Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

Too much negativity here this evening. The intensity and duration of the cold around midweek has been upgraded little be little. Pressure building to northeast stalls our milder breakdown on Thursday/Friday with very cold surface air continuing to feed from the southeast into the weekend.

This time next weekend we could be awaiting the arrival of deeper cold again from the northeast, with the risk of colder upper level temps than we'll see this week. This week may be just the starters.

Good Post.
    This epic 'potential snow' thread could bring us all the way into March.
    If any proof was needed that Irish people like to talk about the weather....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

TTLF wrote: »
    Surprised to see small ongoing flurries here in SCD. Very light in nature ofc, but very intriguing to see none the less. Radar's show nothing but there are flakes in the wind...

you can really hear that wind roar though, I live in a valley and outside the front upper bedroom there's a crane I can see well to the right which is being used to build the house up there, and it's actually swaying a bit in the wind! :eek:

They're showing up on met.ie radar alright, just hard to make out amid all the interference.

Very light graupel falling here in D.16, I'd estimate the rate at about 7 pellets per square meter per minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Rougies wrote: »
    They're showing up on met.ie radar alright, just hard to make out amid all the interference.

Very light graupel falling here in D.16, I'd estimate the rate at about 7 pellets per square meter per minute.

I counted 8 per m2 down the road from you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Rougies wrote: »

ah yeah you get what I mean, I'm only about 5 mins away from D16 so you're probably getting what I have right now... It sucks that it's light in nature, but once the Irish sea starts to fire up we could be a bit in business as Dublin does well in an ENE although I'm not holding my breath.

I doubt we'll get a dusting tonight because precip is too light and the Irish sea isn't very unstable right now. But tomorrow could be a different story. :cool:

Who knows though. Streamers don't look great this time around but I'm still surprised with what I've gotten so far anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

No reports of snow from Drogheda or surroundings so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Netherlands are under a red level warning for snow and low temps I read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Cold but very dry in Galway. Nice weather for walking.

The land really needs this dry spell. Already starting to see the water levels subside.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭kazoo106

The concentric circles on the radar are caused by snow/ice particles near to the radar source

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Larbre34 wrote: »

Was wondering why no Dutch football today,that answers that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Met Eireann app shows snow for Firhouse Dublin 24 starting Thu evening and all day Friday and Saturday morning.
    I know it's too far away now to be accurate but......... woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

WEATHER ALERT for snowdrift and large-scale iciness until midnight, then code orange

Until midnight, code red still applies throughout the country (weather alert). In the southern half of the country because of widespread smoothness. In the northern half of the country also because of snowdrift, this can cause snow dunes that pose dangerous situations for traffic. In addition, visibility in the snow is poor, sometimes less than 500 meters. In addition, it feels bitterly cold, wind chill between -10 and -15 degrees.

In addition, heavy gusts of wind of 80-90 km / h occur in the northern coastal areas and above the IJsselmeer, code yellow applies for this. In the course of the evening the wind will gradually decrease and the heavy gusts of wind will disappear.

Coming night and Monday morning there will still be extensive slippery conditions due to snow dunes, ice shelves and previously fallen snow. Code orange applies from midnight, this will apply until 12:00 Monday afternoon.

From Monday afternoon at 12:00 a code yellow will still apply for regular slipperiness due to snow residues.

Screenshot_20210207_203900.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very light flurry of snow blowing in the wind in Kildare

Met Eireann app shows snow for Firhouse Dublin 24 starting Thu evening and all day Friday and Saturday morning.

Wouldn't go off that personally, it's a generated forecast with "snow/sleet" in 1C weather so it's a little useless there, however I do believe you're correct... seems Thursday afternoon onwards could be a great "snow storm" if it was heavy enough for the East NE and Midlands, I don't believe the timing but each run still has cold for the East by Saturday and continues to be pushed back... Even if it was a good 6-7 hour snow event that would be amazing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

My parents live in Firhouse, they were wondering earlier about the prospect of snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There will be COPIUS amounts of snow on Thursday and Friday

Chill (outside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There will be COPIUS amounts of snow on Thursday and Friday

Chill (outside)

It looks like there will be, as you know well yourself Kermit, nothings set in stone, why state definitively?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

My sister lives there. She was given a snow day from work today and has been teasing the family whatsapp all day with pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Darc19 wrote: »
    So based on the posts in the last couple of hours, there's as much chance of any serious snow before Thursday as there is of warm sunshine.

And even Thursday is now in doubt.

Basically a boring, cold & damp week?

And it looked so promising :)

Pretty much the summation. I'm holding hope for Thursday, still uncertain as to what way that will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pretty much the summation.

No. It's not.

Went outside out of curiosity because I haven't felt the frigid air yet, and I really have to say it's BALTIC.

I decided to go to my local lamppost and I came to the realization there's actually a lot more snizzle falling that I expected, it just seems so tiny and invisible but the light picks it up with the bigger flakes. :pac:

What will become of tomorrow if we're getting this today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No. It's not.

I'm not interested in a few flakes of snow blowing around. That's why Thursday is interesting. Proper snow chance. This Mon to Weds. snizzle/graupel on the east coast won't be of any interest to 80% here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No. It's not.

IMHO his interpretation of the forecasts is pretty accurate.

Indeed on current trends, Thursday's front keeps getting pushed back west, so if that keeps up, your region may be the only area to see any significant precipitation this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Very pessimistic about our chances now too. Expecting nothing in coastal east Cork.

Confident we will get falling snow but big concern is it might just be grains floating about but giving no accumulations.

Also there are going to have to be major changes to Thursday and Fridays model output for the south coast to see anything more than transient snow from that event. But such changes are possible the way things are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Some breaks appearing in that cloud shield over the UK and heading this way. Max cloud top heights have been very consistently around 3000 m all day and no sign of any higher coming in upstream for tonight at least. A colder upper pool tomorrow should hopefully increase intensity slightly, but still pretty light stuff right up to Thursday.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Proper streamers getting going into eastern Scotland now. Hopefully this is the sort of thing we can expect for Tuesday at least.

Currently all those streamers south of the Scottish border are just snizzle showers except for the frontal stuff that is now dying out over the far south east of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

There is actually light snow falling near Tullamore.
    Tried upload a short clip but can’t for some reason.
    Very surprised here. It’s flakes not ice pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

As an East Coast (Practically on Wicklow Head) inhabitant who has experienced very little snow since 1982, but been spoiled by streamers periodically, did anyone really predict the last few streamers we got, more than a few days out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some flakes in the wind near Dublin city centre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've run outside to check a few times over the past few hours and seen absolutely nothing. Saw more earlier in the afternoon when I was on my walk. That thin high layer of cloud isn't doing us any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RTE just mentioned rain and snow on Thursday only.

Doesn't sound like they are expecting a whole lot this week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement