Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

"worst cold spell ever"

Well here in Wexford anyway, had to peel 2 little ones off the window this morning practically praying for snow and try to convince them the game is up, genuinely just heard them contemplating doing a "snow dance" :D

Thanks to everyone for their efforts in forecasting and predicting what was coming, if anything this week showed how bloody hard it is.

The thing about this cold spell is i dont think ive ever seen a cold spell and snow possibility that was so wanted and desired.

The amount of people ive spoken to who would normally be nonplussed or even be dreading a bit of snow who were hoping for a bit of snow as a distraction and a bit of enjoyment for the kids was unreal.

I just think with everything else being wall to wall misery at the moment and by the looks of things no end in sight people really wanted a bit of distraction, a couple of days where the kids are out enjoying themselves again and everyone could just forget about all the other crap (although we would probably have ended up with NPHET and the morons running us asking everyone to sanitize their snowballs before throwing and providing the Guards with snowmobiles to enable them to knock down any snowmen not 2m apart :rolleyes:)

Anyway to those who got a good blast enjoy it and i hope it does provide that distraction if even for a little while for everyone and those who tried gamely to give us their predictions whilst studying models that were struggling themselves, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It will be snow over mid, north Leinster (south Wicklow north), Ulster and north Connaught.

Outside of that not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

By a few nanometers?

Let them have their moment. It's a decent fall regardless.

It is a decent fall. I never said it wasn't. I'm not taking away from anyones moment.
    I used to measure snow depth in the same manner until I found out what I was doing was wrong.

Article below for anyone who isn't highly strung this morning.

https://www.weather.gov/jkl/snow_measurement

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭molly dolly

My children have no faith in me this morning. First I said back to school in March and then I said snow this week. I seemingly was wrong on both accounts.

1982 was epic for us. Huge drifts. No school for 3 weeks. helicopters had to do food drops. My poor dad drove a digger in a quarry and someone came and dug him out so he could get to work on clearing roads. he was working 14/15 hour days for weeks that time. Though has some funny stories one of grateful farmers/resident bringing him out a hot whiskey to keep him warm while he worked.

2010 snow was very difficult for us and did rub some of the wonder from me. We were having a hard pregnancy. Living in rural upland setting. Wasn't easy back and forth to hospital getting sicker while it seemed to get colder and darker. TG himself had a subaru at the time which was brilliant in the snow. Baby ended up being delivered 9 weeks early. He is fine now and totally enjoying lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Villain wrote: »
    It is on a patio table so you couldn't do it any better than that!

It's one very low table if that's the case, or that's one very large, high fence. Anyway, they got whatever depth they got so again, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

It will be snow over mid, north Leinster (south Wicklow north), Ulster and north Connaught.

Outside of that not good.

Bold statement Kermit. I will show you my snow tonight in Sligo....though are we Connaught or Ulster?

When they said snow in Connaught we got none, when they say snow in Ulster we also get none. Is there a Connster?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Et9paf_XIAEVhlh?format=jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I measured 5cm on a garden table yesterday. I reckon we could have had more but the wind was blowing all the snow into the corners.
    Galway West. Most snow I have seen in my location in many years. 2010 brought is amazing scenes and a frozen Lough Corrib but very little snow.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Told my kids early in the week it was going to snow yesterday, my 8 year now thinks I make the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It's one very low table if that's the case, or that's one very large, high fence. Anyway, they got whatever depth they got so again, fair play.

Few more photos for the doubters :D

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1360171432056078336?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Speaking of snow depth, i wonder how much there will be on top of Croagh Patrick before the rain comes.

Looking at the times he must have contacted them to take more pics after the discussion in here lol. Well at least everyone reading now knows not to measure snow in the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

A real "Read it and weep Beeetches!!" moment :D

Told my kids early in the week it was going to snow yesterday, my 8 year now thinks I make the weather.

Told my kids early in the week it was going to snow yesterday, my 9 year old now thinks I make UP the weather

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Looking at the times he must have contacted them to take more pics after the discussion in here lol. Well at least everyone reading now knows not to measure snow in the grass.

I did, I said there is a lad on boards that is doubting your snow depth measuring skills and more proof is required LOL :D

Arklow
    3.4c
    Dewpoint minus 4.7c
    Wetbulb -0.4c
    Rh 56%
    Pressure 1025.4 rising

Wind SE 30kmh gusting 50

Groundhog day

Front pushing up against that is likely to stall again somewhere west of east potentially dumping all of its snow there before siberia packs its bags

I did, I said there is a lad on boards that is doubting your snow depth measuring skills and more proof is required LOL :D

Haha to be fair the first picture did look like grass. No confusion with the following pics.

Dont mean to be pedantic but whose to say you didnt just get snow off the ground and put it on the table and level it off:P

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Dont mean to be pedantic but whose to say you didnt just get snow off the ground and put it on the table and level it off:P

You learnt a new word today :p

I'm not asking for any more photos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Speaking of snow depth, i wonder how much there will be on top of Croagh Patrick before the rain comes.

Good bit on it but you can see where’s it drifting in the wind. Fog down so can’t see the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Longing

Wow some people are really triggered today. Get a grip. Lived through many a easterly I can tell you many of them bring what we had this week and not all bring snow. Great to see the folks out west enjoying what the got yesterday that's what's its all about bringing a bit joy to people's face's and there hearts this these very difficult times. A cold biting easterly wind hushing through the tree's and everywhere dry is better than the mild damp crap next week. Enjoy today and tomorrow for some.

Will there be an avalanche in Westport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

As has been pointed out, and it should be painfully obvious. The areas that did well yesterday traditionally get much less snow, from every single event we get on the Island. Yesterday really was an event for them and a non even for us.

It's nice to ask for the photo's etc and even nice the view them

Lets forget this is not the end of the world, heck is not even the real end of winter!
    Us close to the East will surely see snow again in 2021, I really doubt the West will after this weekend so let them have their moment of, glory and enjoy it without feeling attacked when they post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Exclusive footage from Croagh Patrick

giphy.gif

Longing wrote: »
    Wow some people are really triggered today. Get a grip. Lived through many a easterly I can tell you many of them bring what we had this week and not all bring snow. Great to see the folks out west enjoying what the got yesterday that's what's its all about bringing a bit joy to people's face's and there hearts this these very difficult times. A cold biting easterly wind hushing through the tree's and everywhere dry is better than the mild damp crap next week. Enjoy today and tomorrow for some.

Yes but the poor sods out east back then didn't have smartphones being pinged with photos from @carliwweather's followers :D
    They were blissful in their ignorance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have updated thread title in line with Met E warning for tonight/tomorrow morning for Connacht, Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal.

When that warning has passed/expired, I will re-name this thread Cold Spell 7th to 13th Feb 2021...for posterity.

For those posting pictures, also remember to post in the picture thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058145457

• Advertisement

Or from the fridge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement