Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

A mix of nitrogen, oxygen, water, carbon dioxide and other trace gas molecules blowing around in spades here...

Mostly Dry-Ice (Frozen CO²) given the amount of Sublimation going on! ;);):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Light pellets falling now at Athlone

SPECI EIAC 130151Z AUTO 13019G30KT 7000 -PL BKN011/// BKN014/// OVC048/// M01/M01 Q1019=

Moderate snow at Sligo Airport.

METAR EISG 130200Z AUTO 12020G34KT 1700 SN OVC005 00/M01 Q1016 RESN=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A mix of nitrogen, oxygen, water, carbon dioxide and other trace gas molecules blowing around in spades here...

Damn Wicklow Mountains. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Love the lights!

Thanks got them on amazon

Gonzo wrote: »
    ground starting to get wet here in Dunshaughlin, mostly rain but there's bits of sleet and hail mixed in. Certainly won't be any snow here tonight.

The second band coming in behind it looks all rain and that's what it most likely will be.

Don't give up that's what happened here and there's 2cm already here, keep the faith Gonzo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Think I'm going to hit the hay. Nothing to report in north Dublin as of yet and I'm not that optimistic going on the radar for the next hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Netweather radar says its party time.

Reality says it's bed time.

Not a flake.

Didn't even get crisp Blue Skies on the East Coast most of the time this week. Just Cold Dull nothingness. Seeing as this is likely a Bust for the East Coast, I for one can't wait to feel a bit of warmth in the air tomorrow afternoon. 10ºc should feel heavenly in comparison to the misery of the last week. Despite what I just said, ironically also looking forward to the cold next week with the High pressure because at least that should bring crisp blue skies with it. However, Cold and Grey can stay away!! :D

What's falling here in Celbridge now is just the very occasional clear ice pellet. Very small. If they were sugar crystals there wouldn't be enough of them on the roof of the car to even taste.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Netweather radar says its party time.

Reality says it's bed time.

Not a flake.

And that just about sums it up nicely. Blow the whistle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

In all my years monitoring cold spells this is probably the worst one we've ever had given the potential, an absolute bust at every move and turn.

Roll on the mild weather, at least we may get some sunny spells between the rain and the heating bills won't be as excessive! Hopefully that high pressure gets going over the next week so well have some nice days good for walking and nice sunsets. None of this garbage we've put up with for the past week!.

Final parting shot: Casement reporting light rain at 2 am, dewpoint down even lower now at -6. You couldn't make it up.

METAR EIME 130200Z 14014G31KT 9999 -RA FEW029 BKN050 01/M06 Q1022=

Ice pellets/rain would mean there's a warm layer aloft, overrunning the cold surface layer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

amor3 wrote: »
    Last lamp post watch before bed and I can report not a flake to be seen in D.24 :-(

Flakes and spits of hail in d22

A few small random flakes now in Celbridge. Still, couldn't be bothered staying up any longer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Time for bed everyone, don't waste your energy on this, the mild is taking over already. If there is any cold spell between now and end of March it will be better than this one, wouldn't be difficult despite being into the start of Spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Complete ground cover in Tullamore. High ground.

And walls and nearly effing under roofs.

And drier snow than I expected? Started off wet but not remotely wet to the hand in the last half hour.
    I've been out nightly in 2010 big freeze walking s Scottish nutjob (aka a Westie), in the the snow blizzard of Storm Emma, in the 1ft snow of 1982, in Ophelias high winds but that night out there is one dirty Sasanach hoor. Simple as.

4cm in Carrick on Shannon 0c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Light snow blowing in the wind here now at last - SW Donegal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Dazler97 wrote: »

Lovely! Bodes well for us despite all the negativity in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Similar views here Dazler97, but the winds are foul with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

In all my years monitoring cold spells this is probably the worst one we've ever had given the potential, an absolute bust at every move and turn.

Roll on the mild weather, at least we may get some sunny spells between the rain and the heating bills won't be as excessive! Hopefully that high pressure gets going over the next week so well have some nice days good for walking and nice sunsets. None of this garbage we've put up with for the past week!.

I'd give March 2013 that honour, a full month of extreme cold that delivered nothing more than miserable grey skies and bitterly cold winds (with the exception of north Ulster which had a historic blizzard). I think that was the month the term 'snizzle' was popularised on here

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

It’s a snowing. Gorey

This is worse than February 2012. At least that spell had the decency to literally stop dead at the Welsh Coast leaving us entirely on the mild side for the duration. We might have been pissed off that we weren't getting a taste of it but at least we knew we weren't. This Event promised near greatness at every turn and only delivered for a lucky few.

543361.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

/quote]

Think some lucky posters in the west would disagree!
    I'd give March 2013 that honour, a full month of extreme cold that delivered nothing more than miserable grey skies and bitterly cold winds (with the exception of north Ulster which had a historic blizzard). I think that was the month the term 'snizzle' was popularised on here

I did well from March 2013, it was last decent snowfall i had, apart from two weeks ago that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Live camera from Strandhill Sligo. https://www.strandhillsurfschool.com/surf_forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Snowing in south sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1360418209246175236?s=20

Graupel/pellets have stopped here now. Maybe that is the extent of the snow for this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

About time for ya :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Actually decently starting to get going in Monasterevin. Never going to stick though, not heavy enough and the wind is blowing it all over the place.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    About time for ya :D:D

Thank you, I'm freezing now, gonna roll a smoke and have a cuppa in it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement