Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

It’s really quite hard to keep up. Some posts suggest downgrade and others not, and I’m never sure who is reliable. What is the latest for Wexford this week and after Wednesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

R.F. wrote: »
    It’s really quite hard to keep up. Some posts suggest downgrade and others not, and I’m never sure who is reliable. What is the latest for Wexford this week and after Wednesday?

Feck all Mon-Wed by the looks of it but at least the sodden ground will dry out and freeze.......creating a great base for a dumping on Thursday if my reading of the latest GFS precip chart posted in the other thread is right. Wexford has the highest accumulations on that particular chart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gozunda wrote: »
    Is that you grace? ;)

Just joking. Have lived in similar and with ice on the inside of single pane glass windows and wearing everything plus a wooly hat to bed. Didnt help the next nearest landmass was Iceland

If you mean me; no! I am very snugly accommodated out here thank you! . We out in the wide ocean have thick walls and small well fitted windows etc. I have never had that kind of problem thankfully. And we get less frost. But more wind. With the gales we protect carefully and well. Like when I was in Orkney; walls three feet thick and small windows and no doors facing north/.east.

And echoing re checking on neighbours please. Please. I have excellent supply lines now. And a neighbour drops turf in occasionally. And I keep well stocked with food etc. Always a months' supply. For me and my seven cats... furry "hot water bottles" that they are....

I think it will be Thursday before anything much happens on this coast, if at all. It is very still and almost eerily and unnaturally calm, and a bitter-hearted easterly breath that chills the very marrow outside. It feels like pre-snow calm and a dark - striated gray sky lower and lower.

We shall see. and camera at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

R.F. wrote: »

Could be epic here (Wexford) Thursday/Friday but between now and then expect nothing more than a few light flurries and be delighted with anything more.

Thursday the big day for widespread snow. And then next week... who knows could be deep in the freezer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There was a discussion earlier on how inaccurate the ECM is for dewpoints. Yesterday's 12Z got it pretty bang on for now, it has to be said.
    '
    542430.png

542431.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's a couple of degrees off in many places tbf, would that be accurate 24 hours out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Could be epic here (Wexford) Thursday/Friday but between now and then expect nothing more than a few light flurries and be delighted with anything more.

Thursday the big day for widespread snow. And the next week... who knows could be deep in the freezer.

Is that chart 3 hours of accumulation totalling about 10mm for Wexford?? I presume thats rain equivalent. Anyone know what conversion factor to use to figure out snow depth? I'm presuming the the cold uppers it won't be heavy dense wet stuff anyway so I imagine the conversion factor would be quite high for fluffier dryer stuff. x10 x20??

Calibos wrote: »
    Is that chart 3 hours of accumulation totalling about 10mm for Wexford?? I presume thats rain equivalent. Anyone know what conversion factor to use to figure out snow depth? I'm presuming the the cold uppers it won't be heavy dense wet stuff anyway so I imagine the conversion factor would be quite high for fluffier dryer stuff. x10 x20??

Very wet snow, around x4-8. For dry fluffy snow, anywhere up to around x40.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

We have another interesting forecast from Snowbie for the week ahead ...... Great detail and very well explained for all levels ......

https://youtu.be/RzKgSHAozVo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2.7c/-2.6c @ Howth

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Some of the fields round here have turned a brown/yellow colour due to the cool weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dublin airport TAF valid until tomorrow evening , mosty dry. Small chance of light snow showers.will feel bitter though easterly wind gusting up to 32 knots.

TAF EIDW 071700Z 0718/0818 08018KT 9999 FEW010 BKN025 TEMPO 0718/0818 09020G32KT
    PROB30 TEMPO 0718/0818 3000 -SHSN BKN010

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Wind fair picking up here,cut ye in two the breeze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm expecting met eireann to issue warnings tomorrow for the East anyway, then Thursday is one to watch as well that could be 2/3 of the country be covered in warnings

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

2.7c/-2.6c @ Howth

Wind at M2 bouy has gone from E to ENE.

2.4c in Dublin 16.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The real cold not far off now, temperature here in Meath now just 2C, should get close to freezing over next few hours. Still the odd spit of snow grains in the wind here.

We should start to see light flurries after midnight. The wind outside is absolutely biting.

temp_uk.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

We better get some snow after that Ireland finish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I thought I seen a flake earlier but it was the ball from Man City's penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think its an omen that England gets all the snow. Maybe we can give them back billy burns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ignoring Thursday for the moment, when do we see as the main windows for shower activity into the east coast over the next 72 hours?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ignoring Thursday for the moment, when do we see as the main windows for shower activity into the east coast over the next 72 hours?

I would say tomorrow evening to maybe Wednesday morning or early afternoon. Tuesday is probably the best day for the streamers. Light snow showers should get going from later tonight, after midnight and into the early morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭KathleenF

1.3C here in D11. Went for a walk earlier at 2C but didn’t feel that cold.

A cold 1 degree at Knock @ 5pm with a gusty easterly wind. A nice windchill up there!

Latest snow depths. Unimpressive away from SE England.

542452.png

Graces7 wrote: »
    If you mean me; no! I am very snugly accommodated out here thank you! . We out in the wide ocean have thick walls and small well fitted windows etc. I have never had that kind of problem thankfully. And we get less frost. But more wind. With the gales we protect carefully and well. Like when I was in Orkney; walls three feet thick and small windows and no doors facing north/.east.

And echoing re checking on neighbours please. Please. I have excellent supply lines now. And a neighbour drops turf in occasionally. And I keep well stocked with food etc. Always a months' supply. For me and my seven cats... furry "hot water bottles" that they are....

I think it will be Thursday before anything much happens on this coast, if at all. It is very still and almost eerily and unnaturally calm, and a bitter-hearted easterly breath that chills the very marrow outside. It feels like pre-snow calm and a dark - striated gray sky lower and lower.

We shall see. and camera at the ready.

Good to see you back Grace. Always nice to read your descriptions of the situation on the island. Keep up the updates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Looks like I may miss out of snow on Thursday too now! I am glad it’s going to stay cold but would be nice to see some snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Gonzo wrote: »
    The real cold not far off now, temperature here in Meath now just 2C, should get close to freezing over next few hours. Still the odd spit of snow grains in the wind here.

We should start to see light flurries after midnight. The wind outside is absolutely biting.

Same here. With the windchill though if feels about -3c

A cold 1 degree at Knock @ 5pm with a gusty easterly wind. A nice windchill up there!

Ouch! I am not setting foot outside again tonight.. I can hear the wind now

• Advertisement

Good to see you back Grace. Always nice to read your descriptions of the situation on the island. Keep up the updates.

Ah thanks. Struggling healthwise more and more but snow events will always tempt me lol..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement