Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Poor enough forecasts from Met Eireann this evening.
    Not even a mention of snow risk along the South Coast.
    Temps of 3C look very optimistic to me though I guess under sunshine in the West maybe..

Calibos wrote: »

...Yet he fears those Shadows as much as me in Bray 40km to his North
    We can literally see Wales in good visibility
    Not enough water at all
    I've no fear of the Isle of man here as regards fetch at all,that's probably more NNE from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

The Brits will be buried in drifts while we look out at the greenery. That's the way I remember it in the 80s. When we got easterlies it needed really deep cold to make it here. Like 82 and 87. But most times we only got a glimpse.

Temps of 3C look very optimistic to me though I guess under sunshine in the West maybe..

I don't think that's fair
    Those forecasts are time limited
    They have to get the next 48hrs in,in detail and by the time that's done there's only 30 seconds for an overview of the outlook
    They'll mention it inside 48hrs and will also be more detailed about the temps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can definitely sense that the spirits are lower this evening and rightly so. Yeah it’s all good to see the snow start to fall and accumulate it really is, but when you know it’s all going to be gone in a day or two from the Atlantic pushing in it’s kind of heartbreaking.

Really hoping for further upgraded but I’m not holding out for much from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Just a break from the relentless rain and grey is all I’m hoping for. The place is like a quagmire. Can’t even get out for a decent walk without your wellies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

pad199207 wrote: »
    Can definitely sense that the spirits are lower this evening and rightly so. Yeah it’s all good to see the snow start to fall and accumulate it really is, but when you know it’s all going to be gone in a day or two from the Atlantic pushing in it’s kind of heartbreaking.

Really hoping for further upgraded but I’m not holding out for much from now on.

Haven't looked at the charts this evening, is the Atlantic a certainty to come piling in on Thurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Haven't looked at the charts this evening, is the Atlantic a certainty to come piling in on Thurs?

Well when the ECM and the GFS are starting to agree it’s a hard thing to break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

East Counties affected by IOM or Wales Shadow.

Louth - 129,000
    Meath - 195,000
    Dublin - 1,345,000
    Kildare - 222,000
    Wicklow - 142,000
    Wexford - 149,000

2,182,000 People

ie. Nearly half the entire population of the Country

It's still a tiny part of the country. Doesn't matter how many people live there, and not really sure how more people in a place makes the individual experience of anything that occurs in it more profound.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

East Counties affected by IOM or Wales Shadow.

Louth - 129,000
    Meath - 195,000
    Dublin - 1,345,000
    Kildare - 222,000
    Wicklow - 142,000
    Wexford - 149,000

2,182,000 People

ie. Nearly half the entire population of the Country

D15 right on the Meath border and we got a good bit of snow 2018, albeit from a frontal Emma mostly but i remember relentless streamers and one stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Inmate2020

Reading so much about Iom shadows etc . It’s pot luck . We got plastered in Bray 2018/2010 . 5 miles down the road nothing . It’s the luck of the draw . If a cloud is overhead and dumps snow , happy days - the same cloud may not dump down the road . So cross the fingers hope for the best ❄️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If it is to snow in east Leinster what day is it expected? Trying to figure out whether to stock up when shopping tomorrow. And how many days is this cold front expected to last

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

mcburns07 wrote: »

In a word, no. Maybe 70/30 in favour of that outcome. But if we have the aforesaid 2 or 3 days of lying snow by then, how bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It's still a tiny part of the country. Doesn't matter how many people live there, and not really sure how more people in a place makes the individual experience of anything that occurs in it more profound.

Hardly tiny. And you could add parts of Co. Waterford, Co. Kilkenny, Co. Carlow, and even Co. Laois and Co. Offaly who will see snow from showers originating in tge Irish Sea if conditions are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

You seemed to be expressing consternation about such a big deal made about IOM shadow for such a tiny part of the country implying you don't understand why so many of us fret about it.....its because there are so many of us in the aforementioned counties that can be affected by it. ie. 2.2 million of us. ie if nearly 50% of the posters on this forum are from those Eastern counties theres bound to be a lot of people worried about Wind direction and the IOM Shadow and posting about. So why are you surprised its talked about so much. The fact that it is only about 20% of the land area of the country is neither here nor there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

derekon wrote: »
    Always the bridesmaid, never the bride! Your enthusiasm is infectious. It hasn’t even started and you’ve written it off!

D

I'm not writing off that somewhere will see some snowfall. But for every ten easterly blasts in winter we only get something 2 or 3 times because of our westerly position. Simple facts. When it works, it's great. Maybe we will get something over the three day window.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

count yourself lucky if you see snow there are many in the west which will see none early next week. The people in the west, northwest and north are well use to snow only lasting a day or two. Long way between now and the weekend and much can change. Could be worse with us not seen any sort of set up like this over the winter at all. As for Met Éireann don't expect any big forecast updates from them until the weekend when we will see the first of the snow/ice warnings and low temperature warnings most likely issued on Sunday with a advisory possibly issued by Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

You seemed to be expressing consternation about such a big deal made about IOM shadow for such a tiny part of the country implying you don't understand why so many of us fret about it.....its because there are so many of us in the aforementioned counties that can be affected by it. ie. 2.2 million of us. ie if nearly 50% of the posters on this forum are from those Eastern counties theres bound to be a lot of people worried about Wind direction and the IOM Shadow and posting about. So why are you surprised its talked about so much. The fact that is 15% of the land area of the country is neither here nor there.

Can I start talking about the 'Ireland shadow' then? Fellow westerners, jump in and let's make this a thing!

In all seriousness, I doubt even 0.01% of that 2 mil plus population in the east gives a flying .... about the 'IoM shadow'.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Freezing levels are 200-300 metres each day. So it will vary on wind strength and cloud cover.

With the cold spell about a week or two ago, I had a few days of 2c highs under sunshine and -6c hPa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Can I start talking about the 'Ireland shadow' then? Fellow westerners, jump in and let's make this a thing!

In all seriousness, I doubt even 0.01% of that 2 mil plus population in the east gives a flying .... about the 'IoM shadow'.

I have the Connemara Mountains shadow to deal with from a North westerly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Has there been a downgrade in the forecast for snow next Tue/Wed/Thur? I checked Met.ie and yr.no earlier, and both were showing the same, with a fair bit of snow across the 3 days. Now both are showing pretty much nothing, other than cloud/rain, maybe a bit of sleet. Am in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

GFS 18z upgrade out to +126.

18z

gfs-1-126_lnh4.png

12z equivalent.

gfs-1-132_gan2.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I still think we could have a week of cold weather I.e <3c highs.

Don’t see the cold breaking up that quickly considering how far into the Atlantic it spreads

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mod Note: most of the posts over the past few hours have nothing to do with this cold spell. Posts relating to bread, covid, random posts, locations etc removed. Nobody wants to read pages of random posts that are not helpful in any way to the topic. Only post if it is in relation to the upcoming cold spell with helpful information and model watching/data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

18z another pigs ear for frontal snow in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,870 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't tell those Cork lads

iconeu_uk1-1-120-0.png?04-22

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

the 18z is an upgrade of sorts. It's just really a matter of how it'll turn out on the day and lots can change in the mean time, seeing the differences of 12z/18z there show this. Better not to get too wrapped up on all runs for now I guess. 18z's low was vastly different to the 12z being more westward although mild gets in at the end, but who knows really.

Lots to change... onto tomorrow's runs! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Don't tell those Cork lads

iconeu_uk1-1-120-0.png?04-22

Happy emoji!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

You are just being painfully literal to win an argument at this stage.

Of course I don't think any measureable fraction of that 2.2 million are worrying about the IOM Shadow. However that 20% land area of the Country holds nearly 50% of the population at 2.2 million people. Now if we assume that the boards Weather forums 100 most regular posters are split along the same population distribution lines then it means nearly 50 of the top 100 posters would be from those counties affected and thus interested in the IOM Shadow.

Hence.....is it any wonder so many of us regulars here talk about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Sure half the craic in a potential snowmegeddon is the chase and people who normally never go near the weather forum turning up and giving their tuppence worth.

I agree bread joke has been done to death :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement