Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Snowing here in Carlow.

Reasonable sized flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Really light flurries in D12

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

highdef wrote: »
    Now? There's nothing at all showing up on any of the radars so am confused that there is heavy snow there, or any snow for that matter.

Yes it's very strange. Nothing showing on MET's radar but it's snowing outside. Has been for the last while. We are on a hill here.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

my friend in Kent is getting pasted write now

Drowning his sorrows since the Scots pumped them yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

No warnings for M.E. thats not a good sign.

A non descriptive yellow warning for snow and ice or a yellow warning for accumulations of 1 to 3cm in places for a 24 hour to 36 hour period is my guess. For the hours of Monday and part of Tuesday.

Then for it to be extended/a new snow warning for Tuesday until Wednesday once they are more confident about the details. Perhaps the 1 to 3cm range again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Drowning his sorrows since the Scots pumped them yesterday

she polish. lol. dog gone mad. Great pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Because right above is a strong inversion, capping convection and therefore limiting snow intensity. It's always been looking that way, which is why the high accumulation totals being mentioned for Monday-Wednesday seem unlikely, imo. Thursday will be a different story.

I am not going to hold you to it, but, assuming there are no downgrades, what do you think the accumulations would be from Thursday's snow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes it's very strange. Nothing showing on MET's radar but it's snowing outside. Has been for the last while. We are on a hill here.

How heavy are we talking? If it's heavy and coming down for a while, I'd expect a decent covering now especially with you being on a hill. Any chance of a pic or video, just to make us all jealous?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You can see the shower over south county Louth right now on the Howth webcam...

http://www.howthweather.com/

You can see the shower over south county Louth right now on the Howth webcam...

http://www.howthweather.com/

Just seen flakes on the webcam there actually

• Advertisement

Light snow here now, north Dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Pointed out already. But its amazing how quick the wind is drying up the place. If we don't see snow I'll at least be happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I am not going to hold you to it, but, assuming there are no downgrades, what do you think the accumulations would be from Thursday's snow?

I'd say 10 cm could occur fairly widely, with pockets of 15-20 in favoured locations. The 00Z ECM is not quite showing the widespread blanket that it was showing yesterday, breaking up slightly before reforming in the northeast later again in the evening. It's a long time away and it could go either way. It will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I believe the 12z HARMONIE is finally beginning to get a handle of some of the streamer action for Tuesday.

Some of these streams are go very far west with the strong air-flow, parts of Connacht could be in for a pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

highdef wrote: »
    How heavy are we talking? If it's heavy and coming down for a while, I'd expect a decent covering now especially with you being on a hill. Any chance of a pic or video, just to make us all jealous?

Heavy enough shower but wet flakes and not sticking yet. Visibility was poor but it's clearing again. A notable crispness in the air now. Nothing much to be jealous of at the minute tbh. Just letting ye know it's been snowing here for quite a while now and was surprised noone else had reported it yet. I see Carlow is reporting snow too. Fun times ahead for the week. :-) Will see if it's white up behind us when the visibility improves. BBBRRRRR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

A few tiny flakes blowing about in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

a super light flurry in Dublin 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭almostthere12

That's just the way it is, I'm afraid. Focusing on just one level (850 hPa) can always give a false sense of security.

For the record, here were reported snow depths from December 2010, the first from early in the month (note the huge difference between Casement and Dublin airport, the streamer effect), the second from Christmas morning. Pretty impressive, though I think that metre of snow at Knock was an error.

542402.png

542401.png

Shouldn't the F over Cork actually be SFA!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Light flakes in D12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Recent snow grains at Isle of Man Ronaldsway airport. Dewpoint -5.

METAR EGNS 071320Z 08027KT 9999 SG SCT030 BKN040 03/M05 Q1013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I believe the 12z HARMONIE is finally beginning to get a handle of some of the streamer action for Tuesday.

Some of these streams are go very far west with the strong air-flow, parts of Connacht could be in for a pleasant surprise.

I presume you mean East Connacht only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Light snow flurry in D5. Good sign surely in these early stages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Is anyone recording a SE wind? All of the stations are E in NI but my station has been SE all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I can hear tumbleweed in the distance, there's not much more to be squeezed out of this 'event'. Be interesting to see GFS's bitter cold easterly for the 20th onwards, or whether that fizzles out too.

Blood out of a stone at this stage. I feel sorry for everyone on here as I know how much we all want decent snowfall. Some may see some but Met Eireann's snorefest of a farming forecast is the nail in the coffin. Anyway, Ill take a wee break away from here and drop in tomorrow evening to see if there are any changes.

Hope some of you get snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Heavy enough shower but wet flakes and not sticking yet. Visibility was poor but it's clearing again. A notable crispness in the air now. Nothing much to be jealous of at the minute tbh. Just letting ye know it's been snowing here for quite a while now and was surprised noone else had reported it yet. I see Carlow is reporting snow too. Fun times ahead for the week. :-) Will see if it's white up behind us when the visibility improves. BBBRRRRR!

Im looking across the Kilkenny basin from the Hills of Kilmanagh your direction and Mt Leinster and the surrounding hills are in the clouds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Reports of any sort of snow at this stage are a good sign surely. Harmonie beginning to show streamers for Tuesday

harmonieeur40-1-48-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

How is say the convection potential for say Scotland compared to us here in Ireland? Are we expecting similar profiles?

Some better echoes heading ashore to Scotland now on Netweather. Any precip. green onwards from experience on Netweather is of fair intensity. But if they have better ehm, parcel delivery (?? :p), then not much use to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Baldonnel at 3°c with dewpoint -3°c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

If anyone is going to get snow from Scotland it will be me, but it would need to be a heavy shower flowing SW from the Central Belt.

Showers won’t flow from there to ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Frontal assault running in the next at Leopardstown, a win could be a nice omen for Thursday :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement