Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    As they should. They are called 'Met Eireann' and not 'Met East and South Coast'.

That wasn't my point though
    They need to have an area impact based advisory
    But tbh I think they try to do that but it gets lost in the ether by the time it gets to print
    Lost as an extreme or lost as played too down
    Both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

This is a comment made to today fm by Siobhan Ryan

But Siobhan Ryan from Met Eireann says next week could see a Beast from the East style snowfall;

'Early next week we're looking at dustings of snow for Leinster but really all eyes on midweek next week, that's when there will be a chance or risk of a more significant snow event'

Yes as mentioned earlier there could be a significant amount of snow on Wednesday into Thursday. For now north of Galway to Wicklow line at risk further south precipitation will start as snow but then it will be rather mixed

There is a lot of misreading of charts lately, I notice. Many people just seem attracted to blue colours and don't read what is actually being shown (most often with the Meteociel SPL/500 hPa chart, mistaking colours for thickness instead of 500-hPa geopotential). Read the small print!

True
    I prefer magenta
    Very pretty:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I have seen more positive lads on death row.

Oh get over yourselves. There are others in here who never have anything good to say and are non stop doom and gloom and yet because I simply say I'm getting a bit nervous, there's a pile on. Go away and let people express themselves.

My getting nervous is not going to affect the weather. Oh and I'm basing my nervousness on a post that Gaoith Laidir posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

YanSno wrote: »
    Yes as mentioned earlier there could be a significant amount of snow on Wednesday into Thursday. For now north of Galway to Wicklow line at risk further south precipitation will start as snow but then it will be rather mixed

Before it was mentioned Mon/Tues would have significant snow. Is this now downgraded?

As fro Wed/Thursday, that is still too far out to call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's coming Anti Snow, it's coming...

anim_ftn5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

There is a lot of misreading of charts lately, I notice. Many people just seem attracted to blue colours and don't read what is actually being shown (most often with the Meteociel SPL/500 hPa chart, mistaking colours for thickness instead of 500-hPa geopotential). Read the small print!

In fairness, we have to allow for people visiting here who don't normally for 50 or 51 weeks a year. It's imperative that we weather geeks dampen expectation before it goes off the rails. Charts help, and we can try and explain as best we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Oh get over yourselves. There are others in here who never have anything good to say and are non stop doom and gloom and yet because I simply say I'm getting a bit nervous, there's a pile on. Go away and let people express themselves.

My getting nervous is not going to affect the weather. Oh and I'm basing my nervousness on a post that Gaoith Laidir posted.

A couple of days ago you were saying this is all over. Any updates from the Council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

In fairness, we have to allow for people visiting here who don't normally for 50 or 51 weeks a year. It's imperative that we weather geeks dampen expectation before it goes off the rails. Charts help, and we can try and explain as best we can.

Exactly. I go from reading Mt's posts to asking questions during the cold. Some of us have an interest without the expertise to match so this forum is the perfect opportunity to bump shoulders with the big brains (gl, Mt, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Met Éireann currently has no weather warnings in place for this weekend and says one of the only parts of the country that will be affected by possible snow showers next week is the greater Dublin area.

“It looks like that there could be some snow showers on Monday and Tuesday streaming into Dublin,” forecaster Liz Walsh said, but showers will be more akin to the snowfall experienced last month.

“At the moment it doesn’t look like an event. If snow occurs later next week it looks as though it will be short-lived as the air is so mild behind it.”

“The milder air could just come in and there might just be some snow for a few hours and then it’ll melt. Or the cold air could hang on longer and we could get quite a good bit of snow happening somewhere over the country – where the cold air is meeting the warm air,” Walsh said.

My interpretation is they're not expecting much from the showers this week, akin to the levels of snow experienced in parts of the country almost 2 weeks ago. However there could be significant snow if that front stalls across Ireland later next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

These six hourly mood swings are fascinating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Nothing causes more fights than potential snow. Would have made a great plot device for pro wrestling.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Met Éireann currently has no weather warnings in place for this weekend and says one of the only parts of the country that will be affected by possible snow showers next week is the greater Dublin area.

“It looks like that there could be some snow showers on Monday and Tuesday streaming into Dublin,” forecaster Liz Walsh said, but showers will be more akin to the snowfall experienced last month.

“At the moment it doesn’t look like an event. If snow occurs later next week it looks as though it will be short-lived as the air is so mild behind it.”

“The milder air could just come in and there might just be some snow for a few hours and then it’ll melt. Or the cold air could hang on longer and we could get quite a good bit of snow happening somewhere over the country – where the cold air is meeting the warm air,” Walsh said.

My interpretation is they're not expecting much from the showers this week, akin to the levels of snow experienced in parts of the country almost 2 weeks ago. However there could be significant snow if that front stalls across Ireland later next week.

Liz obviously not in close contact with Evelyn!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

YanSno wrote: »

At this stage I wouldn't be looking that far ahead especially 7 days out as they potential risk area could change. Already on 24 hours we have seen some big changes on models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I do feel the first frontal system will fail to bring in milder air and we will get a decent fall of snow,but it will modify the airmass enough that if there is a second or third go the mild air will sweep in fairly easily. I am not getting carried away yet, this could end up going too far south or i could be wrong and the milder air gets in on the first attempt meaning a quick snow to rain event. So i would not be telling anyone there is a significant snow event possible next week. If we see the ECM still showing this by Monday morning then i will start to believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Liz obviously not in close contact with Evelyn!

Snowcial distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

ZWrodqy.png

The Track of this Low Pressure is very important.

We could be getting a significant dump of snow from this, depends on its track.

Each model and run has been getting colder and colder.

If you haven"t got a snow shovel by now.....:D

ZWrodqy.png

The Track of this Low Pressure is very important.

We could be getting a significant dump of snow from this, depends on its track.

Each model and run has been getting colder and colder.

If you haven"t got a snow shovel by now.....:D

It does seem to be tracking further and further south. Will ge interesting what the models this afternoon show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

starting to wonder if Met Eireann staff actually talk to each other. They all seem to have separate forecasts. Evelyn seems quite bullish about snow for eastern counties for Monday and Tuesday and then a more widespread snow event from Wednesday. Hard to find much to be negative about going by current status
    Tyrone212 wrote: »

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

All I can figure out is that the height in the atmosphere at which there is a certain air pressure seems to be linked to temperature (because of the density of the air varies by temperature) but also that buoyancy/lift, or the potential for air to rise and cause precipitation is also somehow involved. There doesn't seem any simple way for me to interpret what the Geopotential at 500 (the colours) actually mean when interpreting a chart.

But at least I can see when the isobars are overlaid (the high pressures have winds that go clockwise, the low, anti-clockwise), I can infer which way the wind is blowing, and so the source of that air, which helps determine its temperature.

And all of that is probably still wrong!

It does seem to be tracking further and further south. Will ge interesting what the models this afternoon show.

QhKbgtk.png

This is what we want.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Warning for SE NI. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?id=ce81df33-8c42-42f3-bb88-880fd65ad316&date=2021-02-08&details

This is why I am not a fan of Easterlies, the snow is usually very localised.

That’s rain down South. Which model is that chart from? ECM looked great for here earlier.

When I mean South it could miss us altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I do feel the first frontal system will fail to bring in milder air and we will get a decent fall of snow,but it will modify the airmass enough that if there is a second or third go the mild air will sweep in fairly easily. I am not getting carried away yet, this could end up going too far south or i could be wrong and the milder air gets in on the first attempt meaning a quick snow to rain event. So i would not be telling anyone there is a significant snow event possible next week. If we see the ECM still showing this by Monday morning then i will start to believe it.

The longer (or further south) the better.

That’s rain down South. Which model is that chart from? ECM looked great for here earlier.

When I mean South it could miss us altogether.

It arrived as snow.:)

Its from Netweathers Predictive snow charts.

OrHgNAm.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just a pic from 2018. I loved how quiet it iwas during heavy snow. Also the way it completely changes the light in the sky .

Screenshot-20210203-132035-Photos.jpg
    cara download photo instagram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

QhKbgtk.png

Not in Cork it isn't! :mad:

• Advertisement

It arrived as snow.:)

Its from Netweathers Predictive snow charts.

OrHgNAm.png

It’s the GFS run which is much more progressive in bringing milder conditions in! I prefer ECM at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement