Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

12 hours of snow on the west coast is very impressive. It will likely be a long time before that happens again!

Happy for them, as I'm sure it's quite a rare phenomenon around those parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

vid36 wrote: »
    It is very impressive, what a shame those of us in inland Connacht missed on the fun.

Yes it is. Its my fault as i told people it would snow today. Yansno did say the front would decay, but i thought that would happen a bit further east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Update 12 February 2021 00:06

Tonight
    Falls of sleet and snow continuing in Connacht tonight with further accumulations and hazardous conditions. Drifting snow and blizzard-like conditions in places there. Scattered falls of snow across parts of Ulster, Leinster and north Munster with some slight accumulations possible by dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Gonzo wrote: »
    This is their 1982. Very jealous looking on but very happy for them too. Great to see that there has finally been some good with this cold spell before it's over.

So happy to see the West get something. It more than makes up for the disappointment all of us adult children in the East experienced. A terrific event and a really memorable event. There will be adults in 20 years time (hopefully on Boards :) ) talking about the great snow in the Wescht in Corona 21. Memories! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A bit of an uneven sprinkling from pellets over the last hour . The wind has reduced a good bit over the last couple of hours.

This whole frontal feature is so uneven to be honest. Pretty amazing to see the western part of these two counties getting pounded while we, who are normally more prone to snow, are seeing relatively little.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Isn't that considered EPIC for the capital there :D

Don't you start too....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Started snowing in tullamore.
    Very light and wind has picked up.
    Flakes look small possibly a bit of sleet also.
    Temp is reading 0.5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This whole frontal feature is so uneven to be honest. Pretty amazing to see the western part of these two counties getting pounded while we, who are normally more prone to snow, are seeing relatively little.

It's a mad one. Goes to show you never can tell. What odds would anyone have given me last night on Westport having loads of snow and Kilkenny or Carlow getting v little if any? Should give us all hope for any future events. Write nowhere off....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Happy for them, as I'm sure it's quite a rare phenomenon around those parts

Not necessarily, I can remember 5 similar events going back to the mid 90s around west Mayo, but this would probably be the third best.

We usually get some form of snow two or three times a year, of course not usually on par with what we got today and it rarely lasts long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Xenji wrote: »
    We have actually had better falls than this, especially around Christmas 2000 and in 2003 as well.

And 2009/2010 - I'm northwest we get something almost every winter but I was a young one in 82 in Dublin that was a nice event and came so quickly.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

giphy.gif
    Its great to see more snow showing on a chart for Ireland than Scotland for a change!

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

giphy.gif

:eek::pac::pac: best no text post ever :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The guidance problems today should not necessarily continue into a second push because that next time, lower levels will saturate more easily and it will be game on. It was all that dry air from Wales that caused today's problems, air mass too stable to create streamers from cold advection so the dry southeast flow just made it too difficult for any snow to reach the ground (and I'm not saying there was much up there to give it a try). Things are gradually improving towards the end of this window, but r.h. values in Wales are still down in the 60s and low 70s so it seems like too much to overcome, once the r.h. exceeds 80% it seems like some light snow will reach the ground (which is playing out over parts of the midlands but it seems like this phase is winding down slowly now).

In the back of my mind is the question, wonder if this is just the first sign of a trend that will emerge on the 00z models for greater than expected resistance of the cold air? It played out almost as though we were in a longer term cold spell and this was a minor incursion rather than part one of a two-part major incursion of mild air. Will be watching those 00z model runs with interest tonight.

I had a hunch a couple of days ago that this might happen. I've seen many times before that the cold has pushed back with one final shove. Saturday could be interesting if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

giphy.gif

I'm in the firing line all going well

I had a hunch a couple of days ago that this might happen. I've seen many times before that the cold has pushed back with one final shove. Saturday could be interesting if that's the case.

To be fair to you, sir (I assume sir?), your posts have had a tendency to cut through the general chat here with a noticeable level of independent and uninfluenced precision. And even when they were no more distinguishable from anyone elses they seemed to be about 1hr at least ahead of the general consensus.

It's a mad one. Goes to show you never can tell. What odds would anyone have given me last night on Westport having loads of snow and Kilkenny or Carlow getting v little if any? Should give us all hope for any future events. Write nowhere off....

The little quirks of the Irish weather. We are never going to understand them fully, are we?

New Moon

I had a hunch a couple of days ago that this might happen..

3 days ago if I remember correctly.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I notice somewhere got thundersnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Anyone able to verify what a falling in Athlone? Custume METAR says light rain but I doubt that.

SPECI EIAC 120033Z AUTO 13015G26KT 100V160 9999 -RA FEW035/// OVC058/// 02/M03 Q1019=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

These last few posts make for pleasant pillow reading pleasure as always learning from you lot

I think I learned allot more this time. Was up early to watch it develop. The now cast element was fascinating. Disappointing but fascinating. The almost trough and then mountain heights in comparison of North Cork into East Tipperary really stalls allot of moisture too I bet. Being in kilkenny I am grateful of this duringr the odd warm summer.
    I remember reading a post from Robert kk about our own micro climate here.

Any way stops the mind rotting during corona getting to learn here.
    Thanks again

Also I am delighted the whest got snow. Loved the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Anyone able to verify what a falling in Athlone? Custume METAR says light rain but I doubt that.

SPECI EIAC 120033Z AUTO 13015G26KT 100V160 9999 -RA FEW035/// OVC058/// 02/M03 Q1019=

Snizzle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Snizzle

Fo' sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Xenji wrote: »

Joe Biden will be pleased. The white county. Wahoo! Get up ya boya!
    In fairness, it's slightly bonkers. No snow in Offaly, not a scrap on the Slieve Blooms and Castlebar looking like Durham.
    Delighted for all, big kids and little ones.

It's a miracle! Knock (Knock).... who's there? 1982 and it's gone Wesht!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

More snow claregalway. I'm wore out lol.
    As I said earlier so serene so beautiful.
    Normally you love snow to revert to childhood get off work etc.
    Watching my 1 year old girl karate chopping our mini snowman as he had the audacity to take her dodi was epic.
    Still now, gently snowing, we all know in de west how little we get.
    A great day. The little things can become big things, but at the end of the day big things are nothing really with what is going on.
    So white so innocent. Powerful in its simplicity. My uncle died of covid a few weeks ago. I miss him a lot. He was a big lamppost watcher in London.
    Mb today has got me these happy memories..

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    3 days ago if I remember correctly.
    The angle of attack is big factor. Look at what directions tomorrows front is coming from. I will be stunned if the milder air has not won out by Saturday evening. I would love if the places that missed out today got a good dumping tomorrow night then the snow managed to stay till Sunday, but i can't see the models changing overnight to show this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Night all just wanted to update. All parents know de baby cretin will jump on my head from 5am 2mw lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

The angle of attack is big factor. Look at what directions tomorrows front is coming from. I will be stunned if the milder air has not won out by Saturday evening. I would love if the places that missed out today got a good dumping tomorrow night then the snow managed to stay till Sunday, but i can't see the models changing overnight to show this happening.

And why do the models need to change? :D
    Models not much use in West Galway or Mayo yesterday!

Edit: You're probably right though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

So his its looking for tomorrow night into saturday for the northern half

• Advertisement

Final report before I awake. Still snowing lightly to moderately and temp at 6 meters is on 0.4c and steady while at 1 foot height it is 0.1c and falling a little.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement