Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Not sure what you’re winking at. I’m the one with a Meteorology degree.
    Was just a friendly suggestion to read what we were talking about - there are weather balloons deployed at Castor Bay not too far from Belfast, but were missing from the source Gaoth Laidir posted. He confirmed that it wasn't just me being blind.

Might want to rein in the tone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Moving this here from FI, didn't realize it was the technical thread :pac:
    I would not get too concerned just yet. The next runs could upgrade streamer activity. Keep in mind also there maybe an element of imbyism creeping into some posts as well. We are not going to get the amounts of snow some places in England will get, but some locations here will have done reasonably well by Wednesday.
    Regarding frontal snow, didn't some places in Dublin do ok a few weeks back?

Mainly NCD/swords/Balbriggan did very well that night with heavy snow, I remember seeing my gf send me videos of it hahaha

Meanwhile SCD did meh, we got snow but it was such a localised event, while it was light/moderate, it didn't stick more than a very miniscule dusting here. But Balbriggan and other places further north were still Winter Wonderlands come Morning. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I hope the front stays away from us. Yes it would be great if it delivered prolonged snow and retreated . But whenever fronts come close it's often too risky and we end back in milder Atlantic air. I've never been a gambler lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

No messing around there:D

Not looking forward to shoveling it in the morning ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not looking forward to shoveling it in the morning ha

Polish friend was saying that legally you have to shovel the footpath in front of your house. What do old people or people unable to do it manage? Pay the local kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Where I'm living in Poland the met institute just issued a red weather warning for heavy snow 60 to 80 cm expected tomorrow .

Bardzo dobrze.

https://meteo.imgw.pl/dyn/?osmet=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

Where I'm living in Poland the met institute just issued a red weather warning for heavy snow 60 to 80 cm expected tomorrow .

We were in Poland during the beast in 2018, with minus 20 temperatures, loved every minute of it, such an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Large single wet snow flakes coming over Sally Gap. Temperature 1 Celsius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We'd have taken this at T60hrs a week ago, let's try and enjoy the next few days!

gfs-1-60.png?12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Great! It should be making its way to me in Naas!

• Advertisement

Mimon wrote: »
    Polish friend was saying that legally you have to shovel the footpath in front of your house. What do old people or people unable to do it manage? Pay the local kids?

Everyone just chips in and helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

You will probably need to be dug out of the sally gap in a few days

red_bairn wrote: »
    Great! It should be making its way to me in Naas!

Approximately 5 to 7 Celsius difference between Sallys and Lower Dublin @45 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Like Delboy going on about Rodney with his GSCE's....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

miserable afternoon here in Meath, some of the showers are fairly heavy and have traces of sleet in the bigger drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Everyone just chips in and helps .

In Ireland you’d have a compensation rush with bad back injuries.

Na pewno jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice dry day in Galway before the cold arrives, got the whole garden tidied up finally. Looking forward to watching this develop over the few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

You'd want to provide some evidence of how ICON behaves in past scenarios to show this tendency to stop at the coast.

No problem. How about right now. Here's the 12z ICON precip chart for now. The frames over a number hours show the precip stopping dead at the coast. Anyone in Dublin, South Meath, Wexford and Kildare can tell you that is not the case.

542298.jpg

Rainfall radar for the same time;
    542299.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

No surprises from the UKMO, nice cold east flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Reversal wrote: »
    No problem. How about right now. Here's the 12z ICON precip chart for now. The frames over a number hours show the precip stopping dead at the coast. Anyone in Dublin, South Meath, Wexford and Kildare can tell you that is not the case.

542298.jpg

Rainfall radar for the same time;
    542299.jpg

You'd need to show the 1-hr precip chart for one hour later (1800 locale), as that will include the rain falling within this hour. Not that it will invalidate your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

In Ireland you’d have a compensation rush with bad back injuries.

In fairness in 2018 everyone came out after a couple of days to clear the roads in my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Serious cold building out East at the end of next week.
    If that drifts our way it really will shut the country!!
    IF....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Reversal wrote: »

I'm in North Kildare, near the Meath border, and there has been heavy to very heavy rain with some hail at times on and off for over two hours now. Lots of standing water at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Serious cold building out East at the end of next week.
    If that drifts our way it really will shut the country!!
    IF....

Think that already happened 11 months ago :o

You'd need to show the 1-hr precip chart for one hour later (1800 locale), as that will include the rain falling within this hour. Not that it will invalidate your point.

You're right

542300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Mimon wrote: »

Snowy countries have people providing this service. My cousins in Canada had their drive cleared in the morning before they had to leave to for work. The same service providers cut grass, cleared leaves etc at other times of the year.

Or you could have residents associations or the like involved.

What model is that?

Hi Lucernarian. Sorry for not getting back to your post sooner. I was out SNOW HUNTING.....lol

The Model or Data comes from Netweather Data and charts.

See Link provided. Its easy to use.

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data

You have an Array of data and models down the left hand side.

Below is Snow precipitation Type.

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

LqbtosI.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

Raining most of the day here in West Wicklow, so heavy at times I discovered my Waterproofs are not waterproof! Steady 5c all day.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    I'm in North Kildare, near the Meath border, and there has been heavy to very heavy rain with some hail at times on and off for over two hours now. Lots of standing water at this stage.

100%, if the same happened later in the week, your area would have quite a good covering of snow, when the ICON showed it dying out as soon as it hit the coast.

We just don't know what's going to happen this week, but the range of possibilities includes some areas getting nice coverings. The point of today is, do not take models at face value when it comes to the Irish sea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement