Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    These are some weird-ass conditions at the moment.

I'm normally out doing Astronomy at this hour on clear nights and honestly all my gear would be dripping wet with dew. I just felt the grass outside and it's bone dry. Like BONE dry. It's very very strange! Location Ashford Co Wicklow.

Clear spells and some cloud but otherwise a lovely night so far.

Funny Story. Was doing an Public Outreach Event in Glendalough in '08 with my 12in Orion Dob. Very cold, beautiful skies, excellent Seeing, Mirror Fan on all night to cool the mirror to ambient and keep dew off. Packed up at the end of the night, headed back to Bray, decided to setup in the back garden for one last look at the Sky before packing Scope away in the Shed. Couldn't see an effing thing. WTF is going on!!! Secondary hasn't fallen off/rotated-check, didn't leave a lens cap on-Check, WTF is it?? I look down Tube. LMFAO. :D My moisture filled exhalations in the car on the way home had all condensed on the super-cooled Main Mirror and it had a mm or two thick Fern jack frost all over it!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It is quite an event once these fronts hit cold air like this. Sadly we don't get it more often.

True, this is what folk living along the NE coast of the USA experience very frequently. Go 30 or 40 miles in land and the cold continental airmass turns the returning Atlantic mild to white gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wet snow is starting to stick here.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

It is quite an event once these fronts hit cold air like this. Sadly we don't get it more often.

If only the transition to rain could happen a little bit later tomorrow, give the kids big and small a chance to enjoy it in the morning.
    Maybe who knows. ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

Light snow in Athlone

SPECI EIAC 122335Z AUTO 13016KT 4700 -SN FEW021/// SCT036/// OVC045/// 01/M02 Q1021=

Just about to confirm that maybe 10km NW of Athlone town the freezing rain/sleet mix is turning more to snow, south Roscommon 60m asl

No streetlamps to be watching, so I'll venture out again in a bit to see if it's sticking any bit (doubtful yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Hail to snow in Westport. Vicious wind with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lolie wrote: »
    If only it would turn back just before the mild air gets in.

That's why I'm not as up for this as I would normally be. If we were staying in the freezer I'd be more excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'm giving it one more hour to see what that leading edge of the radar returns brings me (if anything). Here's your big moment now, weather model. What's it going to be? Shadow or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

Neddyusa wrote: »
    I'm just in out of it and can confirm in south Roscommon its rain, hail, sleet graupel and snow - all at the same time.

Temp down to 2.3 and falling and that brutal seemingly never-ending wind!

Not the best night of the year to run out of shed space for lambing ewes :(

How ye do it I'll never know, but the lambs are so cute I bet it helps!

I'm giving in one more hour to see what that leading edge of the radar returns brings me (if anything). Here's your big moment now, weather model. What's it going to be? Shadow or not?

No issue so far. If it somehow stayed that way we would be looking at more sig amounts than progged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Mix of sleet, snow and freezing ran in Carlow. Just went outside and there's a layer of mushy ice on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Light layer on car, west Co Wexford @ 60metres. Grass getting white, but not landing on roads. Probably too warm after 4C earlier. Very surprised when got into car from work..Heavy enough, no wipers needed. 1C according to car.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

Temp dropped from 2.0 degrees Celsius to -0.4 in the space of 2 hours . 26km/h winds dp-4.9. Icy cold.. 250m Glencee valley co wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Calibos wrote: »
    Funny Story. Was doing an Public Outreach Event in Glendalough in '08 with my 12in Orion Dob. Very cold, beautiful skies, excellent Seeing, Mirror Fan on all night to cool the mirror to ambient and keep dew off. Packed up at the end of the night, headed back to Bray, decided to setup in the back garden for one last look at the Sky before packing Scope away in the Shed. Couldn't see an effing thing. WTF is going on!!! Secondary hasn't fallen off/rotated-check, didn't leave a lens cap on-Check, WTF is it?? I look down Tube. LMFAO. :D My moisture filled exhalations in the car on the way home had all condensed on the super-cooled Main Mirror and it had a mm or two thick Fern jack frost all over it!! :D

:) Funny.

Hope you still have that Dob! I've a C11 SCT and have never once used it without the heated dewshield. I'm ordinarily only 2km from Wicklow Head and 280m from the Irish Sea so maybe its a coastal thing... But the moisture is normally so high. Honestly it's the weirdest thing ever to feel dry grass in the dark.

It's too cloudy to stargaze so this cloud cover damn well better deliver some sneachta!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Separate from the snow but there is some rain falling in Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Met Eireann need to ditch the yellow warnings.

The wind is more an issue tonight than snow.
    Gales forecast but no yellow warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

Light snow falling in Tullamore. Grass turning white.

Rodin wrote: »

Gerry did have a Yellow wind warning at 7 pm anyway. There were three yellows in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

A yellow warning has been issued for some counties.

The wind in Cork city tonight sounds worse than some of the names storms,absolutely howling.

• Advertisement

There is a warning for wind tonight - Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

See: https://www.met.ie/warnings/today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

A good top up of snow in Loughrea over past couple of hours. Expect it won't last but yesterday's snow will live long in the memory, a real relief from lockdown and first snowmen for our youngest two, they were thrilled.

Thanks to all contributors here and on technical thread over past few days, has been a great distraction, informative as ever.

The weather in this country is forever delighting some and disappointing others. It'll be everyone's turn in the long run!

The spread of "0c" is increasing under the band of precipitation: https://wow.met.ie/

Thurles ACS has dropped 0.8c (from 1.8c to 1.0c) in the last hour which hints that the cold is digging in further west.

Visibility down a bit more (2.7 km) in Athlone.

METAR EIAC 130000Z AUTO 13016G26KT 100V160 2700 -SN OVC018/// 00/M01 Q1020=

Light snow shower at Oak Park

PsMETAR OKPK 130000Z AUTO 13016G34KT 6000NDV -SHSN OVC022/// 00/M03 1023 MSL=

A shower of "unidentified precip" at Mullingar

PsMETAR MULL 130000Z AUTO 12011G24KT 9999NDV SHUP OVC050/// 02/M04 1021 MSL=

Where is Anti Snow? Should be starting with him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Danno wrote: »
    The spread of "0c" is increasing under the band of precipitation: https://wow.met.ie/

Thurles ACS has dropped 0.8c (from 1.8c to 1.0c) in the last hour which hints that the cold is digging in further west.

It’s gone minus here outside Tullamore the last 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

I do believe I see some lamppost flakes here in the shadowlands

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Separate from the snow but there is some rain falling in Kerry.

It has been raining at various levels of intensity in mid Cork since transitioning from wet snow on Thursday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Markree weather station, Sligo temperatures rapidly dropping there in the last hour. This area looks like it could be a sweet spot this morning.

12/02/2021 22:00 3.0°C
    12/02/2021 22:30 3.0°C
    12/02/2021 23:00 2.9°C
    12/02/2021 23:30 2.5°C
    13/02/2021 00:00 2.1°C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It has turned white again in Castlebar, but it's due to all the ice pellets dropping, it is trying is damnedest to snow again though, quite gusty as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement