Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I'm a Bannerman like yourself, such is life. Getting an hour of snow from the frontal edge Thursday would represent a small victory. These set-ups invariably favour the east, don't begrudge them in the least. As long as somebody is happy, looking forward to seeing the photo montage on this thread!

That's the spirit Bertie boy!

I'm on high ground in Wexford and sceptical if we'll get snow from streamers here but I don't begrudge anyone snow during this next week.

It's good for the kids (and those of us still kids at heart )

We usually get snow here if snow is in the air at all over leinster so we live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/jma/runs/2021020618/J84-7.GIF?07-18
    18z a further nudge West again
    Almost every single run has moved things further West today.
    I'm probably not over exaggerating by saying the morning runs are the most keenly anticipated on the history of boards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Streamers should kick off tomorrow afternoon. Interesting few days ahead let's make the most of it whatever comes after that is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Great-looking snow sounding from the GFS for Thursday evening. That would produce heavy whiteout conditions if it verified.

542362.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm a Bannerman like yourself, such is life. Getting an hour of snow from the frontal edge Thursday would represent a small victory. These set-ups invariably favour the east, don't begrudge them in the least. As long as somebody is happy, looking forward to seeing the photo montage on this thread!

Ah yeah, half the fun is watching the weather evolution and I don't mind some nice frosts! However it's only human nature to begrudge them a little bit haha! Expectations were never high, I can't remember an easterly ever properly delivering here other than Storm Emma, (which was a frontal event), so you can't be upset about something you knew would never occur!

Exciting conditions incoming for sure. I shall enjoy seeing the photos and hearing about the conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gonzo wrote: »
    10 to 15cm of snow through much of the country on Thursday. Some places close to 20cm.

132-780UK.GIF?06-18

Nothing for Cork :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

YanSno wrote: »
    Streamers should kick off tomorrow afternoon. Interesting few days ahead let's make the most of it whatever comes after that is a bonus.

You still sticking with North Dublin / Louth for most streamer activities?
    Do you have any judgment on overall east coast, south dublin and southwards?
    Im just trying (and failing) to understand the wind direction over the coming 3 days!
    Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Great-looking snow sounding from the GFS for Thursday evening. That would produce heavy whiteout conditions if it verified.

542362.png

How are the soundings looking for us in Cork City GL? All the latest charts I'm seeing seen to have us under blue rain on Thursday and the rest pink! I trust soundings a lot more than charts though , just don't understand them! Hah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SnizzleSky

Needed to take a break today. Come back in tonight. Actually reloaded Meteociel twice. Oh sweet Jesus, 1947. No sleep on tomorrow morning. Unprecedented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

How are the soundings looking for us in Cork City GL? All the latest charts I'm seeing seen to have us under blue rain on Thursday and the rest pink! I trust soundings a lot more than charts though , just don't understand them! Hah :)

Cork City sounding for earlier in the day. This would give a very marginal mix at that location. This is about the extent of the cold there, with strong warm advection in off the sea a limiting factor. Further north into the county should fare better.

542363.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Even on Saturday temps struggling for most

162-580UK.GIF?06-18

My own view is a good chance we won't see milder weather for most by the weekend. Snow will stay for many and possibility of entering a deeper freeze by Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

And if it`s orange?

Just avoid it haha

Gonzo wrote: »
    10 to 15cm of snow through much of the country on Thursday. Some places close to 20cm.

132-780UK.GIF?06-18

9 cm for me I'll take that

leahyl wrote: »
    Nothing for Cork :-(

What part are you in? It's still early days yet

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Netweather radar showing up some snow moving into the antrim hills just now, wheres nqp15etc ?? !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,332 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dazler97 wrote: »
    9 cm for me I'll take that

Wouldn't we all, but in my opinion, snow depth charts at +132 should be printed off and used to light the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Rollercoaster really is the only word to describe this thread, the ups and downs have me on edge, let's hope only ups until thursday now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

My own view is a good chance we won't see milder weather for most by the weekend. Snow will stay for many and possibility of entering a deeper freeze by Monday.

Level with us. How many beers are associated with this forecast?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I said it a few days ago that this deep cold is not so easy to shift. This was when the models were showing a breakdown on Wednesday. Now that is pushed back to Thursday with major question marks if it will happen at all. The morning runs will be very interesting and thats an understatement.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Wouldn't we all, but in my opinion, snow depth charts at +132 should be printed off and used to light the fire.

I agree, only get excited if it's 96 hours or under

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

what about 104?

not even a little bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

You still sticking with North Dublin / Louth for most streamer activities?
    Do you have any judgment on overall east coast, south dublin and southwards?
    Im just trying (and failing) to understand the wind direction over the coming 3 days!
    Tks

Yes I am but it will have a more of a ENE component on Tuesday when the LP will slide south east. South Dublin will see some flurries but nothing significant at this stage . Thursday is a different story though

Danno wrote: »
    I spy with my little eye a potential for precipitation tomorrow over west Leinster and East Connacht spreading west... will temps be cold enough for snowfall?

Currently about 2 degrees in east Connaught via an amateur placed thermometer.

Anecdotally, I have my doubts of anything significant here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hi everyone. Am in SCD and got my food and grog delivered yesterday. Enough for a week lol.. I’m ready. But that usually means that nothing will happen.

But here we go anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Even on Saturday temps struggling for most

162-580UK.GIF?06-18

Wouldnt it be something say if the east stayed dry until wednesday. The front just stalled shy of Athlone on Thursday/Friday.
    How things can get turned on their heads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,332 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In these unstable scenarios, I made a deal with myself years ago, beyond +72 is F.I.

Rougies wrote: »
    SCD?

South County Dublin

I'm guessing

what about 104?

not even a little bit?

Not if it's FI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just curious,how can you be sure it will be entirely dry at this stage?? Although your thoughts seem to reflect the Met Eireann monthly.

Think that was based on 12z model guidance (probably in both cases), 18z GFS showing more of a cold gradient wind from southeast, rather than being right under high pressure, so would qualify that comment as being subject to revision -- if the model trends continue and don't begin to backtrack to earlier guidance which of course is always the risk.

This no-mild-incursion second and third cold wave outcome is only the 18z GFS don't forget, not saying it's impossible but we await the 00z guidance for a bit more confidence in it at least.

Hope we don't crash the internet tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

South County Dublin

I'm guessing

Ah yeah, makes sense. That will give Oneiric 3 an aneurysm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement