Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Careful shovelling snow if you have a dodgy ticker or in general if you're a bit older/out of shape. Some good steps to take if you're about to, to lessen the risks.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/protect-your-heart-when-shoveling-snow-201101151153

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

leeash10 wrote: »
    Raining most of the day here in West Wicklow, so heavy at times I discovered my Waterproofs are not waterproof! Steady 5c all day.

I recently bought new waterproofs - they haven't had a proper test run yet though!

Rain has surprisingly missed me here, just a little drizzle at times. Don't have any actual measurements, but temps starting to drop here and wind is NE

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

I'm praying for some white gold here in south west Dublin between Sunday and Wednesday.

It's looking less likely, however we might get lucky in west Dublin if the winds shift a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Careful shovelling snow if you have a dodgy ticker or in general if you're a bit older. Some good steps to take if you're about to, to lessen the risks.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/protect-your-heart-when-shoveling-snow-201101151153

Its information from Harvard Medical School.

Do you need a degree to understand it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭tiegan

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

highdef wrote: »
    I'm in North Kildare, near the Meath border, and there has been heavy to very heavy rain with some hail at times on and off for over two hours now. Lots of standing water at this stage.

I want to go to do the shopping in north Kildare too and can't face it. Cold and wet. Worst combination

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Snowy countries have people providing this service. My cousins in Canada had their drive cleared in the morning before they had to leave to for work. The same service providers cut grass, cleared leaves etc at other times of the year.

Or you could have residents associations or the like involved.

I know in some parts of Canada they have dedicated snow removal every few weeks and you have to move all cars and everything off the street on that particular day otherwise they’ll be towed and you will be fined. They also have high powered steam cleaners that are used to thaw out frozen sewer pipes which can freeze up in really cold conditions in the far north.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

County Waterford the sun is shinning and it feels like a warm spring day , it doesn’t feel a bit cold here yet , not sure what the temperature is but I’m standing out my back garden with just a t shirt and it feels pleasant ! My kids are REALLY hoping for some snow ⛄️ I think they are going to be disappointed 🥴

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GEM shows the front being denied as it tries to push northeast

gemfr-2-126.png?12

gemfr-2-156.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Thewife wrote: »
    County Waterford the sun is shinning and it feels like a warm spring day , it doesn’t feel a bit cold here yet , not sure what the temperature is but I’m standing out my back garden with just a t shirt and it feels pleasant ! My kids are REALLY hoping for some snow ⛄️ I think they are going to be disappointed 🥴

I think there's going to be a lot of dissapointed people.... But still hoping for the best

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That rain/sleet/snow event on Thursday is now far from certain. The Atlantic and it's mild push is in major trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Lads this is my escape route, I don't need arguments or anything, this is my happy place, I know I sound weird but suffering with depression and anxiety it's tough so let's just draw a line and continue on

Gonzo wrote: »
    That rain/sleet/snow event on Thursday is now far from certain. The Atlantic and it's mild push is in major trouble.

What :o omg I was hoping the cold air would hold it back for an extra day or two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Dazler97 wrote: »
    What :o omg I was hoping the cold air would hold it back for an extra day or two

I think that it will make it to Ireland but how far north and east is very uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I think that it will make it to Ireland but how far north and east is very uncertain.

Is there a chance it stalls and creates a perfect situation for a dumping somehere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dazler97 wrote: »

I think he’s implying the opposite. Ie. The cold is going to win handily. Perhaps to the point where it doesnt even make it over Ireland. So while no snow to rain event, maybe no snow event nor rain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Mimon wrote: »
    Is there a chance it stalls and creates a perfect situation for a dumping somehere?

There sure is. Very uncertain to predict until later in the week. We’ll see what the ECM says later.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Mimon wrote: »

Yes. That is what MET were advising on I would imagine. The milder temps that have been predicted for the latter half of the week have been dropping consistently as many believed would be the case. That cold will be hard to shift. Ireland could be the perfect in-between of air masses to produce some disruptive snowfall, if that front does make it over the island. Still more time for further changes but watch the milder temps for Fri and Saturday slowly decrease as we move closer to that time-frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

We are getting the tail end of the little shower activity in Tullamore. Temp around 5 c with a bitting wind.
    Shower activity for us is cold rain/ drizzle at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Shades of a classic unfolding by each model run.

1947 springs to mind. A constant Easterly. Could be a dry cold. Need Lows under cutting. ( The more Knowledgeable Weather Model Historical Experts could fill me in a bit more. )

Atlantic is in bye bye land.

With each run we might see an ungraded BEAST....:) After 48hrs is FI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Shades of a classic unfolding by each model run.

1947 springs to mind. A constant Easterly. Could be a dry cold. Need Lows under cutting. ( The more Knowledgeable Weather Model Historical Experts could fill me in a bit more. )

Atlantic is in bye bye land.

With each run we might see an ungraded BEAST....:) After 48hrs is FI.

My father was born late September 1947....9 months after the Epic Winter of ‘47.

Well its not like many people had a TV or the internet back then was it and people needed to keep warm as there was no central heating either! ;);):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Reverse Zonality
    UW72-21.GIF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Reversal wrote: »
    No problem. How about right now. Here's the 12z ICON precip chart for now. The frames over a number hours show the precip stopping dead at the coast. Anyone in Dublin, South Meath, Wexford and Kildare can tell you that is not the case.

542298.jpg

Rainfall radar for the same time;
    542299.jpg
    Doesn't that just show this model can't handle the synoptics very well at all, if it exhibits this behaviour and others do not? Mind you, the other global models have a tendency to not be able to accurately predict convective activity in the Irish Sea so my point was - why use examples from any of them in the first place? I've checked the 06z Euro4 output for right now and it has done an excellent job of showing where the rain was falling for the past hour.

Using one inappropriate model to show things that other equally inappropriate models can't handle well by design, doesn't let us draw much of a conclusion.

What brought this up was someone mentioning a lack of forecast precip in the east for the start of next week. That's been a mostly consistent theme across the model output so far - and there is a strong precedent for the global models to undercook these potentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I'm praying for some white gold here in south west Dublin between Sunday and Wednesday.

It's looking less likely, however we might get lucky in west Dublin if the winds shift a bit.

Unfortunately yes it isn't looking good for much snow, if any, in Dublin for the first three days of the week, based on the reporting anyway. More bullish for Thursday however!

Most recent IT article at 2:30pm today;
    Earlier forecasts had shown a “fair amount of snow showers” across the east of the country in the first half of this week but “they have kind of pulled back at the moment”, said Ms Coleman.

Latest predictions suggest only parts of north Leinster and Ulster will see a “light dusting” of snow showers coming in on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. It is expected these falls will be just 1cm or 2 cm.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/more-than-5cm-of-snow-forecast-for-much-of-ireland-on-thursday-1.4478208?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Thewife wrote: »
    County Waterford the sun is shinning and it feels like a warm spring day , it doesn’t feel a bit cold here yet , not sure what the temperature is but I’m standing out my back garden with just a t shirt and it feels pleasant ! My kids are REALLY hoping for some snow ⛄️ I think they are going to be disappointed ��

Not sure why. No offence, but extrapolating what will happen in two days time from today's weather is like saying "my family all think it is going to get dark tonight but I'm outside now in the early afternoon and it's really bright so I can't see it happening".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the snow risk even for the UK is alot lower now than it was just yesterday. Most parts are going for 2 to 10cm over the next few days. The SE of England could get some snow tonight if that frontal system eventually turns to snow before it clears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

When it comes to snow its nearly always a nowcast situation. No point getting too hung up on snow charts yet especially regarding showers.

I hope we do get a good beast from the east, others had said it's similar to 1947 going by some models, also I was hoping that we get snow next Thursday here in Carrick on Shannon, so hopefully the mild Atlantic weather pushes back or if we get a break down and systems stay over Europe and continue to feed an easterly or northeasterly I'd be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Around the Mournes seeing some snowfall now -> https://www.ventusky.com/?p=54.206;-6.155;9&l=rain-3h&m=icon

• Advertisement

Its mad even though where 5 days away and we still don't know etc I hope models glitch and we have 2 weeks of easterly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement