Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Right, I'm sticking on the big coat and heading out for a walk to see if there's anything in the air here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

lawred2 wrote: »
    RTE just mentioned rain and snow on Thursday only.

Ah here. I've feckin surgery Thursday morning. It can feck off till after I get to the hospital.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Right, I'm sticking on the big coat and heading out for a walk to see if there's anything in the air here.

you'll need a massive torch and 20/20 vision to try and catch the random glitter that might appear through the darkness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UK Met coloured synoptic analysis for 12pm today. Posting it for no other reason than to keep it archived.

zxeVvQJ.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Here is a pic from my video that won’t upload for me.
    Very light snow but nice size flakes.
    Tullamore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Some flakes in the wind here in Carrick on Shannon, nothing on the radar so it's just a local flurrie

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Doesn't sound like they are expecting a whole lot this week

If it was the same as the 1pm news segment on it, they're just reaffirming that there's a more widespread snow event chance on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Here is a pic from my video that won’t upload for me.
    Very light snow but nice size flakes.
    Tullamore.

D0-F5-FB55-01-B6-4-FAD-8-B8-C-F33-E866-C26-EF.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

The weather forecast after the 9 news was good, streamers Monday Tuesday and Wed and the rain turning to sleet and snow as it moves through the country Thursday with some accumulations possible

pad199207 wrote: »
    D0-F5-FB55-01-B6-4-FAD-8-B8-C-F33-E866-C26-EF.jpg

;)

Ha ha. Looks better in the video that won’t upload I swear. 😀
    Anyways I’m surprised and ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think rté meant that it's gonna start off as snow and then slowly transition back into rain. Other than that it's sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

This thread is a week old tomorrow. Hopefully by tomorrow evening or Tuesday somewhere has lying snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

Dazler97 wrote: »
    I think rté meant that it's gonna start off as snow and then slowly transition back into rain. Other than that it's sleet

Looks like it could be snow Thursday and some of Friday in North and East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm
    Knock is the only station at zero with a gusty easterly breeze making it feel very raw up there id imagine.Most other locations steady at 2 degrees. Great to see the place dry here on Castlebar. hope theres some snow for those in the east tomorrow. photos most welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Dazler97 wrote: »

Probably more likely rain/sleet in the far south/south west on Thursday and transitioning to snow over midlands and east as moves up over the country before turning back to sleet rain again by Friday,

850 temps video animation for the last 48hrs. The bunny is finally unleashed.

https://imgur.com/a/juLN1xT

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think at this stage we are all realizing this isn't going to be anything like 2010/2018 in terms of snow. This is no beast from the east and it never was forecasted to be despite what all the rag papers and media report. A true beast from the east is 4 to 5 days of moderate to heavy snow streamers, -10 to -12 uppers across the country as a minimum. Sub zero by day and night throughout the country for several days.

Instead we are in for 3 to 4 cold days, mostly dry and temperatures above freezing by day and slightly below by night. Snow will be limited to favored areas of the east with 1 to 8cm between now and Thursday in Leinster/midlands. A few lucky areas could get close to 10cm or slightly above which is a fairly decent level of snow. However this is way off the amounts that fell during 2010 and 2018. Monday night to Wednesday morning remains the best opportunities for showers to have some sort of intensity to them.

For now Thursday remains very much up in the air and anything is possible that day and into Friday.

Great to see the place dry here on Castlebar.

First time I have seen the roads this dry in months.

New Moon

Baby baby flakes falling in Carlow Town under the street light under a cloudy sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just put the bin out and got cut to ribbons by the breeze for my troubles. My fault for going out in a t-shirt I guess.

But yeah, the amount of evaporation that has taken place since sundown is astonishing, been damp all week and now the hard surfaces are bone dry.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think at this stage we are all realizing this isn't going to be anything like 2010/2018 in terms of snow. This is no beast from the east and it never was forecasted to be despite what all the rag papers and media report. A true beast from the east is 4 to 5 days of moderate to heavy snow streamers, -10 to -12 uppers across the country as a minimum. Sub zero by day and night throughout the country for several days.

Instead we are in for 3 to 4 cold days, mostly dry and temperatures above freezing by day and slightly below by night. Snow will be limited to favored areas of the east with 1 to 8cm between now and Thursday in Leinster/midlands. A few lucky areas could get close to 10cm or slightly above which is a fairly decent level of snow. However this is way off the amounts that fell during 2010 and 2018. Monday night to Wednesday morning remains the best opportunities for showers to have some sort of intensity to them.

For now Thursday remains very much up in the air and anything is possible that day and into Friday.

There lies the problem. Everyone is seeking extreme temps or extreme snowfall.
    5to 10 cm of snow for a day or two is great and more normal for Ireland anyways.
    All expectations are way to high since 2018 and 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Gonzo wrote: »

As much as I'd absolutely love to see a week of snow, I do really hope it's all burned off by Thursday as I have to drive from Dublin to Cork on Thursday morning, and back up again late afternoon!!

... Friday morning it can all come back of course..

Constantly small snizzle still happening here, just never really stops.

On the bright side, the ground is getting a real good drying, so any more "substantial" snow has a better chance of sticking than it did this morning.

TTLF wrote: »
    Constantly small snizzle still happening here, just never really stops.

Where ??

Cw85 wrote: »
    Baby baby flakes falling in Carlow Town under the street light under a cloudy sky

Meant to mention my weather station is showing it as 2.2 degrees with a dewpoint of -3.3

Where ??

D14... like it says in my signature.

South Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

South Dublin.

Your signature is visible on the mobile site, smart hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Chilly but dry in Cork City. Just under 3 degrees. There was some frost on the cars at this point yesterday, not even fogged up tonight.

Doesn't sound like they are expecting a whole lot this week

Yay!!! Snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

South Dublin.

Can’t see signatures on Mobile Version of Boards :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement