Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see the ECM has upped the streamer potential from tomorrow. Could be a few cms in the east.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Went outside for a few seconds and quickly went back inside. That wind chill is something else. Neither the BFTE nor December 2010 'felt' this cold.

Lucky you,I'm working in it,gusting 40kmh
    I've several layers on though ,2fleeces,a body warmer,a boiler suit,wooly hat and 3 pairs of socks!
    Toasty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The wind chill is crazy alright. My app says it feels like -3c north county Dublin though actual temp is 3c.

Whatever app is undercooking that figure.

Current temps in Dublin of between 2 and 3 at various stations, combined with winds gusting to 60 km/h provides a windchill of between -4.5 and -6C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Cold is one thing, I'll still have to go to work.

Its snow that's wanted and lots of it. Unlucky, maybe next year

The event has only started and people calling it already :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I thought I seen a flake earlier but it was the ball from Man City's penalty

What the hell has happened to Liverpool? Between this and the Rugby , we better get snow on Thursday. Anyway there is some bite to the wind out there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Met Eireann saying warnings will be issued for Thursday on the 6.1 news and weather

any idea or indication when?

If i had to guess, Yellow for SE and parts of West/NW with Orange for all Midlands/Leinster...

Doubt red territory, however I have been following this and if it goes how it's looking, either

A- The East coast never gets the rain
    B- The East coast and Midlands get rain eventually, but the low will stall and dump lots

I find it very interesting, places like Dublin for me could be under about 9 hours of snow before it turns to rain from Thursday afternoon until Friday morning! insane really...

I see the ECM has upped the streamer potential from tomorrow. Could be a few cms in the east.

Wind direction kermie? Gloves not conducive to looking good things up!
    Cheers big ears :D

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

im guessing places like Meath, NCD and Louth doing the best?

Not expecting tons here in SCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Cold is one thing, I'll still have to go to work.

Its snow that's wanted and lots of it. Unlucky, maybe next year

Yes I think Spring wouldn't be unwelcome now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The event has only started and people calling it already :pac:

Well not to be rude but where should I be looking?

I have 2 options

1 is out the window
    2 is online at some charts or maps.
    Any suggestions please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What the hell has happened to Liverpool? Between this and the Rugby , we better get snow on Thursday. Anyway there is some bite to the wind out there now.

Alisson Blunderland, snow in Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Wind direction kermie? Gloves not conducive to looking good things up!
    Cheers big ears :D

Mostly ENE. Showing only trace amounts for your location :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Went for a walk on the beach today. Breeze is plenty fresh, was greeted by the rain on the way home. Everywhere is absolutely soaking though, Soft to Heavy ground for definite, if it does snow I couldn't see it sticking anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

A cold 1 degree at Knock @ 5pm with a gusty easterly wind. A nice windchill up there!

There sure is. I was walking up by the runway a half hour ago and abandoned it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yep and cold surface air never leaves Leinster and Ulster.

Max of maybe 3 degrees in Dublin on Sat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Ground here has that white/grey shade to it that comes with continental air masses. Very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I've been staying quiet today because confidence is seeping away a small bit
    Reasons:
    - subtle changes in uppers Mon to Wed while still very cold are slightly higher than yesterday's show
    - Perhaps linked to this ppn is a little less especially for those of us in the South
    - Met Eireann see very little snow before Thursday
    ( I kid you not I actually nodded off during the 630pm broadcast)
    - While Thursday might deliver for further North I don't see anything for the South coast apart from maybe a sleety wet mix.

So still all to play for but small nudges give me doubts on snow further South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Alisson Blunderland, snow in Sunderland.

Karius 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

My unscientific observation is that the weather is going to be bitter with rain/sleet/snow tonight - the cat is refusing to step out the door!

I am close enough to Dublin airport though, latest METAR is 2 degrees, DP -4 degrees, 21kt E winds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Cloudy here in Carrick on Shannon, 2c but adding that wind chill it's more like - 4, my dew-point is - 3c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Met Eireann saying warnings will be issued for Thursday on the 6.1 news and weather

Just watched it and no warnings at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

“warnings will be issued for Thursday”

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Dublin 5 and I can smell the snow!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Didn’t say what day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Generally Met Éireann don't seem to issue the warnings for the TV forecasts, moreso whenever they feel like it. Often been a case where they announce a warning 30-60minutes before a TV forecast and the warning is completely omitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

Seems east coast radar is fecked whats the best alternative to follow possible precipitation??? Apologise in advance if answered already

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Met Éireann usually issues the warnings when the event is underway ....
    Better chance of being right then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

They said stay tuned to see what warnings will be issued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Every time we get an easterly, I always hear a relentless, eerie roar coming from the eastern sky. It sounds like a waterfall or a swollen river in the distance. Might have something to do with all of the tall trees behind my house, but it's not even windy out.

• Advertisement

Met Éireann usually issues the warnings when the event is underway ....
    Better chance of being right then.

Harsh but fair.

However to be actually fair to ME, as we can see here, forecasting snow is a nightmare in Ireland.

The actual charts we will have tomorrow are what was expected a few days, even a week ago, but no snow. Too much something something fetch wind speed howsyerfather isotherms IOM shadow is causing low convection. Which you can’t tell until a day or so before.

This is what I’ve learned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement