - We were unlucky the week before last night skies were cloudy so no frost or proper ground cold took place. If it did clear overnights would have been -6 and days would have been sub zero. The depth of cold was the real deal but the skies didn't clear.
    - Growing up in the 80s today was a regular theme with snow inland and rain in places like Cork. That was always the norm and nothing to do with GW

So onwards and upwards and folks making stabs at anyone is unfair. Most on here are amateurs and even the respected Met Office in UK had a lot of snow for us than actually transpired. A degree or two either way really is the difference between snowmen and pram shaking...

24591-C60-8-B49-42-AB-9157-DBCC171-D871-E.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement