Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Is it really raining in Athlone or is this sensor error at Custume Barracks? Anyone there to confirm?

SPECI EIAC 122255Z AUTO 13018KT 9999 -RA SCT031/// OVC049/// 02/M03 Q1021=
    SPECI EIAC 122238Z AUTO 13017G27KT 9999 -RA FEW031/// OVC049/// 02/M03 Q1021=

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Unlikely to be raining at Athlone. Sleet I'd imagine but more likely snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Would prefer the wind calmed down so we could have a more uniform layer of snow.

This is going to be a quick cover of snow, so with that in mind let the wind howl it around and make it something unique.

Storm Emma wasn't overly windy in these parts plus there was already plenty of snow before it arrived, so tonight will be a novelty. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭typhoony

1.5c here in south galway and sleeting, thats positive for midlands and East for later on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Temp continuing to fall now at 1.5C and Dp -1.8C
    Cloudy and windy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

DOCARCH wrote: »
    1.2c DP -2.5c atm in Dublin 16. Encouraging.

Temps haven't been the problem in Dublin all week though! After this let down of a cold spell the first persom to post 'get the cold in first' is getting a virtual smack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Cloudy here but wind picking up in Carrick-on-Shannon 1c

DOCARCH wrote: »
    All that lovely UK cold blowing across the sea!

Not overly confident about my DP as I have thought for a while that humidity sensor on VP2 has been a bit dodgy. Some very odd readings recently!

Mine has been more or less matching the Arklow met Éireann wow station
    We are probably one of the closest points to Wales on the east coast, the lleyn peninsula
    As I've said before,we could smell their chip vans this week :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Will need the precipitation to douse down these flames, what a night to light fires, insane in this wind.

https://twitter.com/chrisgasoga/status/1360353410306998274?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Temps haven't been the problem in Dublin all week though! After this let down of a cold spell the first persom to post 'get the cold in first' is getting a virtual smack.

All you need is the get the cold in first and bang ..
    sorry couldn’t resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Going by RedSteve's report, it is probably icy rain here now too. I could get up and look out the front door again to double check, but I really can't be arsed.

New Moon

Is it really raining in Athlone or is this sensor error at Custume Barracks? Anyone there to confirm?

Now reporting sleet

SPECI EIAC 122302Z AUTO 13018G31KT 3500 -RASN BKN021/// OVC049/// 02/M02 Q1021=

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Encouraging by way that temps are falling as the precipitation gets closer. More often than not the opposite happens!

Temps are one thing, getting the precipitation here is another!

Switching over to rain now at Gurteen and Athenry at 11 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I'm just in out of it and can confirm in south Roscommon its rain, hail, sleet graupel and snow - all at the same time.

Temp down to 2.3 and falling and that brutal seemingly never-ending wind!

Not the best night of the year to run out of shed space for lambing ewes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh that's bad, I'm hoping I get snow for a while anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Wet snow commencing near Tullamore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks heavy over Galway

zgRRzFr.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Tiny bits of sleet on and off in Carlow Town, that's me out, night folks.

1.1/-5.8c
    Wetbulb -1.9c
    Gusting 46.7 SE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Webcam stream on Killeshin hills above Carlow, not much use at night but you can see something is falling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Neddyusa wrote: »
    I'm just in out of it and can confirm in south Roscommon its rain, hail, sleet graupel and snow - all at the same time.

Same here, covering all surfaces atm.
    5k south of Tuam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Will need the precipitation to douse down these flames, what a night to light fires, insane in this wind.

https://twitter.com/chrisgasoga/status/1360353410306998274?s=20

Same here last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Light snowfall now in Collooney, Sligo blowing around with the wind. Good sign with the heaviest set to come yet in the next 3 or 4 hours time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Started off as a real icy rain here just east of Castlebar. Fascinating to see the little ice pellets sliding down the window. A lot more flakes have appeared in this wintry mix over the past 10 minutes. Looking promising hopefully for some lampost watchers later on across the country. Good luck to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dzer2

Villain wrote: »
    Webcam stream on Killeshin hills above Carlow, not much use at night but you can see something is falling :D

I am at the back of that cam
    Its snowing but sticking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Neddyusa wrote: »

Temp down to 2.3 and falling and that brutal seemingly never-ending wind!

Not the best night of the year to run out of shed space for lambing ewes :(

I’m sure you’ll get your snow in an hour or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Down to 0.3c now and surfaces gradually whitening. (South Laois).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

Wind is crazy here on the meath coast, have east & south facing windows in the apartment walls / roof & windows creaking quite alot and the worst is yet to come on Sunday with simular wind direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Accumulation of something icey on the car, radar inaccurate again, looks really heavy on it but nothing here now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement