Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Villain wrote: »
    That's very nice, thanks for the update! The earlier photo had some mad perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Longing wrote: »
    Wow some people are really triggered today. Get a grip. Lived through many a easterly I can tell you many of them bring what we had this week and not all bring snow. Great to see the folks out west enjoying what the got yesterday that's what's its all about bringing a bit joy to people's face's and there hearts this these very difficult times. A cold biting easterly wind hushing through the tree's and everywhere dry is better than the mild damp crap next week. Enjoy today and tomorrow for some.
    Who's triggered haha, sometimes people see fake drama in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Castlebar 11/02/21
    vLG9G6V.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Birdhill co tipperary 11/02/21
    enXDuGh.jpg

12/02/21
    YGYohPZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

Villain wrote: »

Amazing the difference between one side of the country and the other I've just cut the grass in kildare!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Well we got to build a snowman at last, he's 5'10" so a hat will be needed.

Measured the snow on the driveway, probably not accurate but a good indication of what fell. It's too windy here to send the drone up, hopefully later and I'll get some high altitude pics of the land around us.

Located just east of Newport, Mayo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nothing here yesterday or last night at Dunshaughlin, not a single flake. Unfortunately no sudden turnaround in the models either. Not expecting any snow here tonight or tomorrow with that snow shadow so back to model watching for me to try and get one event that delivers before winter/start of March is over!.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Drum Maigh Eo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Temperature showing 5c in the car just now, this doesn't bode well for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

I wonder if the higher than expected amount of snow that Mayo received is an omen for something else that hasn`t happened in a long long time. Could Sam finally be making his way there this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Although Galway got snow it was gone last night but for a few hours it was blizzard like conditions with the strong wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »

That was a false reading due to the very spicy food you had last night. It's your cars way of telling you eat less spicy food Senor Pangea.

With this front coming from the west the colder air will be mixed out quicker i feel in much of the west, maybe the snowfields will make a different in some parts. Where i am i think there will be a quick enough transition to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

I wonder if the higher than expected amount of snow that Mayo received is an omen for something else that hasn`t happened in a long long time. Could Sam finally be making his way there this year?

doubt it............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Pangea wrote: »

It’s warmed up here too. Not sure what happened

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

That was a false reading due to the very spicy food you had last night. It's your cars way of telling you eat less spicy food Senor Pangea.

With this front coming from the west the colder air will be mixed out quicker i feel in much of the west, maybe the snowfields will make a different in some parts. Where i am i think there will be a quick enough transition to rain.

That’s a pain. I was worried that that front yesterday would ruin it for us and mix out the cold air.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    That’s a pain. I was worried that that front yesterday would ruin it for us and mix out the cold air.

That's the problem when we get a series of fronts coming at us, the first one can fail, but it will usually mean the other fronts meet less resistance. All the talk on Netweather of the cold air winning out was misleading, it'll never win in these situations, just delay the return of the inevitable. What we needed to sustain this cold spell was that low in the Atlantic being forced to go under the block, instead of just sitting there out in the Atlantic throwing fronts at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Although Galway got snow it was gone last night but for a few hours it was blizzard like conditions with the strong wind.

Galway city that is, plenty of snow still lying in Galway county this morning when I was leaving for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭giveitholly

6c here in tipp and when the sun comes out it feels spring like

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Expecting light to moderate patchy graupel to commence early A.M. then a transition into moderate wet snow or sleet just after dawn (coastal central Leinster). Precipitation will then taper off after lunch time. Expecting anything from 0 to 3cm cm of wintry mess here. Or possibly precipitation will stay patchy due to an annoying SSE wind. Looks somewhat better for NI as they will be a degree or two colder (a few inches will fall widely there according to the latest charts). Anyways, seeing wintry precipitation for a few hours in near gale SSE winds will be a nice last hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Mod Note: I have updated thread title in line with Met E warning for tonight/tomorrow morning for Connacht, Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal.

When that warning has passed/expired, I will re-name this thread Cold Spell 7th to 13th Feb 2021...for posterity.

For those posting pictures, also remember to post in the picture thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058145457

I thought you were going to re-name it, "The Sh1te from the Right"?? :D

Maybe that was Gonzo...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Calibos wrote: »
    I thought you were going to re-name it, "The Sh1te from the Right"?? :D

Maybe that was Gonzo...

Me....still may do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Me....still may do! :)

depends on what tonight brings ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

A lot of the snow has now melted in and around Castlebar. Is there more on the way or is that it? Had to go to work today so missed the sledding and snowmen oppertunites today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Fireman Sam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Knock airport is open today (closed the next two days) so there have been some manned reports. The 11 am synop reported 2 cm of lying snow, reducing to 1 cm at 12 and 1 pm. I'd love to know what it was during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Link to put all your Beautiful Snow Pictures in ....:)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058145457

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

m17 wrote: »
    Birdhill co tipperary 11/02/21
    enXDuGh.jpg

12/02/21
    YGYohPZ.jpg

At least the prices didnt change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Only awake, feels a little milder but hopefully I'm getting up 10cm tonight for Carrick on Shannon before it transitions back to rain 3c feels like 1c

Anyways, seeing wintry precipitation for a few hours in near gale SSE winds will be a nice last hurrah.

A nice last hurray until the polar low of the 28th of February gives a nationwide heavy snowfall. Kermit is already perfecting his snow dance routine in order to make it happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

At least the prices didnt change
    I remember in September 2013 in wexford that it was €1.80 for a litre of petrol that's was insane yet I remember in December 2009 it was 96c a litre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement