Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

The last few I’ll post. Been snowing here since 12pm and still coming down here now. Best of luck to the rest of the country tomorrow and Saturday.
    Murrisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You just don't get how the modern world works, do you? This Easterly failed for many (though not all) therefore all Easterlies are ****e forever more. Simple as.

I agree with Gonzo in some respects, good easterlies generally lead to the greatest snowfall accumulations, but I would argue good easterlies are rare. Also while easterlies deliver to a greater percentage of the population, i would venture to say a potent Northerly, especially ones that have polar lows embedded, will deliver snowfall over a wider geographic area. Indeed a polar low can deliver heavy snow fall from Donegal right down to South Cork. Although such northerlies are unfortunately a thing of the past. I would dearly love the last week of Februray to deliver a Northerly of old! What snow dance must i do to make it happen?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

First pic is now and second pic is earlier, you can tell by the blue scooter the difference in depth.
    Continuous snow for several hours now, it's brilliant.

The actual pictures are attached a few posts down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

No snow fell at all for me in mohill, an orange warning should have been issued for Galway and mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of snow has fallen west of the Shannon. We've been pretty fortunate here in Dublin. A few flakes but that's about it. Bitterly cold all the same but dry

z8xGZE.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

corsav6 wrote: »
    First pic is now and second pic is earlier, you can tell by the blue scooter the difference in depth.
    Continuous snow for several hours now, it's brilliant.

Pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

After teasing us here for a good bit of the afternoon, the snow finally fell and settled in the last hour before dark here near Castlebar.
    The best of it fell not long after darkness set in and it is still spitting snow outside at the moment. We have had the odd sleety interlude during the course of the evening also.Just in from a walk outside and if you like snow, no matter what age you are, there is something special about that crunch underfoot of fresh snow!

543119.jpg

543120.jpg

543121.jpg

543123.jpg

543124.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I have every intention of cutting the lawn tomorrow, no dew good drying and no snow despite all the forecasters here this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Cork city seems to be kryptonite for snow
    What's the difference between a snowman and a snow woman.....snowballs. ☺️

Howling wind and rain here all day in Cork city, delighted for everyone that got snow and the photos are fab but I have to admit I'm bitterly disappointed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Congrats to all the boardies in the west who got the snow today.
    I hope its helped lift spirits in the young and old alike.

I was actually born in the snow storm of late 1981 early 1982 and I've great memories of snow from 1987 and many other years growing up here on the Beautiful Blackstairs mountains.

I'm here busy trying to work out what will go wrong tomorrow for us here in wexford.

After the forecasts being so wildly wrong today I put no faith at all in the snow warnings in place for here now and actually I'm genuinely confused as to why met Eireann are going with it.

At a guess Friday /Saturdays incoming front will be more potent than today's with higher precipitation etc but we'll still miss out on snow, more than likely the front will pivot above us from south wicklow northwards.

So I'm predicting a day of cold rain for us after 4 days of dry cold windy grey rubbish haha.
    Ps I hope AuntySnow gets some white gold tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Loving all the photos,7 or 8 hours of constant snow is very rare in places like Murrisk,Westport and Castlebar. remember to put out a bit of bread for the robin in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

moonshadow wrote: »
    I have every intention of cutting the lawn tomorrow, no dew good drying and no snow despite all the forecasters here this week.

:D Did that yesterday as penance for the last cut I didn't do in October. The ground was drier yesterday than last autumn and I flew over it in no time at all.
    To cut tomorrow I'd need a snowmobile and once it thaws a boat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I've posted this many times before and I will continue to, but Ireland after one of the last great northerlies we have seen. December 2000

AeZBF30.png

Over a foot of level snow here, well away from the coast nowhere near any mountain. I well appreciate that easterlies deliver similar amounts for some along the east coast or up a eastern hill on occasion, but I remain unconvinced that they deliver on the same geographic scale as the real thing from the north does.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's a pity some can't let go of their "in my backyard" outlook on things.

I saw a mix of most this week, small flakes, big flakes, dustings, hail, grauple, sleet...and i'm happy enough with it. Not everything I wanted but delighted some got a good amount of snow today.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Forgot to post these in here, we had heavy snow on Monday night and most of Tuesday with very cold temps last night/this morning

River Clyde, 10/02/21
    20210210-132536a.jpg

20210210-144816.jpg

11/02/21 at 08.24
    IMG-0520.jpg[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Seymour20 wrote: »
    The last few I’ll post. Been snowing here since 12pm and still coming down here now. Best of luck to the rest of the country tomorrow and Saturday.
    Murrisk

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Drum Maigh Eo

Blizzard like conditions 8km east of Castlebar, local road's blocked due to snow drifts.
    Current conditions;
    Temperature: -1 Deg C
    Dew pt: -2 Deg C
    Snow depth: 7.4mm
    Wind: E 27 km/h

There is a a few hours of snow yet to go in west Connaught. Orange warning territory there quite comfortably.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Seymour20 wrote: »
    The last few I’ll post. Been snowing here since 12pm and still coming down here now.
    Murrisk

Accidentally read this as Murmansk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Impressive drying of moisture in D3 over the past few days.
    We got some snizzel in the air, forecasts were mostly spot on.

Glad to see some folks got snow. I hold out for one last cold push at the end of this month into early March. One things for sure FI will tease us at least one more time this winter/early spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm met reports

Belmullet : moderate Snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

There is a good few hours of snow yet to go in west Connaught. Orange warning territory there quite comfortably.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif
    I honestly doubt that the rain out at sea (if that is what it is) changes to snow immediately on hitting the Connemara coast as per that radar. Makes no sense to be honest.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Still coming down here in west Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still coming down heavy in Castlebar, the dinner plate flakes have returned as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Been following this thread on and off the past few days. It snow now off the table for dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

10pm met reports

Belmullet : moderate Snow.

PsMETAR BELM 112200Z AUTO 13013G28KT 1600NDV SN OVC005/// 00/M00 1015 MSL=

Not often that happens, I reckon.

Building toward parts of Sligo/West Donegal for the crew here...let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

evosteo wrote: »
    Been following this thread on and off the past few days. It snow now off the table for dublin?

You haven’t been doing a good job at following so.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I honestly doubt that the rain out at sea (if that is what it is) changes to snow immediately on hitting the Connemara coast as per that radar. Makes no sense to be honest.

From what I have seen today and read on various local whatsapp groups, there is very little snow right at the coast but 1 or 2 kms inland there is plenty, so sleet/rain directly on the coast turning to snow very quickly inland.

• Advertisement

evosteo wrote: »

Probably for overnight tonight. Might get some Saturday morning but short lived.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement