Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

A tenner says no.

Zombo-Meme-12022021084646.jpg
    free image hosting sites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

DOCARCH wrote: »
    And GL too. Too dry for snow. :pac:

East wind = dry here always.
    And I'm only an hour west of Dublin.
    Depending on sea streamers for snow from an easterly s a poor proposition.

That's why for more than half the island northerlies deliver more snow. Continental dry air is not a problem.
    However a bunch of posts were deleted from the other thread yesterday for simply pointing this out :rolleyes:

Too dry for snow is the new too cold for snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just back from a walk with the dog in Dublin 8.still cold but not as bad as the last few days. We have been blessed here in missing out on the snow. In fact it's great to see that the area is drying out as the local park was fairly saturated this last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Im not talking IMBY. I got plenty of light flurries too but they didn't amount to much. A temporary report of 1 cm at Dublin Airport was all we managed.

I acknowledged and congratulated the other parts of the country that did well, especially yesterday. I begrudge nobody what they got (despite a tongue-in-cheek gif I posted last night, meant as a friendly nod). They did very well.

I think maybe some are suffering a little bit from withdrawal symptoms, but the way I look at it is; I got very little snow but I got very little COVID too. The weather is just a hobby, not life or death

You're assuming everyone got "light flurries".

You are trying to minimise other's experience because you got nothing yourself.

And the same goes for others.

If I acted like that every thread would be me, me, me and it wouldn't work. I'm genuinely interested in what others get and want to see their joy and the impacts.

For some here if it is not happening for them it's not happening at all.

That's not the right way to think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

You're assuming everyone got "light flurries".

You are trying to minimise other's experience because you got nothing yourself.

And the same goes for others.

If I acted like that every thread would be me, me, me and it wouldn't work. I'm genuinely interested in what others get and want to see their joy and the impacts.

For some here if it is not happening for them it's not happening at all.

That's not the right way to think about it.

I'm interested too. Again, I know there was more snow north of me during the week, but it didn't turn into a properly easterly show like 2018 or 2010. Very light overall, but plenty of people we happy with that while it lasted. Great.

I really don't know why you think that and also why your other post was removed. I've analysed every corner of the country that I could, as have you and others, so why would I do that if I didn't care? I'm confused...:confused: How does what I say minimise what others have already felt???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Partial thaw in west Galway overnight but still plenty of lying snow.
    Snowmen need running repairs.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Stop the bickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

One last hurrah tonight/tomorrow from this episode. I'll enjoy it before it turns in to a slush bath. Doubt it will be the last hurrah of the season up here but probably better for everyone's health if it is lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Too dry for snow is the new too cold for snow.

wouldn't it be nice if it was too dry to rain for once? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Neddyusa wrote: »
    East wind = dry here always.
    And I'm only an hour west of Dublin.
    Depending on sea streamers for snow from an easterly s a poor proposition.

That's why for more than half the island northerlies deliver more snow. Continental dry air is not a problem.
    However a bunch of posts were deleted from the other thread yesterday for simply pointing this out :rolleyes:

I dont buy it. It’s apparently too dry for snow from an easterly for the damp second island in the Atlantic off Europe, but not for the larger island beside it, or the continent itself.

In one day we went from wet waterlogged soil to being a desert indistinguishable from Antarctica. I’m sure something happened this time but I doubt it’s universal to easterlies.

We need to put this northerly being better idea to rest. Even it were true that northerlies were great for everybody living on a line drawn west from the Dublin Louth border south of Drogheda it would be feck all use to where most of us in the Republic live. Dublin, Galway, Cork, Waterford and limerick are south of that line.

I doubt that northerlies are all that good for Dundalk or Drogheda either, so it’s an even smaller proportion of the population of the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Pangea wrote: »
    Zilch here , nada, the radar was drunk last night.

chilly that was about it though warmer than the last couple of days at+1 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A big thaw already in east Galway.got a good drop of snow yesterday a lot of it gone already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

The morning after the night before. Westport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So no dramatic u turn from the models overnight. I would love a repeat of that event in January 2010( an all snow event,despite the forecast of a quick snow to rain event) which left the pros a bit confounded. We would have a chance if it was coming up from the South West rather than the west.

I wonder how this will affect model watching in Ireland in the future. I’m no expert but I get the impression that the charts we actually experienced in the last few days would have looked good in FI, had they appeared in the past (or were to appear in the future). 3 days of easterlies, cold uppers, and a frontal assault that brings in cold easterly air and dies out over the country. I bet people would have talked about being buried.

Is there any way to tell the specific factors that went wrong from ten days out? If not then I think we are going to look at all charts with scepticism in the future, not just that the charts might not verify but that even if they do the actual details won’t work for Ireland.

“Looks good but remember 2021”, will be the mantra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Whilst we had a sleet / wet snow/rain mix for about 12 hours yesterday, its most assuredly very cold rain now (still some ice mixed in), and lots of it. We have had about 24 hours of precipitation diwn here and it looks like there are days more to come. We had a very dry week here (lots of tiny snow flurries but in a v drying east wind) but that's just a memory now. A truly awful day out there now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I dont buy it. It’s apparently too dry for snow from an easterly for the damp second island in the Atlantic off Europe, but not for the larger island beside it, or the continent itself.

In one day we went from wet waterlogged soil to being a desert indistinguishable from Antarctica. I’m sure something happened this time but I doubt it’s universal to easterlies.

We need to put this northerly being better idea to rest. Even it were true that northerlies were great for everybody living on a line drawn west from the Dublin Louth border it would be feck all use to where most of us in the Republic live. Dublin, Galway, Cork, Waterford and limerick are south of that line.

I doubt that northerlies are all that good for Dundalk or Drogheda either, so it’s an even smaller proportion of the population of the Republic.

where is the Dublin/Louth border?

Literally a hole in south Meath/north Kildare that may see no precipitation overnight and in the morning due to a rain shadow courtesy of southeasterly winds. Wicklow eating their buffet.

iconeu_uk1-1-28-0.png?12-10

This is the way it is being modelled pretty much across the board but will be a nowcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yorlum11 wrote: »
    The morning after the night before

Very nice! You will remember the 11th of February 2021 for a long time to come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

That shadow over Meath seems to get to Sligo too. Weve had only grains of snow since last week. Rain gauge 0.1mm in a week

Fields gone yella with all the wind. I think tonight me might get a light dusting but as it passes our snow shield it will get heavier in Ulster. I think theres just too many mountains around Sligo town that "nick" the snow. The Northerlies even have Ben Bulben block it and Southeasterlies the hills of Ballygawley and Ballisodare.

The much maligned Northwesterly serves best for us if its cold enough.

Castlebar and Westport always do well in SE winds.
    I lived there in 2000 and we got tons from a SE then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had hoped it'd be a pre-work walk in the snow, but obviously just a walk! However, great drying - trails that were slop at the weekend dried out totally, even in sheltered bits.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the rollercoaster - whatever tonight brings, or doesn't, I love this virtual chasing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I hate to be pedantic but that's not an accurate way to measure snow depth as the grass blades will inflate the total.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Literally a hole in south Meath/north Kildare that may see no precipitation overnight and in the morning due to a rain shadow courtesy of southeasterly winds. Wicklow eating their buffet.

iconeu_uk1-1-28-0.png?12-10

This is the way it is being modelled pretty much across the board but will be a nowcast.

The snow turns to rain on nearly every model in a line directly north of wexford town to the west. tbh I'd be expecting it after this winter :rolleyes:

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I hate to be pedantic but that's not an accurate way to measure snow depth as the grass blades will inflate the total.

By a few nanometers?

Let them have their moment. It's a decent fall regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tyrone212 wrote: »

It is on a patio table so you couldn't do it any better than that!

Dickie10 wrote: »
    where is the Dublin/Louth border?

I was going to put Dublin Meath bit that’s ambiguous. I think the line I mean it obvious. But I’ll correct to stop the pedantry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Villain wrote: »
    It is on a patio table so you couldn't do it any better than that!
    What patio table? I mean it's clearly a lawn :)

• Advertisement

The snow turns to rain on nearly every model in a line directly north of wexford town to the west. tbh I'd be expecting it after this winter :rolleyes:

Is that true? So icon is an outlier? Bad news. Was hoping to get up early and go for a snow walk.

Weather permitting of course. I’m not crazy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement