Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Frontal snow to eventually rain events seem to have become a thing of the past. I remember they were more common place in the 90s. Last memorable one I recall was around 2006 or 2007 or around that time, a full on blizzard for a number of hours (and had the stall the car a few times while driving home in it) and even when long after it had turned to rain, there was still several inches on the ground the next day.

Err ... 2018??

I remember Feb 2009, we were buried in the Wicklow hills with streamer snow. In fact there's probably a thread here on it if you go back far enough!! Only other event to top it since was 2018 aka the beast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

arctictree wrote: »
    Err ... 2018??

It didnt rain at all for the majority of the country. Instead we got this almost glitter like snow for ages.
    Was nice to look at but it took a long time to build up (was so fine and light)

and about 2009 yeah that was awesome. Carlow did very well out of that too, was brilliant. 20km further west Kilkenny got almost nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Err ... 2018??

I'm talking of frontal snow to rain events. The sort of snow that precedes a warm front moving in from the SW against a cold east or southeasterly.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'm talking of frontal snow to rain events. The sort of snow that precedes a warm front moving in from the SW against a cold east or southeasterly.

As far as I remember, the beast turned to rain in southern counties towards the end...

• Advertisement

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Was nice to look at but it took a long time to build up (was so fine and light)

It was more akin to a sand storn, or at least it was here. Watching the dust like snow blow off roofs and cars and along the roads was incredible site**

**sight.

New Moon

As far as I remember, the beast turned to rain in southern counties towards the end...
    I don't live in the south. Emma was snow from start to finish.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Was snow the whole way through in Wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Think everyone should order one of these ! Just to be sure ! Around €30k!

gB3q8ay.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Was snow the whole way through in Wexford

A mate of mine in North Tipp said they got very little snow, and he couldn't believe the status red nationwide warning based off where he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

NufcNavan wrote: »
    A mate of mine in North Tipp said they got very little snow, and he couldn't believe the status red nationwide warning based off where he was.

Emma brought zero snow to South Donegal or Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very nice UKMO tonight.

Will await the ECMWF

At present the steering flow around 700hPa seems like it is more of an East direction than I would like from Sunday through Tuesday but becomes more ENE or NE by Wednesday.

UKM would prolonged the cold until late in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

NufcNavan wrote: »

We travelled from Cork to Kilkenny on the Weds, streamers kicked off that afternoon from what I can remember. We made the decision to travel home on the Friday and had to take the motorway to Naas and then back down to Cork. Backroads weren't in a good way at that stage around Kilkenny.

Kildare was already plastered at that stage. Remarkably little snow once we got down to Tipp and North Cork. There was a decent amount at home in East Cork though due to proximity to the coast and the streamers over the past few days.

We ended up plastered by Emma though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Very nice UKMO tonight.

Will await the ECMWF

At present the steering flow around 700hPa seems like it is more of an East direction than I would like from Sunday through Tuesday but becomes more ENE or NE by Wednesday.

UKM would prolonged the cold until late in the week.

Yes -12 uppers along the East Coast from Sunday through to the end of the run. Should be conducive to the Irish sea peppering the entire coast I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Any charts that can be posted of the 12z runs that have arrived now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Any charts that can be posted of the 12z runs that have arrived now?

They are on the other model discussion thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They are on the other model discussion thread.
    I think the mods were looking to keep the >120 hour charts there, but I don't see much from GFS or UKMO of any kind there or here. Sorry, on mobile right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

We got no rain here in Waterford only snow snow snow !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anything said for saying a mass for scenes like this next week? :D

God when ya look back on it now.. will we ever see the likes again? :(

B7-A7522-A-BC1-F-4670-958-A-8549-EAC10-AA8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

pad199207 wrote: »

When and where was that taken?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think an exorcism performed on the Atlantic would be better than a mass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

This was Kildare Storm Emma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I seem to recall scenes like those in the likes of Kildare during Storm Emma. I think someone shared an photo at the time of Kildare village and the snow was off the charts, you could hardly see cars that were parked there. I think around Sallins was like that too. Even some parts of West Dublin had massive amounts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lads we really, really, need to change the thread title. Tomorrow is Friday 5 February - there is no cold spell starting tomorrow......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yes, if a mod could change it Sunday I'd appreciate it

You are the thread starter, you should be able to change it yourself, use "go advanced" edit and change the title

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

God when ya look back on it now.. will we ever see the likes again? :(

Great photo. Is that Naas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

2nd of March 2018, Naas.
    Fingers and toes crossed for even a quarter of this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I seem to recall scenes like those in the likes of Kildare during Storm Emma. I think someone shared an photo at the time of Kildare village and the snow was off the charts, you could hardly see cars that were parked there. I think around Sallins was like that too. Even some parts of West Dublin had massive amounts

It wasn't even West Dublin. I know the south of Dublin was absolutely pelted with snow. I can recall so well the events and I even have them recorded!
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmJhfmPyyxM&ab_channel=Vxlks) as seen here...

One of the biggest memories was MET EIREANN forecasting Orange Level warning for the GDA area on the night of the 27th. Roughly 7cm was forecast, but by about 4am I was counting about 10-12cm! and that was only day 1. :D

Once Thursday afternoon hit, we were put under a constant streamer for hours on end and eventually that night Storm Emma started to just about reach us with Ice pellets. Come Friday it was fat flakes and blizzard conditions by evening... by middle part of Friday I couldn't walk far outside my house before the snow was so deep that I got too tired to walk in it (and I was only 15 at the time!) To think... I got about 50cm in my locality due to being in a valley, if it was January I would've experienced scenes like in NYC the past week where the door is blocked by snow since it wouldn't melt... :eek:

Picture of my Garden there on March 3rd at about 9am.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement