Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Your signature is visible on the mobile site, smart hole.

Y'know what I'll take that haha, I apologize about that, didn't realize. Sorry. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

But yeah, the amount of evaporation that has taken place since sundown is astonishing, been damp all week and now the hard surfaces are bone dry.

I'm in Cork and my weather station has shown that the humidity has dropped from 85 to 65 in the past few hours. Quite the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gonzo wrote: »
    you'll need a massive torch and 20/20 vision to try and catch the random glitter that might appear through the darkness.

Nothing at all in the air. Great to see how much drying there's been today. Absolutely nobody out, not even cars. Just the local chipper open but no customers in it. Eerily quiet, except for the noise of the wind whacking the flagpoles of the local school. A lovely night for a walk. I recommend going out there now and taking it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nothing at all in the air. Great to see how much drying there's been today. Absolutely nobody out, not even cars. Just the local chipper open but no customers in it. Eerily quiet, except for the noise of the wind whacking the flagpoles of the local school. A lovely night for a walk. I recommend going out there now and taking it in.

It sounds like your describing a ‘Calm before the storm’ scenario but alas no ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If anything the potential is even less than what the models are showing for tonight. I doubt we're going to see many flakes between now and tomorrow morning. Not going to pull an all nighter waiting for a few flurries to blow in the wind. Hopefully by this time tomorrow we may see our first dusting, but not expecting anything at this stage tonight. The Irish sea is a dead duck at the moment and so is most of the UK away from eastern Scotland and the far SE of England. The drying conditions has been fantastic and was very much needed here in Meath, no more squelch in the garden.

• Advertisement

TTLF wrote: »
    Y'know what I'll take that haha, I apologize about that, didn't realize. Sorry. :D

Where is the signature visible on the mobile site?

Anyway, 2 degrees and windy here, 4 miles east of Athenry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah, will give it a miss. A night for a whiskey and look forward to the next few days

Apparently it is not, although I'm on desktop 99% of the time so I thought it was visible for both, didn't really think about it. Was completely my mistake and didn't mean to act rude about it, my apologies. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Gonzo wrote: »
    If anything the potential is even less than what the models are showing for tonight. I doubt we're going to see many flakes between now and tomorrow morning. Not going to pull an all nighter waiting for a few flurries to blow in the wind. Hopefully by this time tomorrow we may see our first dusting, but not expecting anything at this stage tonight. The Irish sea is a dead duck at the moment and so is most of the UK away from eastern Scotland and the far SE of England. The drying conditions has been fantastic and was very much needed here in Meath, no more squelch in the garden.

From Monday evening onward the action should kick off. You won't miss anything tonight other than sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Anyway, 2 degrees and windy here, 4 miles east of Athenry.
    It's not visible, as already acknowledged :) I'm using the touch site and it's the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Current dew points....

pointrosee_uk.png

TTLF wrote: »
    Apparently it is not, although I'm on desktop 99% of the time so I thought it was visible for both, didn't really think about it. Was completely my mistake and didn't mean to act rude about it, my apologies. :P

Don't see it myself.

No offense taken here, just thought I was missing something.

Don't see it myself.

No offense taken here, just thought I was missing something.

yeah as seen here, on desktop site it's under the posters name :D
    Simple misunderstanding though I didn't realize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Your signature is visible on the mobile site, smart hole.

I think this typo has caused some confusion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm all in for Thursday night. 10cm widely and up to 25cm in favoured spots further east. A quick return to mild maybe on Friday but at that stage I won't care

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Just took a walk along the prom in bray, pretty sharp out tonight. Nothing in the air other than some sea foam being whipped up by the wind. The sea is in an angry state tonight, wind blowing some savage looking waves in. Not the biggest waves but mean looking stuff. Wouldn't want to be out at sea working the deck of a ship tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

From Monday evening onward the action should kick off. You won't miss anything tonight other than sleep.

Action??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

So this is where I think we are this evening for the Southern contingent,

Monday & Tuesday look like seeing quite a few snow showers along the coast giving a dusting of 1 or 2 cms to places like Waterford and Cork. In fact Tuesday morning could see an hour or two of more organised showers.
    Wednesday looks much drier but very cold with temps barely above freezing.

Thursday morning sees a band of sleet and snow moving up giving several hours of falling snow for even the South coast. This will turn more marginal as the day goes on but not before nearly everyone sees a decent fall.
    Friday turns milder from the South.

Further outlook, this is where I differ to most as in I don't see the Scandinavian high aligned enough for us rather the Atlantic taking a foothold across the country.

Whatever happens guys do one thing drop the laptops and get out and enjoy the weather if you can..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

I'm all in for Thursday night. 10cm widely and up to 25cm in favoured spots further east. A quick return to mild maybe on Friday but at that stage I won't care

Amen to this, I’d take a dumping to enjoy for the night. Mother Nature can do whatever after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I think we are going to struggle to get these -2c and -3c minima with all this cloud which really is rather pathetic with the <-10c 850hPa’s right now.

In a continental climate it would probably be about -5c under the cloud anyway..

You would think the cold air would be advecting down right now. Such a waste of arctic air. Probably would be above freezing even with -20c 850hPa’s in this place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Thursday evening according to a few models.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Every station on met.ie above freezing at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Every station on met.ie above freezing at 10pm.

I suspect it will remain that way for most as long the consistent cloud clover persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I suspect it will remain that way for most as long the consistent cloud clover persists.

I checked Nra weather reports. Only one at freezing. Lough Mourne in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Couldn't resist a wee peek in to see how things are panning out. That's some cold blowing tonight. Went for a ramble up the lane with the two dogs and even they were mad to get back inside and into their beds. Bitter.

Well I have to say the mood in here has changed. When I last checked in earlier today it was all getting very exciting again and I was quietly optimistic that things were on the up. Things have changed and it's very frustrating for us all. We spend all winter praying to get locked into a bitter easterly and look what has happened... no more than a few light snow showers for the east coast and a very short lived spell of snow for some on Thursday. And before anyone says it, we all know deepndown that this 'event'is over. Met Eireann know its nothing significant and I wouldn't be surprised if Thursday turns into a damp squib. I'm a realist. Time to look ahead , though to what exactly , as we don't know have much time on our side.

People must also realise something. Much of the North West saw no snow in March 2018. As for 2010, yes we had extremely low temperatures, but only about 5cms of snow... some places had none. We are starved for a decent fall here and this one opportunity has faded before it even began.

If there is one small positive from this whole mess is that the drying outside is phenomenal. The water is just lifting off the land and the roads etc are cracking dry. 👌

I agree.. we’re probably not going to see snow here at all.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I checked Nra weather reports. Only one at freezing. Lough Mourne in Donegal.

It’s subzero about 150-200 metres. But will remain that way due to the wind and cloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Currently have some snizzle
    2.5C
    Dp -1.6
    Wind easterly, cut you in half

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

So this is where I think we are this evening for the Southern contingent,

Monday & Tuesday look like seeing quite a few snow showers along the coast giving a dusting of 1 or 2 cms to places like Waterford and Cork. In fact Tuesday morning could see an hour or two of more organised showers.
    Wednesday looks much drier but very cold with temps barely above freezing.

Thursday morning sees a band of sleet and snow moving up giving several hours of falling snow for even the South coast. This will turn more marginal as the day goes on but not before nearly everyone sees a decent fall.
    Friday turns milder from the South.

Further outlook, this is where I differ to most as in I don't see the Scandinavian high aligned enough for us rather the Atlantic taking a foothold across the country.

Whatever happens guys do one thing drop the laptops and get out and enjoy the weather if you can..

I’d be fairly sceptical of any lying snow in southern counties such as Cork city and county save for very high ground.looks a midlands and east event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Snowbie wrote: »
    Currently have some snizzle
    2.5C
    Dp -1.6
    Wind easterly, cut you in half

Welcome back :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement