Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I just read it, he specifically mentioned Cork for an event, I'm trying to keep calm as I know things can change but the excitement is real, I don't feel so embarrassed now about ordering sledges during the week, didn't even mention it to my friends , bring in on now weather gods.

Cork is a rather big county but I presume you meant the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    My rough and rather childish looking interpretation of the models this morning.
    Snow showers pretty much guaranteed in most eastern and northern areas during the early part of next week, and less so further west.

s7BRq2J.png

I knew I’d finally work out how to read these weather charts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Yes I don't get it, met.ie, rte, neither have any snow forecast now for Dublin over the next week. Why is everyone freaking out in here?
    It's gas though, London, Holland etc, gonna get smashed with snow by the looks of things. It's just like the heatwaves in the summer, we get nada.

Dublin gets a lot more snow than London without a shadow of a doubt. Dublin will get several cm of snow next week... Just watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

Do we expect to see much shower activity over greater Dublin area? the forecasts seem to differ quite a bit, I suppose it’s all part of the excitement, roll on the snow, snow shovel at the ready like a kid waiting for Christmas 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Dublin gets a lot more snow than London without a shadow of a doubt. Dublin will get several cm of snow next week... Just watch.

So why do BBC report lots of snow in London over the next few days, and none for Dublin?
    I just don't get all this misreporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Can’t speak for Holland but snow in London is very rare, more rare than in Dublin. It’s an absolute myth they get snowy winters. However both London and Dublin are likely to get snow this week. In 2010 and 2018 big snow events, Dublin got far more snow than London did.
    Yes I don't get it, met.ie, rte, neither have any snow forecast now for Dublin over the next week. Why is everyone freaking out in here?
    It's gas though, London, Holland etc, gonna get smashed with snow by the looks of things. It's just like the heatwaves in the summer, we get nada.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

T2Pauly wrote: »
    Do we expect to see much shower activity over greater Dublin area? the forecasts seem to differ quite a bit, I suppose it’s all part of the excitement, roll on the snow, snow shovel at the ready like a kid waiting for Christmas ��

It will all come down to wind direction. If anything north of E = :). If anything south of E = :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Of course on any given week, London might get more but on average Dublin gets more. In summer they certainly get warmer weather but London is woeful if you are a snow lover
    So why do BBC report lots of snow in London over the next few days, and none for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Just read MTs forecast for cork. BEYOND excited!!! Wow.
    showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=394

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Quite eerie out there, out for a run and it feels very odd outside,calm before the storm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It will all come down to wind direction. If anything north of E = :). If anything south of E = :(.

We live in hope! nothing like a good plastering from the east, roll on the lamppost watching

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Quite eerie out there, out for a run and it feels very odd outside,calm before the storm?

yes trying to motivate myself to go too, might be the last run for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Just a 20 minute stride to waken up and clear the head,had young fella with me..he wanted to go on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Snow showers pretty much guaranteed in most eastern and northern areas during the early part of next week, and less so further west.

s7BRq2J.png

People in Cork right now

7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The wind direction looks to be sub optimal for much of Dublin. If it doesn't go more ENE then you're looking at the main action being from north county Dublin and further north along the east coast (and other places but you are interested in Dublin).

Met Eireann don't deal with shadows or fetch issues in my experience, no less at this range. They'd be more general with just listing the east coast or full counties.

The models still show very little precip. for anywhere in Ireland next week, which is usually the case, they tend to under predict for Ireland when it comes to convection and streamers. The BBC will use said models for their forecasts hence not much snow showing up for these parts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Just read MTs forecast for cork. BEYOND excited!!! Wow.

Me too! I just hope the snow stays a bit before the thaw :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

BBC don’t forecast for Republic of Ireland, only the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

s7BRq2J.png

How can you have 160% of anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Me too! I just hope the snow stays a bit before the thaw :/

Hope it makes its way inland to me! We still have the sleigh since 2018 hopefully we can use it down the hills.

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Not loving the wind direction for here, a straight easterly usually makes me and Calibos sad unless its associated with a front. Dundalk/Drogheda could get an absolute pasting though..
    Heres hoping for a more NE aspect as Monday draws closer.

It seems to be something different every day in what the models predict doesn't it
    Gonzo will be happy.
    Feb 91 down was dry in Arklow with just flurries all week, then of a Friday morning wind went northeast and it was a train of snow showers for 2 days dropping 8 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Gonzo will be happy

He's Celbridge yes??

BBC don’t forecast for Republic of Ireland, only the North.

It does on their website.
    Anyway I'll just wait and see what happens, nothing seems to be clear yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

As we approach T0 patients is required!

My take on it is that there'll be some light flurries from tomorrow afternoon into the east.

Flurries on Monday with a few streamers setting up.

Best Streamer action Tuesday-Wednesday, where they set up is still up for grabs but between Balbriggan and Dundalk looks the best slot but anywhere in the east and southeast will still get a few snow showers im sure.

He's Celbridge yes??

Dunshaughlin
    A fair bit north of there

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin
    A fair bit north of there

Ah grand, he sure will so. Being only a few kms away I'm hoping to get in on the action too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I don't see where MT is getting localised accumulations of 10 to 15 cm of snow on Monday with 30cm accumulating in places by Tuesday.

I will get torn to shreds for saying this but I fear people will be severely disappointed if they're expecting these totals and don't temper their expectations.

At present a yellow snow warning looks likely. Certainly no hint of a red warning as those totals would indicate.

As we approach T0 patients is required!

My take on it is that there'll be some light flurries from tomorrow afternoon into the east.

Flurries on Monday with a few streamers setting up.

Best Streamer action Tuesday-Wednesday, where they set up is still up for grabs but between Balbriggan and Dundalk looks the best slot but anywhere in the east and southeast will still get a few snow showers im sure.

Remember Xmas eve 2010
    Glasnevin expected Dublin to be dry
    It snowed buckets and the airport shut again
    I know the technology has improved a bit in 11 years but that forecast for dry was wrong within 12 hours and the airport was closed again on Xmas eve
    Harmonie within 24/48 hrs our friend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,329 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think people who have visions of 2018 or 2010 in their head might need to check the excitement a wee bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ICON showing potential for the Cardigan Bay shower to set up for Costa del Arklow

iconeu_uk1-1-68-0.png?06-10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement