Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Haven't been online all evening/night (and don't have time to catch up on 20 pages of new posts!) but just checked the radar before lying down for the night and see the front is pretty much on top of me already :confused:

Looking at the models this morning it wasn't due until 8am tomorrow...?

Yes this is really worrying. I hope that it stalls... don’t want the mild coming in far earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Had one last look now and there are about 10 snow grains on the roof of the car here in Celbridge. Here's what the radar is showing, however. Sublimation happening big time before reaching the ground.

543355.png

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Slowly dropping. I think I will sleep to 7am praying that the snow won’t have arrived by then, or it’s over for a snow day.

Its actually colder here right at the open sea door of the islands SE wind

Had one last look now and there are about 10 snow grains on the roof of the car here in Celbridge. Here's what the radar is showing, however. Sublimation happening big time.

543355.png

Definitely as per my last report/comment

Why oh why do they still have Avoca village on that map as Ballykissangel?
    That series must have ended 20 yrs ago
    But even then there's no excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Still nothing here near Arklow anyway despite the radar
    I'm wondering now will this be a repeat of yesterday, the air too dry/cold up this way :eek:

0.8/-5.5c

Fraid so. This event was just set up to be a big tease for us on the East Coast. Despite the lack of delivery it was a nice distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

...and its also spelt wrong for 20 years :D:D

I have equalised your temp and you are under sublimating precipitation. Will be 10c there by midday.

Ballykiss-any hope of decent snow here tonight goodbye.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Dusting in Sligo.

Could be heartbreak for kids.

Snow cover at night gone by morning. Slow down snow

At least its 0.3c

• Advertisement

I have equalised your temp and you are under sublimating precipitation. Will be 10c there by midday.

I hope its 14 actually
    I'd be disappointed if its only 10c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Slowly dropping. I think I will sleep to 7am praying that the snow won’t have arrived by then, or it’s over for a snow day.

The UKMO in their past few forecasts alluded to very heavy snowfall for NI, and it seemed to be based upon a run of energy up the occluded front (similar to a wave) however, it seems this energy (right now) is sticking to the south coast and not moving north as expected.

Still though, lots of hours to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Pleasantly surprised to see a light bit of snow here and steady medium sized flakes falling.

West wexford, under The Blackstairs Mountain at 150m asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

We're all better off knowing it's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

1cm of snow now in Collooney, Sligo and still coming down hard. Warning hasn't even come into effect yet lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Carrick on Shannon proper flakes too 0c

Dazler97 wrote: »

Did you go out in your bare feet ye crazy b@stard!!?? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

One of the most rank winter nights I've ever experienced. In many decades.

It's f'ing snowing horizontally, upwards, you name it into far corners of a half open large A roof hayshed (for want of a better word) and I've had to move cats' houses just now as I've never seen an East wind so relentless and foul.
    Pardon the pun, I LOVE my snow, but this is cat lads.

If you can picture the surprise that mother has for them in the tube corridor in Resident Evil, that's what it's like on the side of a hill in Offaly right now. Cutting me to sh1t.

No drama, just facts. Teresa Mannion. An Tulach Mhór.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

If only this mountain shadow would work for every front that comes in off the Atlantic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Light snown falling here now, south cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Coming down nicely in Wexford, nice covering on the cars but only starting to settle on the paths and grass now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Calibos wrote: »
    Did you go out in your bare feet ye crazy b@stard!!?? :D:D

No the girlfriend did hahah I didn't want her to ruin the pic haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well it's absolutely rotten in West Clare, very loud, unusual to have such strong easterly winds. Very wet too.

Enjoy yer few hours of snowfall! I've gotten it out of my system and I'm not in the slightest bit envious! Wouldn't mind another storm Emma though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Last lamp post watch before bed and I can report not a flake to be seen in D.24 :-(

pad199207 wrote: »
    If only this mountain shadow would work for every front that comes in off the Atlantic. :rolleyes:

I've always said that Bray has its own micro-climate wrapped in the sheltering embrace of the Wicklow and Dublin Mountains. In the prevailing South Westerlies the mountains usually soak up a lot of the rain like a Sponge or divert it around us. So if its raining in Bray, you better believe its raining big time on the Western side of the mountains or in the Dublin plains not sheltered by the Mountains. That extra degree or two added to temps due to the Foehn Effect in the lee of the Mountains is also nice!! :D

So for most Weather types, I'm glad they are there. Can't even really blame them for tonights probable non event though. I'd say its all down to sublimation. The Dry SE'rly air and high pressure is soaking up the precipitation like a Sponge before it even hits the ground.

Dazler97 wrote: »

Love the lights!

The snowline from the 00Z Valentia sounding is at 1800 m! 500-1000 hPa thickness is 544 dam.
    The snowline from the 00Z Castor Bay sounding is 0 m. 500-1000 hPa thickness is 533 dam.

It just shows how unreliable that thickness is for forecasting snow. Much more reliable is the 850-1000 hPa thickness. Below 1290 m usually guarantees snow.

Valentia: 1330 m
    Castor Bay: 1279 m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ice pellets/graupel/mad sh!t falling here in spades in South Laois.

Danno wrote: »
    Ice pellets/graupel/mad sh!t falling here in spades in South Laois.

A mix of nitrogen, oxygen, water, carbon dioxide and other trace gas molecules blowing around in spades here...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ground starting to get wet here in Dunshaughlin, mostly rain but there's bits of sleet and hail mixed in. Certainly won't be any snow here tonight.

The second band coming in behind it looks all rain and that's what it most likely will be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement