Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Snowing again 5 kms NW of Galway city, probably close to 10 cms here but it is 150m asl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Snowing lightly here in mohill I'm so happy, now I'm going for my shower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Great pics....Superb snow levels. This snow event cannot be considered a dud when Westport gets 6-8 inches of snow in one day. That’s pretty incredible, delighted for the folk in the west today coming from one of 1.5 million waiting for the snow in the capital :-)
    yorlum11 wrote: »
    I can't remember snow like this for many a year. Westport. 6/8 inches. More where it drifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Just back from my third hour long walk today

Castlebar town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Castlebar to Westport road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

konman wrote: »
    Light to moderate snow here again.
    5k south of Tuam.

Same here now too. 5km north of where you are. Temp has steadied for now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭audman13

Light snow in Tuam

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Snowing lightly here in mohill I'm so happy, now I'm going for my shower

You were waiting for snow all day and when it arrives you decide to take a shower??

Oh.. wait...:o

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

I can't remember snow like this for many a year. Westport. 6/8 inches. More where it drifted.

Delighted for you over in the west, Ye miss out so often. I am of course livid you stole the snow mind you. D16

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Forecast for Dublin from the latest model. Saturday probably best chance of seeing something of worth:

KqhaPB5.png

Given how bad some of the models performed this week (from a Wicklow perspective), I think I will revert to the trusty old lamp post watching and ignore what they are suggesting for Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Same here now too. 5km north of where you are. Temp has steadied for now.

Out Corofin direction.

konman wrote: »
    Out Corofin direction.

I guessed. Corofin blood runs through my veins.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Unreal!

MetE radar shows so much more to come too if it keeps falling as snow for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's turning back to rain/sleet over a good part of Galway now based on the netweather radar. Athenry now reporting rain by met eireann. Should stay as snow over Mayo tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Still snowing outside Newport, about 7 miles west of Castlebar so similar levels. Time for bed as the kids will be up at first light.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    It's turning back to rain/sleet over a good part of Galway now based on the netweather radar. Athenry now reporting rain by met eireann. Should stay as snow over Mayo tho.

I think you're in with a chance of a few flakes (and Kildare shortly).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

More snow claregalway. I'm wore out lol.
    As I said earlier so serene so beautiful.
    Normally you love snow to revert to childhood get off work etc.
    Watching my 1 year old girl karate chopping our mini snowman as he had the audacity to take her dodi was epic.
    Still now, gently snowing, we all know in de west how little we get.
    A great day. The little things can become big things, but at the end of the day big things are nothing really with what is going on.
    So white so innocent. Powerful in its simplicity. My uncle died of covid a few weeks ago. I miss him a lot. He was a big lamppost watcher in London.
    Mb today has got me these happy memories..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

All snow here, about 25k north of Galway city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The guidance problems today should not necessarily continue into a second push because that next time, lower levels will saturate more easily and it will be game on. It was all that dry air from Wales that caused today's problems, air mass too stable to create streamers from cold advection so the dry southeast flow just made it too difficult for any snow to reach the ground (and I'm not saying there was much up there to give it a try). Things are gradually improving towards the end of this window, but r.h. values in Wales are still down in the 60s and low 70s so it seems like too much to overcome, once the r.h. exceeds 80% it seems like some light snow will reach the ground (which is playing out over parts of the midlands but it seems like this phase is winding down slowly now).

In the back of my mind is the question, wonder if this is just the first sign of a trend that will emerge on the 00z models for greater than expected resistance of the cold air? It played out almost as though we were in a longer term cold spell and this was a minor incursion rather than part one of a two-part major incursion of mild air. Will be watching those 00z model runs with interest tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think you're in with a chance of a few flakes (and Kildare shortly).

not expecting much here Kermit, will be lucky to see a few flakes. Getting really fed up with that wind tho the windchill is absolutely brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Hmmm a lot more flakes here now

At this stage i'm having doubts about the mild getting right across the country as early as Saturday afternoon. I think this cold is putting up more of a fight than what the models are suggesting and we may get an extra day out of it. Would love to think that the snow will deliver Saturday morning and stays here for at least one day to enjoy after the frontal system passes through. Can't see it lasting into Monday unless we have a major and swift change in the models by this time tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

The first photo was just all white when i opened it, not sure if its blank or your phone fell in the snow.

Edit: all showing now, great photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Hmmm a lot more flakes here now

Yeah current development extends to Kildare in the last half hour. Still light though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Weathercheck giving the forecast on Radio 1 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looking forward to tomorrow night , just hope that I don't end up with a watery mix seeing as Im not too far from the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Still snowing here in mohill, what radar was that Kermit I can never think of it

County Cavan could be in the firing line real soon, a finger of heavy snow has just blossomed out of nowhere over Longford and it heading to Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Still snowing just outside the city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement