Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Gonzo wrote: »
    I used to do that as a child and a teenager. I started in 1987 and managed to build a 12 foot high mound which lasted at least a week after the general snow had melted. I tried to build a snow mountain in February 1991 and it got to impressive heights and lasted a while after the snow thawed but from I remember the thaw so fairly rapid after the cold spell ended so my mountain did not last several weeks which I hoped for.

Back in January 2013 we had a small thunderstorm that dropped the biggest hail i seen before or since.
    I put a dish of them in the freezer and forgot about them until a few weeks later.
    I still have no idea why i put them in it :o

238917.jpg

m17 wrote: »
    Crossmalina co mayo
    qMQIXd0.jpg

Just out of interest are those photos you've taken yourself or got sent to you or do you just randomly take them of other people's social media and post them here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

lolie wrote: »
    Back in January 2013 we had a small thunderstorm that dropped the biggest hail i seen before or since.
    I put a dish of them in the freezer and forgot about them until a few weeks later.
    I still have no idea why i put them in it :o

238917.jpg

Ok before we can judge the hail appropriately please answer me this - would you be known for having fat fingers?

(No offence ;))

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If ECMWF 12z verifies we have a proper covering of snow in Greater Dublin by dawn, quickly turning to rain around 10-11am before clearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Big upgrade from ECMWF for the snow event in Leinster, would be disruption in morning if verified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

lolie wrote: »
    Just out of interest are those photos you've taken yourself or got sent to you or do you just randomly take them of other people's social media and post them here?

Surely came from someone else. I'm sure anyone from crossmolina knows how to spell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Considering getting a few cans in now after that ecm. Brings light snow in earlier than most other models and pretty constant throughout the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes looks like snow until midday and thaw later in afternoon. Would take that to be honest
    If ECMWF 12z verifies we have a proper covering of snow in Greater Dublin by dawn, quickly turning to rain around 10-11am before clearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Going by met eireann I should have snow from midnight till 7am, I'm staying up anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

On the beach with the dogs earlier and it was not near as cold as was yesterday but still bitter in the wind.
    My max temp yesterday Thursday of 1.8C
    Today’s high was 5.2C

Its currently 3.1C and not really budging but on a positive note, Dp is still below freezing at -1C
    Will scrutinise the the 12Z’s but still hopeful for the us coastal dwellers later for snow as we have a draw of cold dry air in from the east from the UK.

Forecast done earlier and will see if another update needed from the noon run. Im still confident the best places are Leinster and Ulster but most will get a period of snow but more to the east and north will have snow falling for longer periods but its a transient affair, 2 to 4hrs max with longer duration more north and east you go. Back to Atlantic tomorrow:(

Here’s my forecast if anyone wants to view based on the 06Z ECM/ ICON/NEMS low res GFS

https://youtu.be/uq90DJ34oJw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gerry murphy on the forecast saying flooding along the south coast in the morning at high tied at 6.20am is now also possible due to strong SE winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BBC Ni forecast just now. Blizzard conditions, 20 cms on higher ground and drifting. Music to my ears :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Going by met eireann I should have snow from midnight till 7am, I'm staying up anyway

Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

sicknotexi wrote: »
    Considering getting a few cans in now after that ecm. Brings light snow in earlier than most other models and pretty constant throughout the early hours.

Put it this way, if it snows you'll be glad you've can's and if it doesn't snow you'll be glad you've can's.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,870 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm a bit neutral on this one. I guess it will be nice to see snow for some time but given you can count the number of hours on one hand the amount of time snow would be on the surface it's hard to be super enthusiastic.

Hope most in the east get a few cms before normal service resumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

I'm a bit neutral on this one. I guess it will be nice to see snow for some time but given you can count the number of hours on one hand the amount of time snow would be on the surface it's hard to be super enthusiastic.

what time is it exspected in the east or should i say north kilkenny as thats where i am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Bittersweet would be a very apt word to use in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Think I will remember winter 20/21 as being a total flirt lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

I would forego any snow in Mayo tonight and send it over east. Fingers crossed for the snow lovers on the Eastern flank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

After all those spoofy models this week and last i no longer believe a word of it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

yorlum11 wrote: »
    I would forego any snow in Mayo tonight and send it over east. Fingers crossed for the snow lovers on the Eastern flank.

Send it up to me thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Got some small snow shower here in D14.. light stuff of course, but it's another day of "snow falling" for Dublin! :D

The Proof:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Is anyone expecting anything tonight? I'm in Carlow and given the let down yesterday I'd say sleet at best

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

After all the promise and wonderful charts, this winter has turned out to be extremely disappointing where just about everything went wrong for many of us who wanted a sustained cold and snowy spell. At least parts of the west and north-west got to enjoy a slice of winter snow yesterday.

It may snow here tonight but I've no interest in it as it will simply melt at breakneck speed early on tomorrow morning and there won't be any time to go outside and enjoy it.

Currently my local mean temperature is 4C and the February mean is 4.9. I'll expect this to increase rapidly over the next 7 to 10 days. It remains to be seen if we'll get any cold weather before the end of February and if we don't i'll expect February to finish at least a degree above average.

We may get another cold spell but it will probably be more of an early March event rather than impacting the final week of February as a whole.

Not looking forward to the mild wet and windy muck over the next week but hopefully the final 7 to 10 day of February will quieten down alot with some much needed dry and sunny weather and hopefully some frosty nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I’ll second that. Took me 3 hours to get to Belmullet from south Mayo this morning. The snow was about a foot high each side of the road between Crossmolina and Bellacorick...absolute pain driving in those dangerous conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looking forward to this, a mini storm Emma lol here's hoping it will fall heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

That’s something i never thought I would read

Ok before we can judge the hail appropriately please answer me this - would you be known for having fat fingers?

(No offence ;))

None taken, the paws are a bit on the big side alright. If i remember correctly they were 2cm wide and from a small cell that stayed intact as it crossed the country. Anyway I'm sure there's people in the northwest laughing at me thinking thats big hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,870 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I would forego any snow in Mayo tonight and send it over east.

No you wouldn't :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Pangea wrote: »
    BBC Ni forecast just now. Blizzard conditions, 20 cms on higher ground and drifting. Music to my ears :)

Mine too! I'm in NW Donegal and looking forward to seeing the Derryveagh mountain range all white again. Probably not get up them with those pesky winds but still be nice to look at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement