Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Not sure why. No offence, but extrapolating what will happen in two days time from today's weather is like saying "my family all think it is going to get dark tonight but I'm outside now in the early afternoon and it's really bright so I can't see it happening".

I didn’t mean that because the sun is shining now that it will determine the weather in 2 days time . I mean given that all we are hearing on radio and tv weather reports is mentions of a return of something similar to the beast from the east I think my children will be very disappointed ! Sorry if I worded my post wrong I should have been more precise I suppose .

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Billcarson wrote: »
    When it comes to snow its nearly always a nowcast situation. No point getting too hung up on snow charts yet especially regarding showers.

Hands down the most sensible thing posted in here today. So refreshing to read as it’s true, instead of the endless IMBY posts and others posts conforming a 1cm covering if we’re lucky. I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised in the coming days........

D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

From what I can see from the models over the last 24hrs things are changing and the Atlantic is being shut out and the cold spell is being prolonged ....... A brief milder blip if it even makes it to the East coast ....... Fun times ahead, buckle up and enjoy the ride and let’s try to remain civil to each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

Gonzo wrote: »
    the snow risk even for the UK is alot lower now than it was just yesterday. Most parts are going for 2 to 10cm over the next few days. The SE of England could get some snow tonight if that frontal system eventually turns to snow before it clears.

Gonzo, your the ant Kermit of the weather forum . A bit like RTÉ , both sides need to be presented 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Unfortunately yes it isn't looking good for much snow, if any, in Dublin for the first three days of the week, based on the reporting anyway. More bullish for Thursday however!

Most recent IT article at 2:30pm today;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/more-than-5cm-of-snow-forecast-for-much-of-ireland-on-thursday-1.4478208?mode=amp

I recommend you don’t believe everything you read in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Billcarson wrote: »
    When it comes to snow its nearly always a nowcast situation. No point getting too hung up on snow charts yet especially regarding showers.
    derekon wrote: »
    Hands down the most sensible thing posted in here today. So refreshing to read as it’s true, instead of the endless IMBY posts and others posts conforming a 1cm covering if we’re lucky. I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised in the coming days........

D

This is exactly what I mean, the Irish sea isn't even fired up yet and we've had a good few rain streamers here in Dublin, a lot more than I was expecting. Even if the wind is more ENE could shift NE, E, SE like a snake whenever. These showers don't even exist yet, they pop up from nowhere, we've seen this in the BFTE and even as soon as Jan 24th, I bet even MÉ wasn't expecting the Irish sea to churn up that beefy precipitation which effected Portmarknock etc.

Nobody also predicted the snow streamers for Bray seafront on Jan 8th and it's intensity either. So much is up in the air.

If you want to set some perimeters for yourself, I'm going by 2 ideas
    1. I don't expect a dusting for me overnight Sunday
    2. I personally don't expect more than 3cm in my area

This way, I have lower expectations because we'll never know how shower activity will turn out, and I could be presently surprised! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rooney30 wrote: »
    Gonzo, your the ant Kermit of the weather forum . A bit like RTÉ , both sides need to be presented ��

I'm not anti anything! I am conservative when it comes to snow predictions because the mere mention of the word 'snow' and the media and many people think they are in for a dumping of snow when in reality we still don't really know how effective the Irish sea will be this week with it's lake effect snow. At the moment it isn't looking like a disruptive snowmaker, same for the UK. If there was more evidence of this I would be one of the first ramping it up!

Kermit isn't singing snow from the rooftops either waiting to see how the models handle the streamers over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Watching the rugby in London and it’s raining over there
    the snow risk even for the UK is alot lower now than it was just yesterday. Most parts are going for 2 to 10cm over the next few days. The SE of England could get some snow tonight if that frontal system eventually turns to snow before it clears.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Watching the rugby in London and it’s raining over there

It's still fairly mild over London and the SE, certainly milder than it is here. it was 9C a few hours ago there however the cold will sink in there later tonight. How much of that rain turns to snow before it clears by the morning remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

It's still fairly mild over London and the SE, certainly milder than it is here. it was 9C a few hours ago there however the cold will sink in there later tonight. How much of that rain turns to snow before it clears by the morning remains to be seen.

Hope you get some snow Gonzo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

TTLF wrote: »
    This is exactly what I mean, the Irish sea isn't even fired up yet and we've had a good few rain streamers here in Dublin, a lot more than I was expecting. Even if the wind is more ENE could shift NE, E, SE like a snake whenever. These showers don't even exist yet, they pop up from nowhere, we've seen this in the BFTE and even as soon as Jan 24th, I bet even MÉ wasn't expecting the Irish sea to churn up that beefy precipitation which effected Portmarknock etc.

Nobody also predicted the snow streamers for Bray seafront on Jan 8th and it's intensity either. So much is up in the air.

If you want to set some perimeters for yourself, I'm going by 2 ideas
    1. I don't expect a dusting for me overnight Sunday
    2. I personally don't expect more than 3cm in my area

This way, I have lower expectations because we'll never know how shower activity will turn out, and I could be presently surprised! :)

In fairness, some did note the Northerly Streamers forecast the night before and said there was the potential for them to be pushed west and come onshore. I went to sleep that night with zero expectation that they would come ashore though, as the last time I looked they were still streaming down the middle of the Irish Sea. I was very pleasantly surprised when I woke up, looked up and saw a layer of snow on my Velux window. Never jumped out of bed so fast in my life! LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

What a strange weather model from ventusky...Ejaculation of snow appears to happen in Rush according to this unusual phallus of precipitation. Quite extraordinary all the same, an unusual model for 3pm Sunday.

Snow-Event-Rush.jpg

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

What a strange weather model from ventusky...Ejaculation of snow appears to happen in Rush according to this unusual phallus of precipitation. Quite extraordinary all the same, an unusual model for 3pm Sunday.

Snow-Event-Rush.jpg
    Ejaculation of snow

Oh my

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Calibos wrote: »
    In fairness, some did note the Northerly Streamers forecast the night nefore and said there was the potential for them to be pushed west and come onshore. I went to sleep that night with zero expectation that the would come ashore though as last time I looked they were streaming down the middle of the Irish Sea. I was cery pleasentoy surprised when I woke up, looked up and saw a layer of snow on my Velux window. Never jumped out of bed so fast in my life! LOL :D

Goes to show how awfully tricky to predict they are. In a northerly, there's a lot less maritime air in the mix for that example, and even a nudge of 2 degrees in direction can make a huge difference :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Snow-Event-Rush.jpg

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

derekon wrote: »
    I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised in the coming days........

D

16 degrees and beautiful sunshine?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

As shown for Dublin our cold spell......

its 50/50 for the cold to continue.

Id put it at 80/20 for the cold to continue.

ECM rolling out.

tmsHsPL.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snow-Event-Rush.jpg

It seems to be overdoing coital...I mean coastal convergence (when the onshore easterly slows down over land and the air coming from behind (:o) piles up and rises, enhancing precipitation).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

As shown for Dublin our cold spell......

its 50/50 for the cold to continue.

Id put it at 80/20 for the cold to continue.

ECM rolling out.

I'd love If they plotted the GFS Para on that as a comparison.

I think the GFS P is back having it's problems again. I haven't seen an update since Thursday.

• Advertisement

It seems to be overdoing coital...I mean coastal convergence (when the onshore easterly slows down over land and the air coming from behind (:o) piles up and rises, enhancing precipitation).

As we’ve talked about earlier in the thread though, how far will the white stuff penetrate. Thats the real question.

This was taken 23 October 2003. From a East North Easterly up in kilikee.

Bring it on.

tRInl6i.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Calibos wrote: »

As we’ve talked about earlier in the thread though, how far will the white stuff penetrate. Thats the real question.

Ohh, matron!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Are people saying Dublin is out of the firing line now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So what's the consensus - is it going to snow or not? :pac:

john why wrote: »
    Are people saying Dublin is out of the firing line now?

The whole country is in the firing line.

Its going to get cold.

There will be wintery showers.

Some will get Snow.

Some will get alot of Snow.

Models are becoming very Dynamic. Changing every 4 Hours approximately.

Enjoy the Roller Coaster.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Thewife wrote: »
    I didn’t mean that because the sun is shining now that it will determine the weather in 2 days time . I mean given that all we are hearing on radio and tv weather reports is mentions of a return of something similar to the beast from the east I think my children will be very disappointed ! Sorry if I worded my post wrong I should have been more precise I suppose .

Apologies if I took you up wrong. Think you will see snow btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Apologies if I took you up wrong. Think you will see snow btw
    I see you had a misunderstanding with the wife!

If the ECM has taught me anything......its the days of the week in French!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EC at T96hrs, ....chilly

ECM0-96.GIF?06-0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement