Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What the ECMWF is showing this morning for snow shower potential for between Sunday evening and Wednesday evening:

IQC2qND.gif

East (and north) coast still looking prime, with still a potential for a few light flurries to make through to the west.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I live in Swords and I am long time follower of this forum and recently this thread because the white stuff is coming. However from a very lay person who knows zero about weather but why does the likes of the crappy iPhone weather app never correlate with these events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

That chart looks like a bit of a nothing burger for a lot of the country, with dustings here and there, let’s see, I’m not expecting much out of this except cold, time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

I know this was never expected to be a beast from the east scenario but would I be right in saying the hopes for any meaningful snow are out the window at this stage? From what I'm reading on here it appears we are solely relying on streamers from the Irish sea which appear minimal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Chong wrote: »
    I live in Swords and I am long time follower of this forum and recently this thread because the white stuff is coming. However from a very lay person who knows zero about weather but why does the likes of the crappy iPhone weather app never correlate with these events.

Yes I don't get it, met.ie, rte, neither have any snow forecast now for Dublin over the next week. Why is everyone freaking out in here?
    It's gas though, London, Holland etc, gonna get smashed with snow by the looks of things. It's just like the heatwaves in the summer, we get nada.

• Advertisement

Yes I don't get it, met.ie, rte, neither have any snow forecast now for Dublin over the next week. Why is everyone freaking out in here?
    It's gas though, London, Holland etc, gonna get smashed with snow by the looks of things. It's just like the heatwaves in the summer, we get nada.

Despite that the national outlook from met.ie is fairly promising but if you knew nothing about weather you would be none the wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

It's gas though, London,Holland etc, gonna get smashed with snow by the looks of things. It's just like the heatwaves in the summer, we get nada.

I guess a few outsiders must've strayed into the Dublin forum

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

If you are looking for an ENE you would want to see that on the forecasts from this eve.

dmc17 wrote: »
    I guess a few outsiders must've strayed into the Dublin forum

From reading the thread I thought the potential snow was mainly going to hit the east, but met and rte are showing no snow for Dublin

From reading the thread I thought the potential snow was mainly going to hit the east, but met and rte are showing no snow for Dublin

Yeah that’s my point why are the likes of Met.ie not kicking and screaming about a snow event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

The Irish examiner is suggesting that “the beast from the east 2.0” is a “siberian powerhouse” set to wreck the country next week. Yes all the weather apps are suggesting “meh, might be cold..”

The Irish examiner is suggesting that “the beast from the east 2.0” is a “siberian powerhouse” set to wreck the country next week. Yes all the weather apps are suggesting “meh, might be cold..”

Like this is no worse right than we had 2-3 weeks ago , right now that is. I know crap this app is and how fast it can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

*like*

ECU0-120.GIF?06-12

*like*

ECU0-120.GIF?06-12

That’s my point Kermit though ,why do the weather outlets for the non weather folk not broadcast this properly as per these charts from ecm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

That’s my point Kermit though ,why do the weather outlets for the non weather folk not broadcast this properly as per these charts from ecm.

I would keep away from weather reports in the media, go straight to the met forecasts

Obviously come here for the ramps and disappointment !

I would keep away from weather reports in the media, go straight to the met forecasts

Obviously come here for the ramps and disappointment !

Hahahahaha yeah this is my go to place , my wife thinks I am losing the plot when I report back from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

So much negativity yet the cold weather hasn’t even arrived. Have a read of MT’s forecast this morning. That should raise a few smiles.

Hahahahaha yeah this is my go to place , my wife thinks I am losing the plot when I report back from here.

MTs forecast is a good start, then the knowledgeable posters in the technical thread

These chat threads are just for fun and you can drive yourself mad with the crazy highs and lows from some people !

So much negativity yet the cold weather hasn’t even arrived. Have a read of MT’s forecast this morning. That should raise a few smiles.

I don't really care if it snows or not I just find it odd that RTE and met.ie don't have any snow forecast and in here it's a different story

I don't really care if it snows or not I just find it odd that RTE and met.ie don't have any snow forecast and in here it's a different story

And let’s be fair so many times boards.ie nails it.

• Advertisement

That's not correct, read the national forecast on met.ie

And beat on mine they will go for the tame option, very hard to forecast any streamer activity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep did that, it’s not negativity, it’s being realistic. Even MTs forecast says patchwork quilt which is exactly what the “negative” posts are stating. Some places will get snow and a good bit, others will get a dusting and others nothing at all. It’s certainly far from a whiteout for the country. Anyways, I’ll. e very glad to see the back of this winter, I usually love snow, this year nah.

I just read it, he specifically mentioned Cork for an event, I'm trying to keep calm as I know things can change but the excitement is real, I don't feel so embarrassed now about ordering sledges during the week, didn't even mention it to my friends , bring in on now weather gods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

My rough and rather childish looking interpretation of the models this morning.
    Snow showers pretty much guaranteed in most eastern and northern areas during the early part of next week, and less so further west.

s7BRq2J.png

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

People who use these useless automated weather apps are going to be surprised by the wind chill, it's going to be raw.

Speak Now wrote: »
    People who use these useless automated weather apps are going to be surprised by the wind chill, it's going to be raw.

Aye but vast majority of people use these junk apps rather than using these models, or watch Evelyn after the 6.1.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    My rough and rather childish looking interpretation of the models this morning...

finally something I can understand

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    My rough and rather childish looking interpretation of the models this morning.
    Snow showers pretty much guaranteed in most eastern and northern areas during the early part of next week, and less so further west.

s7BRq2J.png

I have a friend in Arnhem, Holland, he's very excited as they're going to get lashed by snow there. The google app has -6c and "Snowstorm" for Arnhem tomorrow, never saw that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not loving the wind direction for here, a straight easterly usually makes me and Calibos sad unless its associated with a front. Dundalk/Drogheda could get an absolute pasting though..
    Heres hoping for a more NE aspect as Monday draws closer.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement