Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Drizzle changing to Snizzle in Clondalkin Dublin

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

coconnellz wrote: »
    Currently Sleet shower here South Cavan 100 meters

Temperatures and DP's falling back through the day so anything falling should 100% snow by this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Sisters back in Glasgow,sickening me by sending videos of snow just now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Sporadic flurries for the last hour & a half. South Cavan 164 m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Underwhelming snow warning for us up North . Met office

Monday evening to Tuesday warning
    Snow showers will affect southern parts of Northern Ireland through Monday afternoon and overnight into Tuesday. Some accumulations are likely, mainly over higher ground, with 1-3 cm in places. Surfaces are also likely to stay wet following daytime showers with icy stretches then forming overnight.

Tuesday to Wednesday 11am warning
    Showers blowing inland from the Irish Sea are likely to produce some slight accumulations (1-3 cm), whilst falling as rain or sleet near the immediate coast. The largest accumulations during daylight hours will likely be confined to higher ground (above 200 m). Below this, freezing of wet snow through the evening is likely to cause some icy stretches which could then become snow covered overnight. Not everywhere will see these showers, and accumulations are expected to be patchy in nature.

Tuesday Wednesday sounding more marginal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Scotland is the place to be the past few weeks, they always get the best snow though in this part of the world
    gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Sisters back in Glasgow,sickening me by sending videos of snow just now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If you have snapchat go to the snap map and check out the videos from around the Cairngorms and Aberdeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I thought MT’s forecast is less bullish about snow Mon-Wed and even Thursdays event he seems to grant high probability of a mild breakdown Thursday afternoon with the mild winning and snow transitioning to rain.

My expectations for Mon-Wed and even Thursday have hit rock bottom tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Musefan wrote: »
    Sporadic flurries for the last hour & a half. South Cavan 164 m

Bailieborough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Calibos wrote: »
    I thought MT’s forecast is less bullish about snow Mon-Wed and even Thursdays event he seems to grant high probability of a mild breakdown Thursday afternoon with the mild winning and snow transitioning to rain.

My expectations for Mon-Wed and even Thursday have hit rock bottom tbh.

Nowcast stage of the rollercoaster so relax and whatever happens, happens.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Woke up to..... drizzly rain. Yay.

Scotland is the place to be the past few weeks, they always get the best snow though in this part of the world

When I was growing up,summer was always warm,winter always had snow,where family is they're getting a pelting of late ..bas*ards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Some little ice pellets mixed in with the rain here in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Looking at the latest charts I think the following will come to pass:

1. Snow/graupel/ice pellet showers anywhere in a line from South Dublin to Eastern N. Ireland, pushing in land

2. Intensity mostly light to moderate with perhaps the occasional heavier burst (where the showers hit bullseye and or places further inland and with a bit of height)

3.Accumulations. Very hard to predict but I'd say the luckier spots might get as much as 10 cm and other places getting zero. Unless I latch onto a decent shower stream I'm expecting a dusting at best (right on the coast here)

In general a decent set up - heights and thicknesses aren't great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Well as i said , after all the rain, I'll gladly take and enjoy a few cold days. Dry the place up a bit.

I was talking to the grandchildren in Dublin earlier and the look of disappointment on their wee faces when they asked were they getting snow and I had to tell them it might not be coming.... they missed Emma as my son and his family were living abriad at that time. I hope they get a few cms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Mimon wrote: »
    Bailieborough?

Nope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Getting cold now in Galway. Nice fresh breeze too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The ignore function becomes pretty useless when the posts still show when quoted

You'll just have to put the quoters on ignore too unfortunately
    There is ZERO room in these threads for petty arguments
    I'm not a mod anymore folks but I started this forum nearly 17 years ago and it wasn't for rows even if there's plenty
    No need for it at All
    Bite the lip,don't engage the petty and above all enjoy what's coming
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Cold air is definitely here.. dew point is -2c but just bone dry. Regarding breakdown, latest gfs keeps me in cold air again through Saturday.

Are we really going to go through another day of pointless bickering? It's getting very annoying and a total waste of energy.

Sister in Kent has taken back her accusations, snow sticking readily now.
    Wifes friend sent her a video from her brother in Reading,getting plastered at the moment with the white gold

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Cold air is definitely here.. dew point is -2c but just bone dry. Regarding breakdown, latest gfs keeps me in cold air again through Saturday.

Yes definitely a chill in the air outside now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Clondalkin Dublin, been out for 20 mins tidying up the garden and my Jayses it's gone very cold. Still drizzle type showers on and off with and a biting breeze that's picking up. Conditions seems to be nearing in terms of temps for those wanting snow (just like me 😉) so hopefully by evening, it'll be about watching what the Irish Sea can bubble up

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Snow hitting the east coast of England now on netweather radar ....

We never get those crazy low dew points the models forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Definitely feels like a drop in temp in Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

I've noticed the word "Rain" creep into the ME forecast today, I would have thought -10 uppers and negative DP would be snow even at the coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I think the snow showers might be reach more inland this time than what we usually get...the air we get with most easterlies usually gives us very clear skies in the west not this time its very cloudy air not as dry as it usually is with this kind of weather....we'll see sure

This mornings ecm has upgraded the deepest snow totals from streamers compared to the previous runs

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/snow-depth-in/20210211-0300z.html

Definitely feels like a drop in temp in Dublin now.
    seems quite a difference,out getting stuff in the garden about 9ish seemed cool,walked to shops there,marked difference,bitter

• Advertisement

Zogabomb wrote: »
    I've noticed the word "Rain" creep into the ME forecast today, I would have thought -10 uppers and negative DP would be snow even at the coast!

The worst you would see would be graupel at the extreme coast in that scenario.

The -10c 850hPa isotherm doesn’t reach the rest of the island until tomorrow afternoon through.. and looking on XC weather the conditions are not prime for snow beyond Ulster right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement