Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I thought UK was to get a good bit of snow today. It seems only Leeds Bradford (which is at a High elevation) is the only place recoding more than a couple of cm

Seriously? Have you not looked at the radar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The snow is in east Anglia and SE England from a low pressure system. That may reduce shower activity elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I thought UK was to get a good bit of snow today. It seems only Leeds Bradford (which is at a High elevation) is the only place recoding more than a couple of cm

The highest I can see is Newcastle. Even Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee have 0-1 cm.

Newcastle

Snow
    Issued at: Sun 07 Feb 2021 - 11:32 UTC
    Valid from: Sun 07 Feb 2021 - 18:00 UTC
    Valid to: Mon 08 Feb 2021 - 00:00 UTC
    SNOW (OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED) IS LIKELY OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD. SLIGHT/MODERATE SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 2-5CM. SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS NOT EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE GREATER THAN 15KT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF DRIFTING.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Radar is clear but raining all morning in Carlow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

My friend who lives in Bradford sent me this pic last night.

He said it was snowing all night in his area

https://ibb.co/hmFy5sB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes can see the radar but I don’t think the snow in the UK today is what was expected. I thought they were to get large amounts. Scotland is obviously

Don't be using that crappy snow radar on Netweather or Meteociel. They're almost useless.

Here are actual weather reports from midday. Reds are various sleet/snow/ice pellet reports, greens are rain. It's not an all-out whiteout there by any means yet, with snow at the higher stations so far.

542387.png

Light snow at Glennane (160 m, near Newry) now. WBT 0.1 C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Yes can see the radar but I don’t think the snow in the UK today is what was expected. I thought they were to get large amounts. Scotland is obviously

Yeh, seemed to be heavier this morning until about 10. Suspect it will pick up again this afternoon.

The snow in the south east looks amazing but not sticking in too many places yet. Again when it starts getting colder in the next few hours it should be impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Just been surprised to see a flurry of wet snow(light in nature) falling here in west wexford at 150 m asl.. Wasn't expecting anything at all today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Light snow at Glennane (160 m, near Newry) now. WBT 0.1 C.
    Is there a way to access the TII humidity values for the roadside monitoring stations? They were a valuable asset in the past, but now they just seem to display road and air temperatures.

Looking at live weather cams in London it’s not sticking
    Yeh, seemed to be heavier this morning until about 10. Suspect it will pick up again this afternoon.

The snow in the south east looks amazing but not sticking in too many places yet. Again when it starts getting colder in the next few hours it should be impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Lovely day in Offaly now, gloomy earlier, brightened up since then. OK, that fresh east wind cuts you in two, but if you wrap up, no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

The south East of the UK is getting a decent bit of snow. What makes you think it's not snowing in South East England, where it was forecast?See the following website to see some traffic cameras in South East England https://www.weatherbug.com/traffic-cam/clacton-on-sea-essex-county-uk

I still have a good feeling about the next few days and many will get a pleasant surprise here in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Similar fall in Arklow
    3.8c now
    Currently spitting sleet
    Temp details attached

Fall in dew point temps will more apparent than the fall in actual temps as the rest of the day wears on and this is what will increase the chill factor. Drying air/wind = increased evaporation off skin = brrrrr.

New Moon

It's sticking in Ipswich no problem, a bit surprised it's not sticking as well in nearby places away from the British east coast.

Because I just spoke to my friend in London, I am not talking about wider south east
    highdef wrote: »
    The south East of the UK is getting a decent bit of snow. What makes you think it's not snowing in South East England, where it was forecast?See the following website to see some traffic cameras in South East England https://www.weatherbug.com/traffic-cam/clacton-on-sea-essex-county-uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

"Disable my Adblocker". No, no I won't...

From just reading the reports on TWO, seems to be fairly hit and miss in the greater SE England region.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    "Disable my Adblocker". No, no I won't...

From just reading the reports on TWO, seems to be fairly hit and miss in the greater SE England region.
    Yeah, even the geographical distribution of them doesn't make that much sense to me. But I'm not as familiar with that part of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest radar

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Here's the 12Z sounding from Albermarle (144 m amsl, inland west of Middlesborough). The entire sounding is below zero but it's only saturated from 900 - 800 hPa (~800 m), which is why snow is so light and more of the needles/snow grains type. Very hard to get any decent intensity with a profile like that.

Steering winds there east to east-northeasterly, around 30 knots.

542391.png

Sleety drizzle in Arklow

Another 0.5c drop

3.3-0.7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

It's sticking in Ipswich no problem, a bit surprised it's not sticking as well in nearby places away from the British east coast.

In line with the Amber warning

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2021-02-07&id=3b5792c1-4d13-4737-9173-2ab1fadb720f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Because I just spoke to my friend in London, I am not talking about wider south east

Well then you're just picking specific locations. The main areas for disruptive snow are forecast for the very South East of England, where there is an orange weather warning. That is happening. London has a yellow warning as snow is only a risk there. Also, London is pretty large so if your friend is in North West London, it might be raining but it may well be snowing in South and East London. Looking at Wundermap, it's generally 2 to 3° in North and West London, about 1° in central London and 0°or below in the South and East of London, all within the M25. This seems like the forecast has been extremely accurate so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Farming forecast for the week ahead starting on rte soon.

Relax, I am only pointing out what I heard. I didn’t say other parts of south east are not getting lying snow. I couldn’t give a fiddlers what the UK gets quite frankly. Apologies for pointing out what someone told me today. This thread is becoming painful.

The UK media and met also tend to greatly exaggerate
    Well then you're just picking specific locations. The main areas for disruptive snow are forecast for the very South East of England, where there is an orange weather warning. That is happening. London has a yellow warning as snow is only a risk there. Also, London is pretty large so if your friend is in North West London, it might be raining but it may well be snowing in South and East London. Looking at Wundermap, it's generally 2 to 3° in North and West London, about 1° in central London and 0°or below in the South and East of London, all within the M25. This seems like the forecast has been extremely accurate so far.

12Z soundings. Nice that they give temperature and dewpoint at 100 metres above station height and also dewpoints at other levels too (925, 850 hPa, etc.). 925 hPa is at around 650-700 m amsl.

There's no sounding yet from Castor Bay.

542393.png

542394.png

542395.png

542396.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

3.3c/-0.9 @ Howth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement