Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    All depends where you live Gonzo. Easterlys are good for those exposed to them. They're crap where am I. But I appreciate they can deliver to other parts of the island and my back garden isn't the be all and end all. You said Northerlys are cold are dry, for your location. For here its the opposite, they bring snow. Easterlys are cold are dry here, while it will deliver for your location. We can't base the entire islands fortunes based off of our own local conditions.

Northerlys are best for here. But they don't deliver the goods to some. So they won't be keen on them. Northerlys are rare these days. Well proper ones.

There is definitely a snow snobbery about here though lol. If the snow doesn't come from East, or it isn't in their back garden. Then it doesn't count and its not "real" snow. Even if that snow remains for 4 or 5 days on the ground.

Just an observation which I find funny and very unique. No dramas haha.

Absolutely, everything Gonzo says is correct for East Munster and coastal counties of Leinster, however for the other half of the Island we will always get the better snow from the North/NW.
    While we did get daycent snow west of the Shannon in 2010, it was from the initial northerlies and (north-easterly?) rather than the East

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    All depends where you live Gonzo. Easterlys are good for those exposed to them. They're crap where am I. But I appreciate they can deliver to other parts of the island and my back garden isn't the be all and end all. You said Northerlys are cold are dry, for your location. For here its the opposite, they bring snow. Easterlys are cold are dry here, while it will deliver for your location. We can't base the entire islands fortunes based off of our own local conditions.

Northerlys are best for here. But they don't deliver the goods to some. So they won't be keen on them. Northerlys are rare these days. Well proper ones.

There is definitely a snow snobbery about here though lol. If the snow doesn't come from East, or it isn't in their back garden. Then it doesn't count and its not "real" snow. Even if that snow remains for 4 or 5 days on the ground.

Just an observation which I find funny and very unique. No dramas haha.

Nobody said anyone’s garden was the be end all. By making the point that nobody should refer to the weather in their specific location you are implying that there should be a hierarchy. That the weather in SE ROI is more important.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

It was quite heavy in Sixmile bridge today, the hills are still covered from east Clare to West Clare.

I heard Mt Callan was quite festive looking, not sure if there's going to be any snow on the hills tomorrow..

I'll fill ye in if there is

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Just out for a stroll near Tullamore. It’s being spitting snow/grapual/ ice pellets whatever since last Saturday night. Not once in the 5 days or so has it got heavy enough to cover the car even.
    Never seen anything like it.
    West Mayo and Galway must be heading for decent depths at this stage. It’s relentless coming in off Galway Bay heading north.
    Delighted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Can you elaborate more please ��

Looks like we are ready to hop on another rollercoaster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    If snow falls and you make a Snowman are you still aloud to call it a SnowMAN or non gender fluid Snowperson.
    God I hate this PC WOKE times.
    Anyway enjoy if snow falls.

Snowbeing, we don't want to offend the animal community. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Coming down now in South Sligo - sticking - seems so incredibly dry still

90m asl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    If snow falls and you make a Snowman are you still aloud to call it a SnowMAN or non gender fluid Snowperson.
    God I hate this PC WOKE times.
    Anyway enjoy if snow falls.

Difficult times alright when you're hard at work manufacturing non existent persecutions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Dry and bitterly cold still with that fresh SE wind.
    1.8C
    Dp -2.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

The image below was taken and sent to me about 30 mins ago on the N5 looking towards Westport town. The road had been clear due to gritting and traffic earlier today, when the snow was already accumulating elsewhere.
    Snowfall has since intensified again, but even though the temp. is still around -0.5ºC the snow is now of 'snowball quality' i.e. not powdery, but sticky without being too wet. Wind still E gusting around 25 knots, and humidity 98%.
    I would 'guesstimate' the average snow depth around here at 3 to 3.5 inches (7.5 to 9 cms).

543114.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Snowbeing, we don't want to offend the animal community. :pac:

There may also be an issue with the snowbeing's colour. Is it 'diverse' enough?

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well around here where we do snow in a big way, it was explained to me that if a dog pees on a snowbeing, it's then okay to call it a snowman.

What's the difference between a snowman and a snow woman.....snowballs. ☺️

Howling wind and rain here all day in Cork city, delighted for everyone that got snow and the photos are fab but I have to admit I'm bitterly disappointed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Nobody said anyone’s garden was the be end all. By making the point that nobody should refer to the weather in their specific location you are implying that there should be a hierarchy. That the weather in SE ROI is more important.

Jesus Christ. Sensitive Sally off running on another tangent.

I meant local conditions aren't always representative of what other parts of the island are experiencing so we can't always describe what we experienced in our locality weather wise as what everyone as a whole experienced or didn't experience. It was aimed at everyone , myself included.

I didn't say no one can report on local weather conditions. I don't know where you got that from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Seriously? The Atlantic has proved today its often only able for the weakened continental cold in the Western coastal counties
    Bring in more continental cold and it will do the same
    Said current cold's parent drivers are leaving tomorrow so a bit of snow in the east before its washed away
    I'm done with this train and that's not to disrespect the snow in the west brought about by the air from the east
    Its joy is only matched by its Brevity

You may have lost interest Anti- snow, but i have not ! Onward to the next chase:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

pauldry wrote: »
    We've had about 26 flakes in Sligo since 730pm. I'd that what the radar sees. Oh wait radar now has none on us. Irish radars get confused by snow..."what is this stuff?"

Ah well. Itl prob not be proper mild till May so plenty of over hyped events to come. Yipee

It's gas really, you pray that the predicted precipation sequence comes true and that it will fall as snow and not rain, we end up getting the precipation on the radar after all and nothing falls , i give up..

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Snowfalling at knock at present

0328 (6).jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

Some decent amounts of snow today in West Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Gonzo wrote: »
    Just because the recent easterly failed for us does not in any way mean easterlies are not good for cold and snow.

You just don't get how the modern world works, do you? This Easterly failed for many (though not all) therefore all Easterlies are ****e forever more. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Still bits of light snow. No doubt late tomorrow night we'll get two hours of heavy snow before it quickly turns to rain!

• Advertisement

Some decent amounts of snow today in West Tipperary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

You may have lost interest Anti- snow, but i have not ! Onward to the next chase:D

You are a glutton for punishment!

I'm with Aunty on this, this winter has tired me out. I want to grow things and watch them grow so I just can't wait for it to finish.

New Moon

One note photo from west Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Snow still falling at Crossmolina co Mayo. This is 9:20pm

Accumulations across parts of Mayo and Galway now up to around 10cm

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1359983530844057602?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

We are getting proper heavy snow now in Castlebar just when I thought it was beginning to taper off. Big flakes as opposed to the more sleety/snow mix we had since noon. Accumulating rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Looks like a lot of snow has fallen west of the Shannon. We've been pretty fortunate here in Dublin. A few flakes but that's about it. Bitterly cold all the same but dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Any Mayo posters around Ballinrobe? I get the feeling one of the lads is planning a snow day for himself tomorrow and I'll be landed with all his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/nine-o-clock-weather/SI0000003606?epguid=IH000394571

He mentions south west leinster again
    Thats Kilkenny
    We've had next to nothing :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

Only Mayo and Galway getting snow. Sligo Roscommon and Leitrim all fairly clear bar a few flakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Murrisk, Co. Mayo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement