Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Ireland is an island surrounded by warm waters in pretty much every direction. I posted a video animation earlier on showing how this Arctic air mass is filtering through with vexatious ease into NE Europe (huge land mass) but struggling to maintain its intensity once it exits Norway into our watery side.

I’m not really referring to the intensity of the cold. But rather the length of time it takes for the colder air to filter down from the atmosphere. (I imagine cold fronts here arrive with the colder air mixing towards the surface, with time).

Whereas in continental climates the cold air appears to be uniformly distributed down through the air column towards the surface (obviously cooling with altitude), with the cold air arriving immediately with the front passage.

The only time we seem to get a quick transition is with a squall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    Going to Dublin for work on Tuesday hopefully it's not like driving through Antarctica

If there's no bread in the shops THEN you know it's serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I’m not really referring to the intensity of the cold. But rather the length of time it takes for the colder air to filter down from the atmosphere. (I imagine cold fronts here arrive with the colder air mixing towards the surface, with time).

Whereas in continental climates the cold air appears to be uniformly distributed down through the air column surface (obviously cooling with altitude), with the cold air arriving immediately with the front passage.

Colossal land masses like N. America are going to cool down quicker than the ocean at this time of year. Take the heat out of the ground, and cold air will filter down more far more quicker than it would over the seas, which, in our region, are an eternal source of warmth battling against it.

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

dak wrote: »
    I have reared 3 children and this thread sometimes reminds me of those years! When it was time to go for a walk we looked outside and put on the appropriate clothing and footwear.. A now cast! We never sat down and discussed the conditions that might exist fora walk that was several days away.

Rearing children is like a forecast.. Except you take it day by day and you don't wish your life away over snow or no snow.

If you live long enough you will experience all that nature throws at you... In the meantime live life and enjoy it!

Too many men here LOL (no offence to men, I happen to be one, some of my friends are, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

In my very amateur opinion I reckon that there will be widespread heavy snowfall any time between mid Thursday and early Friday morning.

• Advertisement

sicknotexi wrote: »
    In my very amateur opinion I reckon that there will be widespread heavy snowfall any time between mid Thursday and early Friday morning.

Snow seems to be pushed out to the later part of the week. I expect snow here in Cork that quickly turns into a thaw and slushy mess. Meh!

I will enjoy the cold anyway, and see what comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

The rest of your explanation fails to suffice.
    The explanation does suffice as to why people were getting excited by the run.You want winter to be over so maybe that's why you don't share the enthusiasm for the run.

Can't wait for the freezer to arrive. It has been too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Snow seems to be pushed out to the later part of the week. I expect snow here in Cork that quickly turns into a thaw and slushy mess. Meh!

I will enjoy the cold anyway, and see what comes.

Yes. Thurday seems to be the day for a frontal snow day. Exciting times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

As you were this morning. Ignore the silliness of pub runs and you have an interesting Thursday for a while until mother Atlantic gets back her influence for the next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Cold air is very slowly filtering in. I see the event in SE England has been delayed due to a similar affect there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes nothing but lashing rain overnight and this morning in London from what I am hearing. Cold must be delayed vs what they expected. Must be a lot of surface water over there because it was even lashing rain over there during the rugby yesterday and has been raining since
    Cold air is very slowly filtering in. I see the event in SE England has been delayed due to a similar affect there.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Heavy rain with plenty of sleet mixed in here in Meath. Surprised at just how much rain has fallen over past 24 hours since wind turned east. Wasn’t forecast to this extent. Wonder will these prolonged showers keep going when dew points drop later? Currently 2.5c and dp of 1.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

It’s a balmy 5 degrees on the coast D4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Very dry in Dublin this morning, must have been dry overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Was a bit worried about the direct easterly but the met eireann maps seem to show it taking a slight south turn as it comes onshore

Here is hoping ! Am in Sallins

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Anyone hazard a guess are the likely precipitation rates for Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

bazlers wrote: »

Take a look at the precip rates on met e

Says for my area about 7 cm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

bazlers wrote: »

Too early to be precise. There'll be plenty posting the accumulated snow charts today for then. Keep your salt pot nearby though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wind / steering flow direction has a more ENE component over the Irish Sea on most output this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Result is much better streamer action for Greater Dublin, EC going for total snow accumulation of between 5 and 10cm from the streamer activity - that's throughout the whole mon to weds period and doesnt include melting or evaporation, compaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

sicknotexi wrote: »

Looks like it won't be as widespread as kerry which is OK. I won't have a melt down over it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Whereas in continental climates the cold air appears to be uniformly distributed down through the air column towards the surface (obviously cooling with altitude), with the cold air arriving immediately with the front passage.

The only time we seem to get a quick transition is with a squall.

I've been saying it for a week now. It will take a while for all the slop from this week's rain and mild temperatures to be overcome at the surface. Ground temperatures are relatively high and soils are saturated. At the very lowest levels this will continue up to have some effect regardless of what uppers we have.

Upstream, wbt are coming down over northern England this morning. There are some snow reports, though also some snow grains, which I reckon is what a lot of these streamers will bring due to the very shallow convection.

Reposted to include correct map.

542372.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I've been saying it for a week now. It will take a while for all the slop from this week's rain and mild temperatures to be overcome at the surface.

Agreed. Would have liked a few decent air/ground frosts before this easterly set in. Not too excited about prospects for the coming days.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yes nothing but lashing rain overnight and this morning in London from what I am hearing. Cold must be delayed vs what they expected. Must be a lot of surface water over there because it was even lashing rain over there during the rugby yesterday and has been raining since

Much colder air filtering into SE UK now and earlier rain turning to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ascophyllum

Moderate rain on the west coast of Mayo right now, what's the source of this rain I wonder? Forecast is for all dry and an easterly airflow is almost always totally dry here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Great-looking snow sounding from the GFS for Thursday evening. That would produce heavy whiteout conditions if it verified.

542362.png

What location is that for GL? Have you a link that would explain how to interpret these soundings for an amateur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

As you were this morning. Ignore the silliness of pub runs and you have an interesting Thursday for a while until mother Atlantic gets back her influence for the next weekend.
    Yes, looking like a repeat of BFTE 2018 after viewing charts this morning, a short cold snap and a slush fest.
    Anyway a freeze after snowfall isn't very common here in Ireland, 2010 and 1982 are the only occasions I can think of,
    Its reminding me of the short easterly blast of Jan 1987. I think we will end up with something like this. I'd love to be wrong and see a big Scandi high that won't sink.
    www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=18&month=1&year=1987&hour=0&type=ncep&map=1&type=ncep&region=&mode=0
    Enjoy the next few days!

What location is that for GL? Have you a link that would explain how to interpret these soundings for an amateur

With that lat and long, looks like Dublin Airport or somewhere near there probably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Freezing cold in West Dublin now... I can smell the snow at this stage.... I imagine we will start having hail and snow showers by late this evening in parts of Dublin and lots more tomortow and Tuesday...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement