Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yeah, even the geographical distribution of them doesn't make that much sense to me. But I'm not as familiar with that part of the world.

Looking from above, and the shower clouds moving into the east of England look almost stratiform in nature. Not very deep that is for sure. Very frequent but light showers I'd say about sums it up there.

oTMTjQa.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Farming forecast for the week ahead starting on rte soon.
    Thanks for the reminder!

As for the orange weather warning, I thought that was more to do with the amount of precipitation, not that some places within it would be getting mixed precip. Maybe it's just during this transitional phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Why is there an 'X' for Valentia?

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looking from above, and the shower clouds moving into the east of England look almost stratiform in nature. Not very deep that is for sure. Very frequent but light showers I'd say about sums it up there.

And that should be the theme for us up to Wednesday night too. Any streamers will be mostly snow grains/needles/ice pellets, like grains of sugar belting off your face in the wind. They'll sound loud on the window but it's hard for them to accumulate to much, except at the base of walls, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Soon to be buried treasure. X marks the spot!

Or the data is unavailable?

• Advertisement

I think it's because it doesn't have the high density of observations that some other radiosondes do and it didn't take a reading at 100 metres. Others take readings every couple of metres. Compare Valentia to Albermarle, for example.

An underwhelming farming forecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The roadcam from Grianán Aileach shoes some snow on the hills in the background, also Errigal has snow on the Gweedore camera, is this fresh snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Serious cold building out East at the end of next week.
    If that drifts our way it really will shut the country!!
    IF....

Country is already shut.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

AuntySnow wrote: »

Did she just come in off the street.

What's.... With..... All the..... Pauses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Baldonnel at 3°c/-2°c dp

Yeh. Latest ME website is saying cloudy and dry. A few isolated wintry showers. Breakdown on Thursday. Mild air expected in everywhere incl north by Sat. They did say that period was less certain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hollowlands

Pangea wrote: »
    The roadcam from Grianán Aileach shoes some snow on the hills in the background, also Errigal has snow on the Gweedore camera, is this fresh snow?

Looking out my window at Grianan and no it isn't. No precipitation of any type here since Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

Yep, very watered down . Not even a mention of a weather warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭downburst

Just back from walk in Dundalk. South easterly wind, dry ground and just grauple falling very lightly. Radar making more of it than is happening on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭circadian

Out with the kids for a while there, jaysus that wind is cold. Car reading 6 degrees my hands are reading baltic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Did she just come in off the street.

What's.... With..... All the..... Pauses.

She's new to the TV broadcasts, so she probably rehearses quite a bit. I'd say in time she'll be more relaxed and her forecasts will flow better. She's good though and quite easy on the eye too! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Is there a way to access the TII humidity values for the roadside monitoring stations? They were a valuable asset in the past, but now they just seem to display road and air temperatures.

They don’t have accurate humidity readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Just very vague. Lots of information about last week but very little detail about the week to come. Most farmers would be none the wiser after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hooter23

If met eireann are not hyping up the weather thats coming it can only be a good thing...whatever they say it usually turns out be the opposite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

To think of the charts we were going crazy over at the start of the week, which are pretty much verifying. Still can't quite get my head around it, sea to 850 hPa temp difference of over 18 degrees expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

And that should be the theme for us up to Wednesday night too. Any streamers will be mostly snow grains/needles/ice pellets, like grains of sugar belting off your face in the wind. They'll sound loud on the window but it's hard for them to accumulate to much, except at the base of walls, etc.

The noise it makes when it hits surfaces is very unique and hard to describe. Different to hail. Good to be outside in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bitterly cold here in Meath with a stiff easterly wind. Loving this wind because it is like a cold hair dryer and that is drying out the ground here very quickly. Yesterday the garden was very saturated, it is now much dryer than it was yesterday evening.

3.3c/-0.7c
    Arklow
    Wind NE 21kmh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking out my window at Grianan and no it isn't. No precipitation of any type here since Friday

The photographic evidence begs to differ.

Wettish snow falling at the Tottenham - WBA match in London now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

There hasn’t been any precipitation here either, in fact the sun just came out through the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

To think of the charts we were going crazy over at the start of the week, which are pretty much verifying. Still can't quite get my head around it, sea to 850 hPa temp difference of over 18 degrees expected.

I'm guessing it's case of in years gone by we approached these things in a much more simplified fashion. Half the snow threads here years ago for NW'rlys used to have no info beyond the 850s looking OK. Worked out some of the time, others not really.

I definitely don't remember all these soundings and analysis of cloudtops and convection potential in the likes of 2010. Maybe a case of all those things fell into place while we all only ever looked at the likes of 850s vs. SSTs saying yes.

But now on an event-by-event basis we go through all that information and not all the pieces of the puzzle are there this time.

Gaoth Laidir's thread from 2019 on what's required for snow in Ireland was a real insight into how complicated it can be and that thread doesn't even get started on cloudntops and convection or wind speeds etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Pangea wrote: »

On Monday or Tuesday there was heavy snow higher up, some patchy accumulations above 100m and decent above 200/300m+ .

• Advertisement

Because right above is a strong inversion, capping convection and therefore limiting snow intensity. It's always been looking that way, which is why the high accumulation totals being mentioned for Monday-Wednesday seem unlikely, imo. Thursday will be a different story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement