Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Hoping for a nice white surprise in morning judging by that....

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

CardinalJ wrote: »
    You're an excellent hypeman.

Not a complaint

Not hyping.

Could lead to absolutely nothing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

The activity building across England is quite enhanced at this point. It's even snowing just south of Manchester and Liverpool now.

And the first tentative echoes are getting in to the Irish sea. Seems to be a number of convergence zones in there. A surprise coming maybe?

Anyhow night all.

Looks at radar. Looks again. Looks at last frame. Takes out imaginary ruler in her head... ‘eeeeeek maybe!!!’ God I love Irish weather. The rollercoaster thunders on and I’ll sleep in hope as always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Juts popped the head out to look about when letting the cat out and it's trying to snow here. Some small bits falling intermittently (Waterford city)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

very light snow flakes here in co.down all evening, seems to be coming off the Mourne/Dromara mountains, temp -1C

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just took one last trip outside and still not a flake. Nothing seen here in south Meath since the few random snow grains during the afternoon. Radar over the UK is starting to become much more organised, hopefully that will be us by tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Delighted to get the proper cold air in. And to enjoy the rollercoaster distraction from life. And I don’t care at all if it doesn’t snow (although it would be the icing on the cake!), the cold dry air and the amount of drying of the ground done already will keep me happy. I think our back garden was about to sink completely

Indeed. While not expecting much or anything here in West Clare, it's a nice distraction from the doom and gloom that is covid and never ending lockdowns.

Feb 12th in Arklow 1978
    43 years ago next week
    If anyone can dig up the historical chart
    Paging Oneiric

Looking extremely marginal for West Clare, I'll be interested to see if we get anything.

If anything, my initial reports will be a good indication of what's to come for the rest of the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

The activity building across England is quite enhanced at this point. It's even snowing just south of Manchester and Liverpool now.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

And the first tentative echoes are getting in to the Irish sea. Seems to be a number of convergence zones in there. A surprise coming maybe?

Anyhow night all.

As long as some make it over the Irish sea then where laughing, also I see the Welsh shadow effect towards the end of that run

• Advertisement

I'm so jelious my brother is in vancouver and he's getting snow are really cold frigid air sinking South towards Wednesday and Thursday, why everywhere else getting the cold and snow expect us.

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Feb 12th in Arklow 1978
    43 years ago next week
    Paging Oneiric

Found the chart
    An Easterly of course with an embedded low

NOAA_1_1978021112_1.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Are we going to be stuck at 1-2c throughout this cold spell? It's been 1.5c-1.7c here for EIGHT hours. If we're not going to get snow, a frost would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dew point of -5 now at Dublin Airport ,temperature 2 and an easterly wind gusting 33 knots. Wintry night!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Gonzo wrote: »
    just took one last trip outside and still not a flake. Nothing seen here in south Meath since the few random snow grains during the afternoon. Radar over the UK is starting to become much more organised, hopefully that will be us by tomorrow evening.

Is the radar showing anything over you or did you just go out to see if the radar was broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Feb 12th in Arklow 1978
    43 years ago next week
    Paging Oneiric

Yes I live in Cork and I clearly remember getting a heavy snowfall and a few days off school that week back in Feb 1978.

Woeful diurnal ranges here! 0.2c variation in the last eight hours! If this is what this easterly is going to be I hate it!

tonights GFS 18z is turning out to be very much a mild outlier from the 12th. Most members keeping it cold. The mean shows an even smaller mild blip compared to the 12z.

ens_image.php?geoid=64969&var=201&run=18&date=2021-02-07&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

Thursday into Friday is now looking rather snowy across all the country except for coastal parts of the far south-west.

102-780UK.GIF?07-18

And my area again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's a link to a map for 18z on 12 Feb 1978 (it was a Sunday apparently).

The low in Quebec, Canada is the remnant of the "Blizzard of 1978" which hit New England on the 7th. It came about as far out into the Atlantic as southeast Newfoundland by 10th and retrogressed to Quebec. The deeper low in the Atlantic formed in its wake.

The snowfall event in Ireland was caused by low pressure and an east to northeast flow associated with a fairly large upper trough, 500 mb temps on another map panel show the -10 contour north-south through central Ireland.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis.php?map=1&model=noaa&var=1&jaar=1978&maand=02&dag=12&uur=1800&h=0&tr=360&nmaps=24#mapref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Dazler97 wrote: »
    As long as some make it over the Irish sea then where laughing, also I see the Welsh shadow effect towards the end of that run

How can you see a Welsh shadow from snow showers coming in from east England that haven’t even reached wales?

• Advertisement

See small areas of clearance over Scotland. Hopefully we drop down to 0c soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Feb 12th in Arklow 1978
    43 years ago next week
    Paging Oneiric

Believe it or not this is in the second class History book for primary school.

Not a speck of snow by me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Breeze picking up in D3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a few baby snow showers have just left the Liverpool and Cumbria coastline and are starting to track into the Irish sea, could this be the start of our streamers!

a few baby snow showers have just left the Liverpool and Cumbria coastline and are starting to track into the Irish sea, could this be the start of our streamers!

It appears they aren't making any progress across the Irish sea, at least as it appears on the radar. Looking back to the radar from 2 hours ago, there doesn't appear to be any discernible difference. Also appears to be a stagnant shower since early today just to the northwest of Liverpool. Radar blip at my guess.

Using Netweather radar.

Loving the mention of significant accumulations on Thursday on the Met Éireann forecast. Even if short lived, I would love to see some settled snow on the ground this winter!

You can see that the <-10c 850hPa isotherm has reached Northern Ireland! Such a waste of cold air to be stuck perpetually above freezing.

https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/sondage_display.php?id=3918&map=2&date=1612738800&map2=2

Hopefully this cloud isn’t with us for too long.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    How can you see a Welsh shadow from snow showers coming in from east England that haven’t even reached wales?

No towards the end of it showers where going over Shropshire and into Wales and disappearing, no they may be strong enough to pass over and head towards Dublin/wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Please god let it be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Trying again here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement