Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Spring blossoms next weekend :P

gem-0-204.png?12

A Spanish Plume :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

gem-0-204.png?12

A valentines day massacre!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

A Spanish Plume :P

Change thread to 'Potential Barbeque build up thread'....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Change thread to 'Potential Barbeque build up thread'....

Our weather in Ireland in very bipolar, we can have 4 seasons in 1 day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Advisory issued by Met.ie but nothing exceptional expected other than take care, wrap up. There isn't any major snow event expected, up to Wednesday next.

"Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will be very cold with temperatures in low single figures by day and with sharp or severe frosts and icy patches at night.

Showers of sleet or snow at times in eastern counties from Sunday evening onwards.

Hazardous conditions on roads and paths.

Valid: 06:03 Sunday 07/02/2021 to 18:00 Wednesday 10/02/2021

Issued: 13:00 Friday 05/02/2021"

Again just so people have the facts. Above is the actual advisory issued by ME. The above post, intentionally or not, is a misrepresentation of the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

gem-0-204.png?12

Not surprising to see this unfortunately, especially with a downgrade of what Gerry Murphy said yesterday about "significant accumulations" of snow to now an advisory of "light dusting" and "wintry showers" with no mention of accumulation. Snow is so rare for us in Dublin that events like BFTE are very much extreme outliers. It's the hope that kills you.

Reversal wrote: »
    Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will be very cold with temperatures in low single figures by day and with sharp or severe frosts and icy patches at night.

Showers of sleet or snow at times in eastern counties from Sunday evening onwards.

Again just so people have the facts. Above is the actual advisory issued by ME. The above post, intentionally or not, is a misrepresentation of the facts.

Ermm I disagree. This is nothing more than precautionary advice. And that's what I said, there is no threat of a major winter snow event. Which is what you want, but unfortunately not what your getting.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If it did end up a SE flow, might not be the absolute end of the world (for you at least). With the right conditions, and a SE flow, in the past I have seen streamers develop in Cardigan Bay and hit south Dublin/north Wicklow.

117kms to St David's head due SE from Arklow, I saw heavy enough snow showers from that direction towards the end of the jan 2010 spell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Ermm I disagree. This is nothing more than precautionary advice. And that's what I said, there is no threat of a major winter snow event. Which is what you want, but unfortunately not what your getting.

I was guilty, like others of getting ahead of myself with the news quotes from Gerry Murphy yesterday but unfortunately I agree with this post that the advisory doesn't mention accumulations or potential for upgrades.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/met-%C3%A9ireann-issues-warning-for-snow-and-sub-zero-temperatures-next-week-1.4476963

Important to remember we are focused on two things - the snow showers Sunday night to Wednesday evening and the potential (probably temporary) snow event Thursday.

Neither are sorted yet.

Still lots to look out for.

:cool:

• Advertisement

Important to remember we are focused on two things - the snow showers Sunday night to Wednesday evening and the potential (probably temporary) snow event Thursday.

Neither are sorted yet.

Perfectly reasonable summation there. Let's hope for a bit more than we think we might get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Neither are sorted yet.

And deals on snow shovels.

AuntySnow wrote: »
    117kms to St David's head due SE from Arklow, I saw heavy enough snow showers from that direction towards the end of the jan 2010 spell

Not southeasterly but illustrates it is a possible alternative all the same for some

iconeu_uk1-1-120-0.png?05-16

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

It doesn't matter what I want. But you are extrapolating information from that advisory that just isn't there.

Sure a beast or storm Emma it isn't. But certainly scope for 10-15cm of snow in eastern counties over a few days which is a one in 5 year event in this country Tbh, so not to be sniffed at. There is nothing in that advisory to suggest that won't happen, or that it will.

Again it doesn't matter what anyone wants. What I did want, was to post the actual advisory so people could read it for themselves as your post was a clear case of misrepresentation.

It doesn't matter what I want. But you are extrapolating information from that advisory that just isn't there.

Sure a beast or storm Emma it isn't. But certainly scope for 10-15cm of snow in eastern counties over a few days which is a one in 5 year event in this country Tbh, so not to be sniffed at. There is nothing in that advisory to suggest that won't happen, or that it will.

Again it doesn't matter what anyone wants. What I did want, was to post the actual advisory so people could read it for themselves as your post was a clear case of misrepresentation.

The advisory is a heads up. Simple as. Warnings, if needed, will be issued nearer to any event. Nothing I said was a misrepresentation of anything. People can go to Met Eireann and read the thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Gerry Murphy saying light dustings

I remember 2010 the day prior to the big snow we had,he said similar :D

The Gem delays Thursdays breakdown by 12 hours,leading to a lot of Snow spreading up the country Thursday evening
    Its usually not far off the Ecm which we'll see soon
    This is the France view,but just look at the snowstorm painted over Ireland

gemfr-2-150.png?12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've never wished for snow so badly as I do right now. Even cold frosty weather which it seems we are more likely to get here in the west. I'm sick of this lockdown with the constant rain which makes it so much worse.

Going by met eireann and a few other apps and models looks like Dublin could be getting 15-cm 20cm even to lower levels and probably 40cm on hills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I would defo take 15-20cm of snow. Bring it on
    Dazler97 wrote: »
    Going by met eireann and a few other apps and models looks like Dublin could be getting 15-cm 20cm even to lower levels and probably 40cm on hills

• Advertisement

I would defo take 15-20cm of snow. Bring it on

Well night time temperatures will drop to - 4 by night and 1c by day for dublin. I used to live in tallaght so for this reason I miss it, I live in Carrick on Shannon now and we've had plenty of snow so far thanks to the northwesterlys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Where have Met Éireann used or described a "major snow event" in that alert???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

But ME have said nothing about accumulations yet. As Humberto has said, they've issued an advisory, a heads up. It's too early to be making forecasts of 10 to 15cm of snow. I would love to see it and it may happen but ME are being cautious and warning about snow showers without saying how much. Let's give it another day or two before we start putting numbers on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dazler97 wrote: »

I live about five minutes from the Hellfire Club normally. Came down to my family home in Templeogue for lockdown but I'm sorely tempted to move back home this weekend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I was having a look back at charts from the Beast. I'm in the South East. While I understand all the concern about wind direction, we managed to get a couple of inches of snow here on an easterly before the main event with Emma on the Thursday. In fact the first snow showers arrived here in the Tuesday evening and continued through Wednesday. Straight east shouldn't be ideal for me yet it delivered in 2018. More knowledgeable heads may have an explanation for it but to my mind, it goes to show how unpredictable forecasting rainfall/snowfall can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

AllForIt wrote: »
    I've never wished for snow so badly as I do right now. Even cold frosty weather which it seems we are more likely to get here in the west. I'm sick of this lockdown with the constant rain which makes it so much worse.

I hear you Brother (or Sister) big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Ecm snow accumulation at T120

North leinster and South East Ulster with a dusting.

Greatest depth 0.8 inch north leinster. 2cm

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth-in/20210210-1200z.html

All that was ever guaranteed was the 3-4 day cold and snow event which is still happening.

Ecm is a cracker in my opinion
    Very close to the Gem
    -11 850's over munster and south leinster as late as wenesday
    Further day of the breakdown and a snowier one for many

• Advertisement

The advisory is a heads up. Simple as. Warnings, if needed, will be issued nearer to any event. Nothing I said was a misrepresentation of anything. People can go to Met Eireann and read the thing anyway.

It clearly says “significant” snow for the East. That whole forecast for the East is pretty solid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement