Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

Nice bit of snow lying in headford since it got dark. 2 fine snowmen in 2 weeks or so.
    Was doing irish with the young lad a few weeks ago learning about winter and a snowman. I remember saying to him that he would probably never get to make a snowman and I'd show him some photos we took back in the good old days. He was very disappointed. How wrong I was. We got nothing here in 2018 and very little snow even in 2010 so well overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

We got a lovely little 20 minute flurry in Athlone today and that was it. it didnt stick, but it was very pretty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

ronman wrote: »
    Nice bit of snow lying in headford since it got dark. 2 fine snowmen in 2 weeks or so.
    Was doing irish with the young lad a few weeks ago learning about winter and a snowman. I remember saying to him that he would probably never get to make a snowman and I'd show him some photos we took back in the good old days. He was very disappointed. How wrong I was. We got nothing here in 2018 and very little snow even in 2010 so well overdue.

Congrats delighted for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Other than that I'm done at this.

Me too.
    Can we have a storm now please?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

All depends where you live Gonzo. Easterlys are good for those exposed to them. They're crap where am I. But I appreciate they can deliver to other parts of the island and my back garden isn't the be all and end all. You said Northerlys are cold are dry, for your location. For here its the opposite, they bring snow. Easterlys are cold are dry here, while it will deliver for your location. We can't base the entire islands fortunes based off of our own local conditions.

Northerlys are best for here. But they don't deliver the goods to some. So they won't be keen on them. Northerlys are rare these days. Well proper ones.

There is definitely a snow snobbery about here though lol. If the snow doesn't come from East, or it isn't in their back garden. Then it doesn't count and its not "real" snow. Even if that snow remains for 4 or 5 days on the ground.

Just an observation which I find funny and very unique. No dramas haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm spamming the page but no snow here, yet it shows it on the radar

Have a read https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=116247820&postcount=5341

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tyrone212 wrote: »

No wonder Grace is all tucked up. That looks like something you would see in Newfoundland.

New Moon

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Grace may have had snow today. If the above is accurate.

Yes she had https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116248124&postcount=5356

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Might see snow here tomorrow night but I doubt it
    Other than that I'm done at this.

Bet you'll be back next week for the pending beast thread :cool:

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It delivers for the other 2 million though. I'd take another Spring like last year, We paid for it in the Summer of course... big time, but at least you continued to get sunshine in the east.

It was fine in the east despite wot he said. The sun is hot in late April and May and a nice cool breeze doesn’t matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Proper snow here, sorry for the bad pics but I'm not going out in it.
    Lights flickered a few times today which is strange as even in the worst atlantic storms they wouldn't flicker.
    Just east of Newport, Mayo. About 55m up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Really and gorse fire here the ground is that dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

Back to the FI charts we live in hope ❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

It has been a very disappointing cold spell. There is no other way of dressing it up. I am genuinely happy for those out west. The west is definitely awake tonight!

Having said all that there is still a better than average chance for something memorable to come from the east within the next month. There is alot of embedded cold in the continent just waiting to be tapped into and blocking highs seems to be the flavour of the month.
    Really speciality ingredients or building blocks or maybe synoptics whatever word or way you like to phrase it but they are all there. We have already had two or 3 bites of the cheery but each bite just wasnt ripe enough to get what we crave. The next bite will be the one and it gonna taste so so sweet.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

We've had about 26 flakes in Sligo since 730pm. I'd that what the radar sees. Oh wait radar now has none on us. Irish radars get confused by snow..."what is this stuff?"

Ah well. Itl prob not be proper mild till May so plenty of over hyped events to come. Yipee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Grass here is rock hard and crunchy as if there is a layer of snow underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

So we had no snow today in Waterford, we had wet snow mostly a sleety cold mess.. But that's the swings and roundabouts of the weather. I enjoy reading the threads and the opinions of the regular posters in here and have done for years. Delighted for everyone that wanted snow and got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Here in Galway city we had snow from 10am to 7pm you would think we should have had some accumulations and we did after a heavy spell then it would go light and thaw set in quickly only to ramp up again and this happened all day. Customers must have been wondering 'what is he looking at?' as they we talking to me and I was looking past their shoulders out the window not paying attention to them :D anyway went for a walk with the dog and got some pics of what was left :D you'd think we'd have more after 8hrs or so of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

So we easterners can't complain

Do you know what that is so true. We are blessed in the East and specifically the South East with great weather, the envy of most, most of the time. Most parts of the West got a good go today and Christ knows they deserve it with the weather those poor folks get most of the time.

So as someone said the West is awake - enjoy it and I hope yee all get a nice top up tomorrow! Kids are kids no matter where they are and the fact that some kids in the West get some joy out of this then this is nowhere near a 'bust' and has been a decent event thus far, regardless of our respective back gardens!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

It’s no Emma but it’s not bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

While we got some slushy shîte sleet today never will i again doubt the Atlantic’s power to stop any sort of significant snowfall for Cork.

The Atlantic is just too powerful a beast for easterly cold to cope with. No lying snow whatsoever in relatively high parts of North Cork even.

The Atlantic is a terrible beauty for snowlovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not one single solitary flake of snow in Cobh today. Not one. Didn't expect much, but thought we might get just a little.

13.2mm of rain so far, and plenty more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Can you elaborate more please 👀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gotta be happy with todays event. Snow on the ground makes the place so bright at night . Just outside Castlebar

Still coming down beautifully in Westport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Went for a drive. Lots of snowmen around. Some big ones. The roads aren't too bad in west Galway. No sign of a bad freeze.
    3 houses had their Xmas lights on outside!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

If snow falls and you make a Snowman are you still aloud to call it a SnowMAN or non gender fluid Snowperson.
    God I hate this PC WOKE times.
    Anyway enjoy if snow falls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Still coming down in Achill and our power has gone again...

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    Do you know what that is so true. We are blessed in the East and specifically the South East with great weather, the envy of most, most of the time. Most parts of the West got a good go today and Christ knows they deserve it with the weather those poor folks get most of the time.

So as someone said the West is awake - enjoy it and I hope yee all get a nice top up tomorrow! Kids are kids no matter where they are and the fact that some kids in the West get some joy out of this then this is nowhere near a 'bust' and has been a decent event thus far, regardless of our respective back gardens!

So true, it's the 2nd time and possibly the last time for a while that the kids here got to play football in the snow. I know my oldest lad is feeling the effects of school at home and is missing his friends, so this was a welcome distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Bigger tease than my wife pal :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement