Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I don't get the animosity shown towards Tyrone earlier. He made a valid point in my opinion and didn't make it in a bad way. Maybe a few sore heads on this Saturday morning.

My aunt lives up on Mount Oriel and it is a prime spot. From her front window there's a perfect view of the flat land descending down to the sea near Anagassan and Clogherhead. With such flat ground rising to her high terrain, an easterly or northeasterly flow would bring her the goods. Not much else in the way of high ground around that area, though, unless you look at the Cooley mountains.

An interesting week ahead.

East Cavan could be a sweet spot with high ground 30kms inland from Louth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Tbh I'm better at remembering the overall map and colour of it, when comparing to previous events that I remember the charts of. I didn't pay attention to the scale used, more that upper wind speed was rather higher than past events that brought a lot of snow.

The devil's always in the detail!

As regards Cork, I remember the synoptics were kinda similar for there as pre-Storm Emma in 2018. The reports from Kinsale of 30-50 cm dumpings there makes me thing that low level modification won't be that big a deal for there and it's gonna be simply too cold even with the coastal influence to stop the snow from affecting the south coast. I hear what you're saying about 700 hPa temperatures being on the weaker side though.

I think 850 temperatures were several degrees colder then than this week and we didn't have this sloppy Joe Low directly before it. My main point is about boundary layer-modification with such a long fetch with slightly warmer upper temperatures. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes as they move across the country but not along east coast where they hit first, that’s the point
    Tyrone212 wrote: »
    They lose intensity quickly overland and die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Makes sense
    This is different to 2010 though
    Winds are very strong so less time to pick up moisture for streamers
    Winds lower north of Dublin =better

In 2010 there was little or no wind
    One shower train on the 23rd dropped the guts of a foot on Arklow alone
    It affected gorey to just north of Arklow (about Jack whites to the end of what used be the Gorey bypass)
    It had a curl and was an unforecasted shallow low
    It just sat there, then rapidly dried out inland
    I actually have video of it here somewhere
    There was thunder during it that put out the power again
    The thunder was frequent in those 2010 streamers

Ahh yes, I cannot remember what date that was, I was only 8 years old at the time! I think it must've been the 22nd or possibly earlier? I remember the thundersnow quite well, one time was in the afternoon as I was sledding whilst the other one was when I was watching Willy Wonka and the big clap of thunder happened and my sisters and their friends all started screaming and ran back into the cul-de-sac in quite a shock :D

I loved the snow, but I really think the Thundersnow really enlightened my passion for weather, and then the 2011 Flooding on October 24th when Dundrum Shopping Centre was flooded beyond belief! :D

I have videos of 2010 but I believe they're on an old janky camera I can't find :pac: I do have many recordings from March 2013 onwards though! I will be also documenting this event, and here's to hope SCD gets some snow at least :D but I think where I live is in a favourable position because I'm still effected by the NCD snow streamer (I think) on Monday night.

Hopefully you get some of the goods in Arklow too, at times they always seem to be the unfortunate ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Thanks for all the post folks, I follow with interest but I'm lost at this stage 😀...Is snow likely for Dubli this week before I either built it up to the kids, or let them down gently 😆

For Dublin, snow showers overnight Sunday with significant accumulation Monday and Tuesday, according to Met Éireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Zogabomb wrote: »
    Yes but look at the constant train out in the Irish Sea, they have to make landfall somewhere.

You said earlier that all we would get is light convective showers on the East Coast and Bone Dry everywhere else, that is as misleading a forecast as someone predicting 30cm of snow, the reality is probably going to be somewhere in between both forecasts :)

Bottom line, by Ireland's standards this week is going to be interesting and it's been a super time for weather fans

Some half truths there, try harder. Ready over it again and you'll find you are wrong.

I gave a summary on this morning ecm and that summary is correct

"Ecm summary
    A few light flurries for areas exposed to an Easterly and bone dry for the rest of the country until a frontal system crosses the country later in the week"

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth-in/20210211-0000z.html

2cm maximum depth on the island at t120.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

TTLF wrote: »
    Ahh yes, I cannot remember what date that was, I was only 8 years old at the time! I think it must've been the 22nd or possibly earlier? I remember the thundersnow quite well, one time was in the afternoon as I was sledding whilst the other one was when I was watching Willy Wonka and the big clap of thunder happened and my sisters and their friends all started screaming and ran back into the cul-de-sac in quite a shock :D

I loved the snow, but I really think the Thundersnow really enlightened my passion for weather, and then the 2011 Flooding on October 24th when Dundrum Shopping Centre was flooded beyond belief! :D

I have videos of 2010 but I believe they're on an old janky camera I can't find :pac: I do have many recordings from March 2013 onwards though! I will be also documenting this event, and here's to hope SCD gets some snow at least :D but I think where I live is in a favourable position because I'm still effected by the NCD snow streamer (I think) on Monday night.

Hopefully you get some of the goods in Arklow too, at times they always seem to be the unfortunate ones...

See my Frowny face I made from the Raintoday Precip map back in 2010. If I made it on the evening of that event and didn't sit on the screenshot for a few days before editing it...then the file properties tell me it was the 21st December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Sorry to keep asking but pleasssee can someone let me know what to expect in Limerick....

You'd want to provide some evidence of how ICON behaves in past scenarios to show this tendency to stop at the coast.

The issue with ICON is that it's showing a lot of convective potential - even in areas that are most affected by being downwind of Wales - yet the showers mostly stop on the coast, while other models show more limited shower activity but they do progress e.g. in North Leinster and south Ulster. The problem is that ICON seems to be getting something wrong and that doesn't help the forecast's credibility.

The other issue with your claim is the very chart from the very model that has this tendency to stop showers at the coast. Right beside it, in Britain, it shows snowfall accumulations up to 100km inland from the coast...

For the sake of sanity, everyone should stop looking at minute details of the model output. Those charts posted show 1-hour precip accumulations, not simulated radar, so rain/sleet/snow can still be falling in areas that show no accumulation. The resolution of the global models is not fine enough to resolve individual showers, but taking a look at the larger parameters and filling in the gaps yourself will always produce a more accurate forecast.

Here is an example. Simulated radar (for what it's worth) shows precip falling in the northeast, yet the 1-hour precip accumulation barely registers anything.

542275.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

highdef wrote: »
    I'm in agreement. Whilst 30cm of lying snow is very unlikely as a result of the snow streamers (the possible frontal event is a different kettle of fish), there is of course the chance depths somewhat approaching it could occur in some localised spots that happen to get stuck in snow trains for lengthy periods of time and are also on high ground. Gaoth Laidir mentioned Mount Oriel (@251m ASL) and going by the current forecast that would be one of the prime spots for greater depths. There are some houses above 220m on that hill and the people living there may well see some very decent snow depths.

Whilst I don't think anywhere will reach 30cm, if your location happens to get stuck in a snow train for a couple of days, it could happen. It's unlikely but as it is plausible, I can't disagree with MTs forecast.
    I'm from that part of the world, and there's literally like 10 houses near the top. You have the much more populated areas nearby e.g. in Collon proper which are at about 120-150 metres asl. From my experience, any extra snow comes from the somewhat cooler conditions at higher altitude making marginal events less marginal there (like the Atlantic "warm front" of early Dec 2010 and not from any orographic lift effects.

With the conditions not being marginal, I'd suspect many places near Drogheda will report 30cm and more by Thursday. But I'll quote myself here if I'm wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

mcburns07 wrote: »
    READ THE FINE DETAILS, READ THEM AND UNDERSTAND THEM!

I got it anyway 😂

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Did they just announce that? Is so happy days
    For Dublin, snow showers overnight Sunday with significant accumulation Monday and Tuesday, according to Met Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Sorry to keep asking but pleasssee can someone let me know what to expect in Limerick....

very little if any thing

one of the counties least likely to be effected by streamers

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

Some half truths there, try harder. Ready over it again and you'll find you are wrong.

I gave a summary on this morning ecm and that summary is correct

"Ecm summary
    A few light flurries for areas exposed to an Easterly and bone dry for the rest of the country until a frontal system crosses the country later in the week"

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth-in/20210211-0000z.html

2cm maximum depth on the island at t120.

Maybe people's response to you is down to your tone, I wasn't having a go at you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

SFA Sun-Wed.

Sorry...

...You might be in Luck from the Frontal Snow event on Thursday though

I'm from that part of the world, and there's literally like 10 houses near the top. You have the much more populated areas nearby e.g. in Collon proper which are at about 120-150 metres asl. From my experience, any extra snow comes from the somewhat cooler conditions at higher altitude making marginal events less marginal there (like the Atlantic "warm front" of early Dec 2010 and not from any orographic lift effects.

With the conditions not being marginal, I'd suspect many places near Drogheda will report 30cm and more by Thursday. But I'll quote myself here if I'm wrong :)

What I was referring to was the streamer accumulations up to Wednesday. It's a different story with the frontal band on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Zogabomb wrote: »
    Maybe people's response to you is down to your tone, I wasn't having a go at you!

You said my forecast was misleading. I pointed out it was a summary of the latest ecm and provided the charts to back up what I said. There is nothing misleading about it. It wasn't a forecast of mine. Its literally what the ecm shows.

For the sake of sanity, everyone should stop looking at minute details of the model output. Those charts posted show 1-hour precip accumulations, not simulated radar, so rain/sleet/snow can still be falling in areas that show no accumulation. The resolution of the global models is not fine enough to resolve individual showers, but taking a look at the larger parameters and filling in the gaps yourself will always produce a more accurate forecast.

Here is an example. Simulated radar (for what it's worth) shows precip falling in the northeast, yet the 1-hour precip accumulation barely registers anything.
    Not sure why you quoted me there - my point is that one snapshot from ICON can't really demonstrate anything specific, especially when it's basically contradictory. I have been looking at charts for 15 years, I do know what an accumulation chart is ;)

The global models as a whole don't show significant accumulations in these shower setups for Ireland, and that's because they're not designed to handle this. HIRLAM and Euro4 are two models that are designed to handle it much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Did they just announce that? Is so happy days

No, not quite. They announced it 2 days ago.

What I was referring to was the streamer accumulations up to Wednesday. It's a different story with the frontal band on Thursday.
    No offense, but "by Thursday" to me means up to but not including all of Thursday. It comes across as a little nitpicky when we're both talking about the same showery potential here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Today is nice.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Most likely snow Thursday or Friday. 5 - 10 cms.

Very uncertain but I hope that helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MOD note

Over 40 posts removed from the last 3 pages , I’ll be like Mike Dean for the rest of the day , lashing out the cards for the constant bickering ! Over an hour of my Saturday wasted on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anyone any idea why ICON changes like this within one frame? Been doing it last few days

iconeu-uk1-1-78-0.png

iconeu-uk1-1-81-0.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

They lose intensity quickly overland and die out.

There'll be a fair breeze though so the showers will likely make very good progress. Depending on the frequency and intensity of the showers, it's quite possible that the showers will make it a good deal of the way inland due to convergence caused by land friction.

During the beast from the east, my location got a couple of days of moderate to heavy snow.... Not showers but literally non stop snow. Snow streamers and showers were arriving on the east coast however as they moved inland they slowed down due to land friction. Different showers and streams altered their trajectory slightly due to local topography and by the time they got to my location, about 40km inland from North Dublin, the showers and streams had basically merged into a persistent area of snow. Despite being relatively far inland, there was lightning from time to time nearby. It was fascinating to watch on radar, as individual showers and snow trains merged as they neared, continuing for a couple of days.

I was lucky and was in a sweet spot. Enfield, only about 5km to my North West as the crow flies, had much less snow which was also more of a showery nature.

Having said, the ingredients for what's to come are not as perfect as 2018 but I would say that a good few of the snow showers will get to 50km inland, some a bit more. I would reckon I will be located a little beyond the sweet spot but in any case, it will be interesting to see.

Not sure why you quoted me there - my point is that one snapshot from ICON can't really demonstrate anything specific, especially when it's basically contradictory. I have been looking at charts for 15 years, I do know what an accumulation chart is ;)

The global models as a whole don't show significant accumulations in these shower setups for Ireland, and that's because they're not designed to handle this. HIRLAM and Euro4 are two models that are designed to handle it much better.

No, I didn't mean you were wrong. I was more backing up what you were saying about the global models. People focus too much on a single frame of a single parameter from a single level. Weather is 3D (even 4D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭finlma

Scobes in tackies.

And no snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Anyone any idea why ICON changes like this within one frame? Been doing it last few days

Moves from 1hr to 3hr intervals at the end of the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

I think that is where the model changes from high to low resolution.

Actually what TTLF makes more sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

So folks... should I be going off to buy a snow shovel this weekend or what?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement