Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I agree....if today is meant to be the least cold day of the next four days and even very light showers are falling as snow already, it has to be a good sign. Hopefully Irish Sea streamers will ramp up over next couple of day’s and people may get a surprise or two

quote="TheMilkyPirate;116195733"]Reports of any sort of snow at this stage are a good sign surely. Harmonie beginning to show streamers for Tuesday

harmonieeur40-1-48-0.png[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    If anyone is going to get snow from Scotland it will be me, but it would need to be a heavy shower flowing SW from the Central Belt.

Showers won’t flow from there to ROI.

Not what I'm asking, of course they won't hit here. Trying to gauge how the parameters there that are allowing an increase in intensity in precip. compare to what we will experience later on. If we will have roughly similar potential then it's a decent sign.

EDIT: To save another post, thanks GL for the response!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Blood out of a stone at this stage. I feel sorry for everyone on here as I know how much we all want decent snowfall. Some may see some but Met Eireann's snorefest of a farming forecast is the nail in the coffin. Anyway, Ill take a wee break away from here and drop in tomorrow evening to see if there are any changes.

Hope some of you get snow.

Just for those who didn’t see farming forecast, it did say many areas dry for start of week but then said “we could see accumulations of snow across the country on Thursday” also mentioned a risk of more snow in the East Friday.

Not sure I’d call that a snore fest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

John.Icy wrote: »
    How is say the convection potential for say Scotland compared to us here in Ireland? Are we expecting similar profiles?

Some better echoes heading ashore to Scotland now on Netweather. Any precip. green onwards from experience on Netweather is of fair intensity. But if they have better ehm, parcel delivery (?? :p), then not much use to us.

Tomorrow and Tuesday should deliver deep convection there as mid-levels will be 8-10 degrees colder than further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

Trying it's best here on the meath coast for the last hour, bursts of graupel / hail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Just been out and it's trying hard to snow, the slights little bits are falling, I think you'll only see it if you close one eye and squint the other.... But surely this is a good sign 🀞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭almostthere12

snow grains D13 now, very light but it's a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Just saw two tiny snow specs land in Lucan. That micro blizzard seems to be taking a break though.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Yes it's very strange. Nothing showing on MET's radar but it's snowing outside. Has been for the last while. We are on a hill here.

Can confirm, very light dusting of snow already on Mt leinster and also on the Blackstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Very very light snow falling, Dublin 5.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

barney 20v wrote: »
    Can confirm, very light dusting of snow already on Mt leinster and also on the Blackstairs

Really strange there was nothing showing on the radar though. Very light covering up the hill. Temps are going to be more favourable up there. It's still very overcast and dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

onmebike wrote: »
    Just saw two tiny snow specs land in Lucan.

Look after them and treat them well. They have feelings too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

We had snow grains in Dublin pretty much all day on the 26th of Feb in 2018 prior to BFTE and nothing on radar. Don't think they ever show up. In Jan 2013 similarly we had days of the stuff that wasn't really on radar.

I wouldn't use it as a sign of things to come however. (i.e. something far more significant). Just part and parcel of winds from the east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Is anyone recording a SE wind? All of the stations are E in NI but my station has been SE all day.

In Ulster, Malin Head and Ballypatrick Forest (both at/near the north coast, like yourself) are reporting a south easterly. All other stations are reporting an easterly except for Belfast harbour which is reporting a east southeasterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Villain wrote: »
    Just for those who didn’t see farming forecast, it did say many areas dry for start of week but then said “we could see accumulations of snow across the country on Thursday” also mentioned a risk of more snow in the East Friday.

Not sure I’d call that a snore fest :D

met.ie on their more detailed regional forecasts are featuring snow for eg West May eg Castlebar for Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Really strange there was nothing showing on the radar though. Very light covering up the hill. Temps are going to be more favourable up there. It's still very overcast and dull.

Localised orographic lift precip often doesn't show up on radar. I think it's because the precip forms relatively close to the surface as the air is forced upwards along the slope, whereas in normal precip it falls a longer distance through the sky so easier for radar to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Friend in Essex sent this at 1pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

guil wrote: »

Yep,y sister is out there too. Showing.us videos of the kid on the sleigh. Jammy fecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭rameire

Some lost snowflakes falling Clonee D15.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

highdef wrote: »
    In Ulster, Malin Head and Ballypatrick Forest (both at/near the north coast, like yourself) are reporting a south easterly. All other stations are reporting an easterly except for Belfast harbour which is reporting a east southeasterly

Hmmm, I wonder why that is.

• Advertisement

I would certainly take it make no mistake but I think UK met office over estimated snow quantities outside of Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Just had a bit of graupel there in Swords 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Light snow in Castleknock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Not much to write home about at all! Presumably that’s down round saffron Walden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

another snow grain flurry here in Dublin 5, I was expecting it to stay completely dry but it's not like much is falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

small grains/shower here in SCD too.. really didn't anticipate much until more tomorrow evening!

EDIT: It actually got heavier for a time, all snow grains though but encouraging(?)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just back from my walk, it really is bitter out there. Some random snow grains and ice pellets blowing around in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cb12345

Its trying to snow in Donabate. Without much success. A few small flakes.

Looks very dry in Cardiff for the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

Snow grains blowing in the wind here in Dublin 16. Very light. Nice to see all the same and it’s only Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement