Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Pretty much all the snow I can remember before Feb 2009 snow was the classic 'rain preceded by sleet and snow'.

If there is any covering of snow by tomorrow morning it is a success to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gerry talking snow tonight

A surprise for the pale in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Unless today turns out to be Thursday 2.0 :D

No sign of any Precip here yet, not expecting snow, sleet at best.

Wouldn't be surprised if a few flakes fell here tonight before the secondary front moves in. Temps are above the threashold but the air outside has that distinctive 'scent'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Flakes blowing in the wind in Wexford

Temp : 2.6c
    DP : -2

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

It looks like we could get a few cms overnight in D24?

Sadly it looks like it will turn to rain by around 9/10 am? So I'll have to be up bright and early to make my snowman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wind howling at the moment and 3c , I have a feeling I might see rain falling , would have thought it should be a bit lower for snowfall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Light Sleet /wet snow Athenry, wasn't expecting anything for another couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Pangea wrote: »
    Wind howling at the moment and 3c , I have a feeling I might see rain falling , would have thought it should be a bit lower for snowfall?

Temperature will come down later.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Currently 3.3c in Waterford and falling slowly, DP 0.9c maybe just maybe if it nudges a little further down 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm officially saying this is gonna be a little storm Emma so I'm calling it storm Lema

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wild night in Waterford City, Wind gusting near 70km/h and Temps on the slide to 3.3c DP 1.1c. The irony of it all if we got some flakes tonight.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

Pangea wrote: »

Temp continuing to drop here in Arklow
    Down to 1.8/-4.6c now
    Continuing to amaze me with 50kmh gusts straight off the Irish sea
    Wetbulb now -1c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

1.9°c here in the soon to be worst place in Leinster for snow tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

pad199207 wrote: »
    1.9°c here in the soon to be worst place in Leinster for snow tonight :D

Remember to take plenty of photos for us Pad!!

In other news, has the shadow moved further north? AKA is SCD going to do okay in this? :D

Also the front seems sooner than forecasted? Although I think it's bound to stall soon im guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

1.7c with few point of -2.5c in Tullow

Wild night in Waterford City, Wind gusting near 70km/h and Temps on the slide to 3.3c DP 1.1c. The irony of it all if we got some flakes tonight.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com
    Continuing to fall slowly, was well and truly off the roller coaster and here I am jumping back on with hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Had to work outside today and that wind felt as intensely cold as I remember from a nor’easter in Boston in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Billcarson wrote: »
    Any snowmen that get made tomorrow will have very short lives god rest their souls. They will be the innocent victims of this poor cold spell.

As the old proverb says It is better to have made a snowman and lost than never to have made one at all...

Villain wrote: »
    1.7c with few point of -2.5c in Tullow

1.7c here too now also
    Wet bulb also dropping -1.2c
    Dewpoint now -4.7c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Radar struggling again, should be pouring here but just a few flakes in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Radar looking good for now. Just waiting for that big hole to appear over Kildare and Meath :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

Just when I thought I was out....

Aunty Snow, how are we looking for Gorey and Arklow. I stay up pretty late at the weekend, if anything is to happen what time do you reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

yorlum11 wrote: »
    I would forego any snow in Mayo tonight and send it over east. Fingers crossed for the snow lovers on the Eastern flank.
    That’s something i never thought I would read

Sure they've been forego-ing All-Irelands there since the 50's and sending them over to Dublin! :p

R.F. wrote: »
    Just when I thought I was out....

Aunty Snow, how are we looking for Gorey and Arklow. I stay up pretty late at the weekend, if anything is to happen what time do you reckon?

Looking Good at the moment
    Temp dropping
    Dewpoint way below zero
    Wetbulb sub minus one
    All in a sea wind gusting to 50kmh
    Heavy whiteout conditions possible in those parameters assuming the front is as active as its supposed to be
    A few hours of that
    Better if on a hill
    It'll be after 1am

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Icy rain in Waterford City. You can actually hear the ice hitting surfaces. Semi building up on car windows. Haven't seen this too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Ice pellets or graupel or hail falling here, hard to see in the dark but its icy and crunchy under foot. Also fairly windy.
    5k south of Tuam

Unreal wind here in South Laois for an ESE'ly. Averaging just 30mph and gusting 44mph. (Standard 10m height)

Temperatures dropping. Currently 2.1c with a dewpoint of -1.2c. A raw evening with a windchill around -5c. Dry, but the radar suggests precipitation is very near.

Icy rain in Waterford City. You can actually hear the ice hitting surfaces. Semi building up on car windows. Haven't seen this too often.

Freezing rain - video that, it's quite rare for Ireland and even rarer that near the sea.

Can hear it hitting the windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Already perhaps a shadow here. Can see stars. That wind is extremely cold!

1.5°c

036-A09-D5-3718-4910-9879-29-D87-DBB68-A4.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement