Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 2L of Urine

All the infinite pressure influencing variables aside when you consider the gargantuan geographical spread of the HP cell and a frontal boundary that could be plotted roughly in a line north to south, of the two islands in this part of the world I’m glad the European one sort of hit the sweet spot. Although I could crap myself with the hate for all of those who did get snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Time to let them know I won't be at work tomorrow. I had to walk 1/4 mile up our bohereen. Westport. Still snowing. 12 hours at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can't see it myself. If anything i think the second push of milder air will turn things the wrong side of marginal quicker than forecast. We are already seeing snow turn back to rain and sleet in parts of Connacht. The cold will hang on longer in the east and north east but even there it will be gone by late Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Time to let them know I won't be at work tomorrow. I had to walk 1/4 mile up our bohereen. Westport. Still snowing. 12 hours at this stage.

A real event for you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snowing in Strandhill this past hour via webcam. Bone dry in Sligo

I give up.

See ye for tomorrow nights frustration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Gonzo wrote: »
    County Cavan could be in the firing line real soon, a finger of heavy snow has just blossomed out of nowhere over Longford and it heading to Cavan.

Hopefully clips me in mohill

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Hopefully clips me in mohill

unless the netweather radar is lying, you should be in the middle of it right now and looks fairly heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

County Cavan could be in the firing line real soon, a finger of heavy snow has just blossomed out of nowhere over Longford and it heading to Cavan.

Looks like its head up just west of here, I'll leave the yard light on just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

How come from an easterly we here in the south east got absolutely nothing. I just don't get that.

12 hours of snow on the west coast is very impressive. It will likely be a long time before that happens again!

• Advertisement

A real event for you guys.

Absolutely Kermit. I am really surprised at the potency of the snow here late afternoon and evening.

unless the netweather radar is lying, you should be in the middle of it right now and looks fairly heavy.

Light snow/ice pellets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temp back down again here now to 0.5c. Milder air is really struggling to get in it seems. Snow is light to at times moderate.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

12 hours of snow on the west coast is very impressive. It will likely be a long time before that happens again!

This is their 1982. Very jealous looking on but very happy for them too. Great to see that there has finally been some good with this cold spell before it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

If all tonight's hi-res models verify for tomorrow night Mayo will be buried for days :eek:

I'm 46. I have never experienced this amount in one day. A sweet spot no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Love all the snow pics , enjoy folks !
    Only a few flurries here today , lovely to see it but it didn't stick Laois .
    I live in hope :)

I honestly think the west should have been in an orange warning but then met eireann would probably have to name it as a storm etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's turning back to rain/sleet over a good part of Galway now based on the netweather radar. Athenry now reporting rain by met eireann. Should stay as snow over Mayo tho.

Athenry is not a manned station so I'd take anything it reports (outside temp and humidity) with a pinch of salt. No sign of it turning to rain here yet to the north of it.

New Moon

I wonder if I'll get that next band coming up from westmeath etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I did earlier in the week post charts from 10 and 11 Jan 2010 when a low coming up from the south into a block just stalled over Cork and gave us 12 hours of very light snow (but after 12 hours there were 10cm in places) before retreating. Then too it was expected to be an event with a sweet spot elsewhere (in the midlands I think but Dublin etc expected to get snow). For Cork it was supposed to bring in rain and mild temps but instead we got an extension of our cold spell by two days. Different set up but certain similarities with today's unexpected turn of events (though main difference down here is we got 12 hours of sleet basically today!).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

It is very impressive, what a shame those of us in inland Connacht missed on the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

(though main difference down here is we got 12 hours of sleet basically today!).

Isn't that considered EPIC for the capital there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This is their 1982. Very jealous looking on but very happy for them too. Great to see that there has finally been some good with this cold spell before it's over.

We have actually had better falls than this, especially around Christmas 2000 and in 2003 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Xenji wrote: »
    We have actually had better falls than this, especially around Christmas 2002 and in 2004 as well.

March 2018 and December 2000 were better too.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Temp back down again here now to 0.5c. Milder air is really struggling to get in it seems. Snow is light to at times moderate.
    A bit of an uneven sprinkling from pellets over the last hour . The wind has reduced a good bit over the last couple of hours.

konman wrote: »
    If all tonight's hi-res models verify for tomorrow night Mayo will be buried for days :eek:

Harmonie showing a good bit more snow for them over the next day or so. At least 10cm, but they probably already have that much in places already.

harmonieeur40-26-48-0.png?11-23

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

sean555 wrote: »
    March 2018 and December 2000 were better too.

I meant 2000, the 2003 fall was in February or March I remember getting a few days off school with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Had a few flakes blowing about on the drive home. More still falling now, nothing much though.
    Temp down 1.3C dp -2.2C and icy in that breeze

Tomorrow night looks better for east and north at this stage, just awaiting 18z to roll out and compare
    Video on it here if anyone interested :)

https://youtu.be/zCANHbebl6g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement