Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snizzle in Dublin 16. 2.9c atm.

New sugar coating at the croghan wind farm 6kms west of Arklow and thankfully within my 5km limit
    It rises to about 670 metres asl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Looks very dry in Cardiff for the match

You would imagine an Easterly wouldn't favour them at all unless the low makes it that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2.9c/-1.2c @ Howth (Down from 3.3c an hour a go)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Tiny tiny flakes in west Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Promising... Small flakes falling in Dublin 15...hopefuly it wil get going tonight and tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"Heaviest" snow/graupel here so far atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Dew point temp at the "SHANGANAGH DUBLIN ACS' Met Eireann station in south Dublin since midnight:

v0NidlM.png

Falling away away away.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Graupel in Dublin 4, melts quite quickly on the ground. Ground temps probably a few C above 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Dry as a bone in Offaly, cold wind and a dropping temp of 3.1C. Nice early spring day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    just back from my walk, it really is bitter out there. Some random snow grains and ice pellets blowing around in the wind.

Pics?

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Light grauple in Shankill, Dublin 18

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Pics?

I would need to be a very professional photographer with incredibly expensive variation of lens and cameras to try and take a picture of them. They are random pin head sized flakes and ice pellets. They are blowing around in the wind more than anything else and you have to be outside for a few minutes to even notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Not meant to snow here... temperature starting to drop.. all animals birds gone quiet..sky full of a blanket of low grey cloud...mountains dissappearing into a veil of grey...errie silence.. maybe we will after all due to geographical situation get some localised showers....but of what!
    Thankfully I am not still renting the 100+ year old house will no insulation where I recorded -12c+ about 10 years ago....that was crazy... I would have been better off in an igloo. Blankets on top of curtains... carpet over exposed water pipes... radiator moved to keep others above freezing under the sink... ice on the inside of the windows...huge fireplace with crane going 24/7 and burning the knees sitting so close...the bed layered about a foot with duvets and skeeping bags..fingers cut off gloves for the cats feet...breaking water in cups in the washing basin in the morning...enough static electricity I thought I start a fire...hair raising.. thankfully had a friend home from Alaska to give advise.

Stocked up so not too worried about this cold snap..only to keep an eye out for neighbours and with everything going on at the moment that is more important than ever.

Please CHECK ON YOUR NEIGHBOURS especially those who are elderly or younger if they live alone and have health issues..if things do kick off a bit worse than expected localy especially later on in the week.... thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would need to be a very professional photographer with incredibly expensive variation of lens and cameras to try and take a picture of them. They are random pin head sized flakes and ice pellets. They are blowing around in the wind more than anything else and you have to be outside for a few minutes to even notice them.

Same on my walk in Dublin 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Wet-bulbs at 3 pm. Light sleet reported at Dublin Airport.

542414.png

Snow depths fairly meagre in England. Just the odd station reporting anything to measure.

542419.png

Wet bulbs hanging on in there...

542417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Still light snow in Castleknock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Once proper streamers start coming in the snow willl start in Dublin... At the moment only high cloud hence the flurries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Once proper streamers start coming in the snow willl start in Dublin... At the moment only high cloud hence the flurries

Don’t expect much today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I say it will be tomorrow evening or night before we start getting dustings, then maybe some light to maybe moderate coverings in places on Tuesday before it goes quiet again on Wednesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Colder air is filtering in. It’s now down to 2c with the dew point down to -3c.

3.2/-1.8c Arklow

Very stable air temp
    Dp down a degree
    Wind ENE to 31kmh
    Cloudy dry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

https://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2021020706/gfs-1-78.png?6
    Reminder of the frigid air over us this week!!
    We don't see this every year, likely 0 to 1C best on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

at this point, this is my 5th snow grain shower since about 2pm... different intensities but interesting to see this happening way earlier than I thought.

Still don't think much of anything very good will happen until Monday evening here but then again I was surprised this afternoon already. :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There was some heavy snow at a racecourse(Musselburgh) in the East of Scotland a while ago. I'd love to see snow like that on Thursday:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

speckle wrote: »
    Not meant to snow here... temperature starting to drop.. all animals birds gone quiet..sky full of a blanket of low grey cloud...mountains dissappearing into a veil of grey...errie silence.. maybe we will after all due to geographical situation get some localised showers....but of what!
    Thankfully I am not still renting the 100+ year old house will no insulation where I recorded -12c+ about 10 years ago....that was crazy... I would have been better off in an igloo. Blankets on top of curtains... carpet over exposed water pipes... radiator moved to keep others above freezing under the sink... ice on the inside of the windows...huge fireplace with crane going 24/7 and burning the knees sitting so close...the bed layered about a foot with duvets and skeeping bags..fingers cut off gloves for the cats feet...breaking water in cups in the washing basin in the morning...enough static electricity I thought I start a fire...hair raising.. thankfully had a friend home from Alaska to give advise.

Stocked up so not too worried about this cold snap..only to keep an eye out for neighbours and with everything going on at the moment that is more important than ever.

Please CHECK ON YOUR NEIGHBOURS especially those who are elderly or younger if they live alone and have health issues..if things do kick off a bit worse than expected localy especially later on in the week.... thanks.

Is that you grace? ;)

Just joking. Have lived in similar and with ice on the inside of single pane glass windows and wearing everything plus a wooly hat to bed. Didnt help the next nearest landmass was Iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

I say it will be tomorrow evening or night before we start getting dustings, then maybe some light to maybe moderate coverings in places on Tuesday before it goes quiet again on Wednesday.

I hope you are wrong possibly will be. Mr Gozo i mean that in the most nicest possible way. Doing a great job as mod too by the way. I actually wouldnt have the patience for it.

• Advertisement

Them is quare daycent dewpoints across northern Europe. Great drying out.

542429.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement