Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Only took one photo during the 2018 even and that was when the pre-Emma showers started rolling in from the midlands. Took this as one of those dust showers was passing over. Before I took this pic the vis was even lower and it nearly impossible to see the end of the (very small) back garden:

IcTMSZt.png

New Moon

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Yes but over Sunday,Monday ,Tuesday and Wednesday its expecting next to nothing to have accumulated. That's what the chart I supplied shows.

Yes but tonights run,missing I suppose a Thursday snow event
    According to the ecmw 12 z last Thursday we are under an easterly now
    We are not
    Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cork2021

If I remember rightly. The storm Emma build up was something similar to this.
    It ramped up from the Sunday and red warning issued on the Wednesday... still loads of time for upgrades!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I edited this pic for ourselves.
    Simple explanation for lake/sea effect snow.

20210204-195444.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Gonzo wrote: »
    This cold spell has always looked like a 2 to 4 day event depending on what model you look at. Sunday to Tuesday is still looking good. There is alot of uncertainty from Tuesday night onwards. Nobody was guaranteeing this cold spell to last into Friday. The models are upgrading and downgrading on a daily basis and more changes still to come over the next few days in relation to what happens throughout next week.
    You're swift to write it off, when we're still several days away from the cold spell proper. I wouldn't be advertising your disappointment just yet, long way to go and there is plenty of scope for change. I live in west Munster which isn't exactly ground zero, however I haven't been this optimistic about a serious snowfall in years.

I wouldn't even bother responding. Poster does this every time there's a cold spell forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

And of course the nonsense has started already on the radio already.
    Mention in the news report of Met Éireann saying a possibility of snow next week followed by Cathal nolan talking about an event on par with Emma in 2018.
    The duration of this spell is getting shorter as per each run. The latest talk on the technical thread has a swift return to mild muck by Wednesday. So if you are lucky enough to get some snow on Monday or Tuesday, you'll have 1 or 2 days maximum to enjoy it.

This is very disappointing. What was promising to be a fairly potent cold period looks like a brief spell of cold weather with some snow for some in the east. I'm annoyed that I allowed myself to get excited.

You just can't help yourself can you.
    What happened to your "cool heads needed" earlier?
    As Gonzo, Kermit and co said from the start take what the charts are showing in the middle of next week with a pinch of salt for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For Cork,

Snow showers should start piling in from Sunday night with lying snow likely from Monday to Thursday morning.
    Tuesday looks the sweet spot for showers to be at their most potent!!
    A lot will be coastal so Cork city should do well but further inland probably won't (similar to 2018)

It isn't as potent as '18 but does come close.
    Uppers are -6 to -8 then they were -8 to -12 going by memory. Also Storm Emma attacked from a much better angle which isn't showing on any charts for Thursday.

Folks the fact that this is the fourth major event since 2009 is extraordinary! Can anyone remember the 90s we hardly saw a flake for 12 to 15 years!

Will the end of next week upgrade? I really hope so because most proper wintry spells last for about 7 to 10 days and a 3 day event would be a bit disappointing.

And no Munsterlegend you won't see snow lol (joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Croohur1

I know it's been mentioned before, but what sort of fetch is needed at a minimum for streamers to occur in the Irish Sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

sparrowcar wrote: »
    I edited this pic for ourselves.
    Simple explanation for lake/sea effect snow.

20210204-195444.jpg

Somebody explained it well before, i can't. but it is like going to the toilet outside when its cold and the steam comes from it. think of the irish sea without the yellow being into it as a big outdoor toilet. its huge and creates water vapor rising as the sea is warmer than the air above. winds coming towards the east coast can leave a good snowfall. we probably get a sprinkling a poolbeg waste water. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

For Cork,

Snow showers should start piling in from Sunday night with lying snow likely from Monday to Thursday morning.
    Tuesday looks the sweet spot for showers to be at their most potent!!
    A lot will be coastal so Cork city should do well but further inland probably won't (similar to 2018)

It isn't as potent as '18 but does come close.
    Uppers are -6 to -8 then they were -8 to -12 going by memory. Also Storm Emma attacked from a much better angle which isn't showing on any charts for Thursday.

Folks the fact that this is the fourth major event since 2009 is extraordinary! Can anyone remember the 90s we hardly saw a flake for 12 to 15 years!

Will the end of next week upgrade? I really hope so because most proper wintry spells last for about 7 to 10 days and a 3 day event would be a bit disappointing.

And no Munsterlegend you won't see snow lol (joking)

Wednesday/Thursday was my big hope but gone a bit pear shaped this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Rougies

Croohur1 wrote: »
    I know it's been mentioned before, but what sort of fetch is needed at a minimum for streamers to occur in the Irish Sea?

Around 100 km is considered the minimum, but you'd only get light showers/flurries even in ideal conditions. Around 150 km is needed for anything decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Croohur1

Rougies wrote: »
    Around 100 km is considered the minimum, but you'd only get light showers/flurries even in ideal conditions. Around 150 km is needed for anything decent.

Wouldn't that mean that much of Dublin City and Wicklow would get very little snow streamers because of Anglesey and North West Wales/Snowdonia if this is a direct Easterly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Wednesday/Thursday was my big hope but gone a bit pear shaped this evening.
    Ya you will surely see some showers making it though from the coast.Should be similar to '18 if you did okay then (barring Emma itself which won't happen)
    The Southeasterly element to the wind makes me think Cork could do very well maybe even better than Dublin
    18z rolling soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Wouldn't that mean that much of Dublin City and Wicklow would get very little snow streamers because of Anglesey and North West Wales/Snowdonia if this is a direct Easterly?

Yep. Thats why we need north east winds.

Wouldn't that mean that much of Dublin City and Wicklow would get very little snow streamers because of Anglesey and North West Wales if this is a direct Easterly?

Yep! The wind direction will usually change around a bit though, it doesn't take much of a shift towards ENE to bring the whole of Dublin into play. Wicklow does tend to struggle with the Anglesey shadow quite often.

Easterly is fine for Dublin,fetch is over 100kms
    Wickliw head to cahore,they're dry because there's not enough fetch to wales

60 actually
    100 for decent
    150 fetch would be epic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ya you will surely see some showers making it though from the coast.Should be similar to '18 if you did okay then (barring Emma itself which won't happen)
    The Southeasterly element to the wind makes me think Cork could do very well maybe even better than Dublin
    18z rolling soon

Had no snow where I was until Emma arrived in 2018. From city down the coast should do well from streamers alright. Anyway a lot can happen/change in the next 7/8 days.

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Easterly is fine for Dublin,fetch is over 100kms
    Wickliw head to cahore,they're dry because there's not enough fetch to wales

Direct easterly is fine for north county Dublin only, from Malahide/Swords north. The rest of Dublin would be under the Anglesey shadow. It's almost bang on 100k from Dublin port to Holyhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Scrabbel

60 actually
    100 for decent
    150 fetch would be epic

Interesting! Dublin is 120 from IoM and 100 from Anglesey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Isle of Man would beg to differ. Its 150km away from Bray and my Nemesis :D

Only a NNE with 190km between me and Scotland or an ENE with 220km between me and Morecambe Bay/Blackpool delivers for Bray.

150km IOM doesn't, 100km Angelsey doesn't and I'm not sure I've ever had a -8+ Upper from the SE originating in 160km distant Cardigan Bay in SW Wales.

60 actually
    100 for decent
    150 fetch would be epic

I disagree both from experience and from anything I've read on the subject.

Direct easterly is fine for north county Dublin only, from Malahide/Swords north. The rest of Dublin would be under the Anglesey shadow. It's almost bang on 100k from Dublin port to Holyhead.

But Docarch is in South Dublin and had plenty snow in South Dublin in February 2018 in that direct easterly
    I've lived there too and experienced the same

But Docarch is in South Dublin and had plenty snow in South Dublin in February 2018 in that direct easterly

I'm in the same postcode as Docarch. I can't remember the specifics of the streamers, but anything that fell here was probably from more of a ENE direction than direct E.

Storm Emma doesn't count because it was a frontal event.

I'd wager it was slightly north of Easterly originating in Liverpool with the Northern Tip of Anglesey not ruining the show too much....or a due Easterly Streamer that fanned out by the time it hit the East Coast and caught SOCODU at the southern edge of the Fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UK Met map for Monday:

J6xU0bx.png

And shows a good example of why you don't 'follow the isobars back' to see where the source of the airmass is coming from, as social media amateur forecasters often like to tell us. If that was the case, then the air mass over us on Monday will have come via eastern Europe from the Med, which in turn originated in the Atlantic.

New Moon

Well I'll disagree with your disagreement, I'm not going to have a row about it

Fair enough. I've probably scrutinized every single frame of the radar in Irish Sea snow events for about 12 years now and never saw more than a flurry of lake effect snow forming below 100k of fetch. Everything I can find online says 80k or 100k as minimum in ideal conditions.

We'll leave it at that, lets see what happens next week.

If AuntySnow in Arklow was correct that 100km was needed for decent snow and 150km was needed for epic snow, then he would have nothing to fear from an IOM Shadow or Angelsey Shadow, them being 160km and 100km distant respectively from him in Arklow...

...Yet he fears those Shadows as much as me in Bray 40km to his North

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I remember in 2009 the snow missed me here in Lusk - I literally drove up the road towards Swords and there was snow, even more then further into Dublin. Thankfully we made up for it in 2010 and 2018. Must have been in the Isle of Man shadow in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Of course, an important factor is tge contrast between the sea temperature and the air temperature. An ideal scenario is very cold airstream travelling over the sea in early winter. Sea temps are higher so the high contrast between the sea and air will generate more powerful convection, though it's not regularly that you'll sea an airflow cold enough to bring snow. Late November 2010 was one example with the relatively warm seas at that time of year producing heavy snowfall.

At this time of year, it's a little trickier to generate convection in the Irish Sea as the sea is now close to its coldest. Obviously, still a real possibility but I'm not sure if this airflow will be quite cold enough. We'll have to wait and see. Of course, little fronts can easily spring up at short notice. If so, you're not entirely dependent on convection and then it's a different ball game. In a very good way if you like snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement