Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

anim_ndp0.gif

Looks like a snow shadow over south Meath/north Kildare Saturday morning.

iconeu_uk1-1-33-0.png?12-04

iconeu_uk1-46-36-0.png?12-04

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

Looks like **** all adios amigo for this winter

Meanwhile, south Wicklow getting snow atm.

Nope,not one flake here!
    Doubtless twill rain here this evening too
    Parameters have already hugely dis improved down this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Despite what the radar was showing, absolutely nothing fell overnight (Celbridge). I see Mullingar had a few light snow reports but nothing here. With a 6-degree dewpoint spread it was just too dry to snow at ground level.

The 12Z Met Éireann aviation chart shows that occlusion stationary along the far west/southwest and the second system further out behind it heading northeastwards at 25 knots. We'll see how much eastwards progress they make later. Dublin TAF has light snow between 1-3 am overnight and a very slight chance thereafter. I'll believe that when I see it.

TAF EIDW 120500Z 1206/1306 13017G27KT 9999 SCT018 BKN030
    PROB30 TEMPO 1206/1208 4000 -SN BKN010
    BECMG 1210/1212 14020G32KT
    TEMPO 1218/1306 13022G37KT
    BECMG 1301/1303 4000 -SN BKN012
    PROB30 TEMPO 1302/1306 1800 SN BKN005=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭vickers209

Not a sign of a single flake around wicklow town
    Really thought id be waking up to a covering this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Grogu1983

It was snowing in Tinahely about 4am so disappointed to wake up to nothing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Nice surprise To wake up to a snow free garden here in the north east

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

Not a flake in Rathdrum either

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UpTheHillFrom

North Wexford 60m asl, nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Croohur1

Nothing in Aughrim, South Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Decent covering in castlebar . Maybe 2 cm . Snowed most of yesterday but between 4 pm and 8 pm it covered the ground . Travelling will be difficult today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    SW Donegal appears to be under moderate to heavy snow. Could be some surprised people there in the morning as no warning for Donegal tonight.

Zilch here , nada, the radar was drunk last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Still a bit falling here outside Newport, Mayo. I'll try get some pictures before the kids destroy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Bone dry but cold and windy in Swords. Nice morning for walking the dog all the same. Enjoyed the walk although it would have been better with some snow

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Id be expecting a good inch of snow saturday morning. The dry air will be eaten up for breakfast. Wont last long though.

The only positive thing this week has brought to the east is the drying. The soils needed it. Even out in the wild snowy west the liquid equivalent totals from the snow and later rain yesterday and overnight were just a few mm. Only the far south and southwest registered any sizeable totals.

bazlers wrote: »
    Id be expecting a good inch of snow saturday morning. The dry air will be eaten up for breakfast. Wont last long though.

A tenner says no.

A tenner says no.

Thats a bit steep. I dont get paid til the end of the month!
    A virtual tenner and il buy u a pint so day long into the future : (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Woke up to nothing here not a flake all very disappointing but ah well least the model chase the last week was a distraction from “the other thing”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

A nice dusting here. It was small dry flakes for hours only about 1cm lying. Looks good.

South Sligo
    90m asl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Niall145

Gotta say that map Kermit posted above looks good for here in coastal Dublin tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

MT Forecasting a repeat of Yesterday for the East pretty much.

ie. Despite the melt starting in Connacht thats also where the highest Snow totals will be and by the time the front hits the East it'll have dried out most of the precipitation and we'll probably get a lot of 'Virgo' Snow that evaporates before it hits the ground. 5-12cm for Connacht and Ulster, 1-5cm in the East.

We all know how this is going to end. SFA for Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford. I'll be blown away if I wake up to more than a dusting in Bray on Saturday morning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Calibos wrote: »

And GL too. Too dry for snow. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

ie. Despite the melt starting in Connacht thats also where the highest Snow totals will be and by the time the front hits the East it'll have dried out most of the precipitation and we'll probably get a lot of 'Virgo' Snow that evaporates before it hits the ground. 5-12cm for Connacht and Ulster, 1-5cm in the East.

We all know how this is going to end. SFA for Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford. I'll be blown away if I wake up to more than a dusting in Bray on Saturday morning.

Yeah not expecting anything this side of the Wicklow Mountains either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

I have to say that the fantastic drying this week has been a massive positive thing and totally agree with GL. I still have lying snow outside, in North Kildare. My front lawn has a full blanket of snow as it is sheltered. Looking out my first floor home office, the modest hill a few hundred metres to my south is still fully covered in snow, thanks to it being north facing.

It's all still quite pretty in places but the fantastic drying has been a major thing for me. For the first time in months, not only has the dog not had to be dried down with a towel but she's been bone dry all week. A week or so ago, she was black with mud and dirt and that was from just walking on the roads. She got a bath last weekend and it will probably be another week before getting another......I reckon she'll be smelling a bit by then with all the rain on the way.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only dog owner here who has really appreciated the dryness this week.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    And GL too. Too dry for snow. :pac:

I dont think the track across land from the west compared to south west will be as long and the snow fields out west will be another helping hand. Small percentages but they might add up. The front looks a tad stronger too.
    unfortunately we could also just end up as dry as Gandhis sandal.

Either way we wont need a shovel. Might come in handy if you knew a kind person who would be willing to hit us over the head with and put us out of our misery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That's nonsense. There will be a bit of a rain shadow over north kildare, south meath.

Other than that there will be a snow event for most but the results won't last long, that's the only thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Interesting fact - the Antarctic is deemed the world largest desert because it’s too dry to snow (very cold & windy), interior only gets a couple inches precipitation a year. Same thing seems to be happening here at moment obviously with less extreme temperatures which although very disappointing for snow in Dublin at least it’s interesting weather.

Still a rim of snow on trampoline here which is mad considering it fell on Monday and we barely had a dusting, as far as I can the temp hasn’t budged up or down from 2c/3c all week

Im not talking IMBY. I got plenty of light flurries too but they didn't amount to much. A temporary report of 1 cm at Dublin Airport was all we managed.

I acknowledged and congratulated the other parts of the country that did well, especially yesterday. I begrudge nobody what they got (despite a tongue-in-cheek gif I posted last night, meant as a friendly nod). They did very well.

I think maybe some are suffering a little bit from withdrawal symptoms, but the way I look at it is; I got very little snow but I got very little COVID too. The weather is just a hobby, not life or death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

The guidance problems today should not necessarily continue into a second push because that next time, lower levels will saturate more easily and it will be game on. It was all that dry air from Wales that caused today's problems, air mass too stable to create streamers from cold advection so the dry southeast flow just made it too difficult for any snow to reach the ground (and I'm not saying there was much up there to give it a try). Things are gradually improving towards the end of this window, but r.h. values in Wales are still down in the 60s and low 70s so it seems like too much to overcome, once the r.h. exceeds 80% it seems like some light snow will reach the ground (which is playing out over parts of the midlands but it seems like this phase is winding down slowly now).

In the back of my mind is the question, wonder if this is just the first sign of a trend that will emerge on the 00z models for greater than expected resistance of the cold air? It played out almost as though we were in a longer term cold spell and this was a minor incursion rather than part one of a two-part major incursion of mild air. Will be watching those 00z model runs with interest tonight.

Sadly not all over by Sunday for the far North East maybe signs later in the week of things settling down again would love a proper 80s style Northerly greenland high for a few days then roll on spring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement